[MAC] x-plane crashes on loading CRJ

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few precisions if it may help :

After downloading v. 1.1, I made 2 ou 3 flights of more than 1 hour without any problem. I did not uninstall xpushback for that reason. After 2 crashes on the same flight (LFQQ-LFLB), as I reported above, I removed xpushback, flew exactly the same flight and could land "safely" at my airport's destination. So, if there is some plugin's incompatibility, crashes' causes seem very aleatory.

Daniel.

Thanks for your testings. I have said Cameron those new people that have this mac issue send them the 1.0 if they buyed the plane in the 1.1 so they can fly it.

We need your log.txt and crash-log.txt files. If not Philipp (that maybe it will take a time before he replies this time) won't be able to find the issue.

Thanks

PD: I would like to know why you had so many copies of vascore folders. That should no happen. Only a Vascore folder should be inside resources/plugins.

Another 1 hour testing with mac.. NO PROBLEMS AT ALL..

ok.. I please ask you all to do this:

Test the 1.1 version flying all time you can whatever direction you want inside x-plane 9.69 demo version.. NO PLUGIN ADDED. only 1.1 version please.

also try to resolve the font issue as said by Philipp in the first replies. this post

if you have tested this already both things (added.. not separatelly.. all over the clean demo version) then you don't need to do it again.

BUT IF someone did it and report still CTD.. DOESN'T MEAN it will behave the same on the computer of the person that didn't try. Every configuration is different... and NOT ALL MAC version are having this issue.. so I again think there is something between the 1.1 version and your system.. because I CANNOT MAKE IT CRASH in my Mac.. with activation the same you all have.

Thanks, and sorry for the inconvenience. Anyway... I repeat.. that still 1.0 version is over there.. and for some of your works better than this 1.1 version, so you can still use it, or ask Cameron to send it to you.

Thanks!

PD: by the way. I am trying to download XUIPC plugin to test with it.. but I can't It is not in webpage.. is WIP...... where I can download it? But try to make the CRJ compatible with a plugin that is WIP and has issues.. damm... is difficult!!!

ok, now I have gone and really messed things up. I deleted all Vascore folders, then tried to put some back. When I try to install the Original CRJ200, it says the Vascore files do not exist?

actually says, "Take Command CRJ-200/dist/vascore/vascore/vascore/lin.xpl does not exist"

any thoughts on how to fix my mess? thanks

Elbert

ok, now I have gone and really messed things up. I deleted all Vascore folders, then tried to put some back. When I try to install the Original CRJ200, it says the Vascore files do not exist?

actually says, "Take Command CRJ-200/dist/vascore/vascore/vascore/lin.xpl does not exist"

any thoughts on how to fix my mess? thanks

Elbert

Elbert,

Run the CRJ Uninstaller in your main X-Plane directory. After doing so, go run the installer application again to get you back up to snuff.

don't you have the 1.0 version installer in your computer saved? Ask for it to X-Aviation.. but first uninstall everything of 1.1 with uninstaller.

hope you can fly. 1.1 had issues.. with compatibility also.. but it seems to be more stable inside MAC. Differences in 1.1 and 1.0 are not so big.. so you wouln't loose too much in it. Hope you can fly.

Cameron, I had an Uninstaller but it is not there now?

Can I get a copy somewhere else?

thanks, Sorry for an unnecessary problem

Elbert,

No, the uninstallers are unique to each machine. You'll need to go through and make sure the following are removed manually and re-install on your machine:

1. CRJ-200 from the Aircraft/X-Aviation folder

2. Shrinkwrap, Gizmo, and Vascore from X-Plane/Resources/plugins folder

3. JRollonPlanes folder and all of its contents from the main X-Plane directory

4. In your user home directory of OS X: Library/Frameworks/:

You should remove libcurl and the two QT folders in there.

Once all of the above has been deleted, re-run the 1.1 installer.

1. What causes the crash?

The crash is caused by a well known problem of the Mac OSX font engine, that affects a variety of applications besides the CRJ, like Photoshop CS4, Adobe Flex, Cubase and ArchiCAD.

Various fixed have been applied throughout the lifetime of OSX 10.6 that fixed some, but not all of the issues.

With the CRJ 1.1 version I changed some minor details in how the displays are drawn, to make the fonts look nicer and make appearance more consistent between Windows and OSX. Apparently, one of those details triggers the dreaded "HandleOFAScalerMessage"-crash that we are talking about.

I also had this crash once, but was able to fix it for my Mac completely by following the advice at http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2509 "validate problematic fonts"

The crash itself occurs in a library provided by Apple, not by the CRJ or the Qt Framework the CRJ uses. Thus the underlying issue can not be fixed by us, we have to rely on Apple to fix this in the OS.

2. What we do about it in the short term

As we didn't get any complaints about the displays looking a bit less smooth on OSX than on Windows, I am going to release a hotfix for OSX that just rolls back the change to the display font.

Don't worry, you are not going to lose any of the fixes provided in 1.1, the functionality remains entirely the same. You are just going to see the old display font again that you are used to from the 1.0 version (also I got some request to restore it anyway, as someone liked the old version better. Well, this is apparently a matter of personal taste).

3. What we do about it in the long term

If I report the problem to Apple, chances for a fix are very dim. So I'm going to report the issue to the provider of the Framework, Nokia. So far I already reported some issues there and the responses have always been very productive. So we can hope the issue gets escalated to the guy who glues the Qt libraries to the Apple libraries, and if this guy reports the Apple, chances for a fix are higher by orders of magnitude than if anyone of X-Avation does this.

4. What you can do about it while we prepare the hotfix

If you google for "HandleOFAScalerMessage" you will find various suggestions.

As I said, I was able to eliminate the issue on my Mac completely by just deleting a duplicate font.

You are not going to speed up the process by sending me private email or forum messages.

Philipp

Phillip,

Thank you greatly for the very through reply, this is helps a great deal.  I will try your advise on cleaning the the fonts ...  and also wait for the hot fix.  Btw ... know it's a matter of taste, but rolling back the fonts is no problem for me.  I didn't mind the old format at all.  Again, thanks for the quick replies and advice.  The CRJ is still the best plane out there in my humble opinion.  Looking forward to getting air born again.

Phillip,

If I can bother you again.  Tried cleaning the fonts ... and seemed to get farther in the check list ... then it crashed again.  I've attached the Log.txt and Cycle Dump.txt  Is this still a font issue or something else?