Gizmo Reminder Bug

mga010

I'm sorry but that's very obnoxious. VERY distracting. And to say it's just for error reporting does not justify an ugly string of text at the top of the screen. 

Oh - you can get rid of it, you just have to go back to the slower stable version.

At least allow a toggle function, jeez.

Relax, guys.

We are providing the Gizmo beta for those willing to help us test it. This comes with some benefits, but also with some burden. It is exactly the same as installing an X-Plane beta version.

Now the funny part is - the customers perception of what a beta run is is not the same as the vendors.

The customer thinks that a beta is an improvement to the product. Not a regression. Anything not an improvement or at least being equal is considered a HUGE disappointment.

The vendor releases the beta to test it against these regressions. Often that includes special "beta" options, such as increased logging of inputs and variables, or has other requirements.

So here is the lowdown:

If you want us to help make the next version of gizmo stable, smooth and an improvement, please install the beta version and provide feedback. It comes with some benefits, but also some caveat. Install at your own will, we appreciate your help!

If you don´t want to, install the stable version.

The white writing will stay until the beta run is over, how ever long that may take. You are entitled to a Gizmo version that is stable and has no white writing. You have that one included in your installer.

If you guys keep going on about it I can tell you exactly what will happen...There is a LOT of internal discussion at X-Aviation if it is the right thing to include betas with our product, and I think I just about was able to sway the opinion to what we have now. If I won´t succeed in the future, you know why. But at least you won´t have the white writing anymore, then :P

Cheers, Jan

Edited by Litjan
  • Upvote 2

There are known bugs in Gizmo that are likely responsible for some % of the FPS difference too.

Things aren't running 100% as they should.

For example:

I have the choice between investigating deep system bugs or coming up with a nice soft and gentle reminder system about beta expiries and error log detail.

Seemed an obvious choice to me.

• Upvote 2

I'll admit, I let my temper get the better of me earlier. Was looking forward to giving the update a test-fly this morning only to be spending my time trying to find a setting that turns off the white text at the top of the screen (I like taking screenshots other than to report bugs). And then to find out that I have to go back and download/install the stable version to get it away. The cherry on the cake being that, for some reason, my internet decided to take twice as long to download the stable version. Not the way I was hoping to spend my morning.

Still think there should be a way to toggle the text string but you are the developers - not me!

And now the stable version says my licensing info is not valid.. That I must connect to the internet...... Which I am..........

Edited by Sdwr87

Hi Sdwr87,

I totally know the feeling of "when all things don´t go as expected"...so no worries. I hope very much that we are not far away from the stable 20.xx version, Ben is working his *ss of to get to the bottom of the remaining quirk(s).

A lot of users are really good about reporting bugs, posting detailed explanation and attaching the Log.txt. But we had so many frustrating queries with not much to go on for us...

Rest assured - your and our ultimate goal is congruent: Having a high-performant and stable Gizmo version without any on-screen interjection for the customer.

Cheers, Jan

Edited by Litjan
  • Like 1