Release Candidate 1

The processor is hyperthreaded. Essentially, this means duplicating the parts of the CPU which feed information in the parts of the CPU which do the actual calculating. The idea is that, since the calculating parts spend most of their time waiting around for information to be fed into them, the parts which feed the information can take advantage of the idle time to get more work done.

We will have to wait until the CRJ ships to see how well the hyperthreading works.

Thanks for the clarification here, Don!

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Javier, you might want to change the intro text for your older videos of the CRJ like the light show, as it still says the project is on hold! Only just tried the video link from x-aviation as I'm finally back in wifi land (ha, on a tram with free, FAST wifi, mustn't be peak hr!)

At least you can watch them.

Fuc*ing DRM germany doesn't allow to watch it any more, because of the music  >:)

Dont you hate that?! Pointless, these videos have probably contributed more to sales of Chicane albums than they'll ever know. I bought them..

just having a chuckle over the computer discussion a few pages back...  like... age has never

been a function of a computer's power.   If you are committed to haveing x-plane run

with its potential, invest!  Dollars spent on a hobby you enjoy are dollars well spent IMO.

and the technology is not prohibitively expensive these days. a decent computer tower, $500(usd) ~ ish

and upgraded gfx card, $250 (+/-)   you know you can earn that much at McDonalds in a month if you try.  Im not knocking anyone, just saying,  If you are really into this product, and x-plane in general,

get your plans together to aquire the hardware to enjoy it the way you want too. At the bare minimum refrain from moaning on because the technology has advanced beyond the hardware you happen to have on hand at the present moment.  we can rattle on ad-nauseum about low frame rates or we can dig our heels in and make a high power computer box happen!  Go Team!    :):o ;D

That's what I'm thinking. The quad core should help with the multi core threading that is used by X-Plane 10 and the CRJ, when they go 64 bit upgrade the RAM. the graphics card will probably be the first thing that gets outdated. however now is not a good time to buy a new Imac, since the update will be out in a few months. I'll try the CRJ and re evaluate. I've got a MBP so that is no slouch either...

Get a pc for 1k bucks, and you will be finde, for the next 2-3 years.

You never know what you get, when you buy a mac. i5 sounds nice, but which one?

I guess thats one of the old pre-sandy. Those are about 20% slower than sandy bridge.

An i5-2500k (not overclocked) is euqal to, and sometimes beats an i7 6core.

And if you are near the end, you cannot even overclock them. I have testet my i5

with up to 4.5GHz and it was stable. So in case there might be a bottleneck somewhere

in the future, i know that i just have to overclock from 4 to 4.5GHz and will be finde

another half year or more.

I have an iMac i7, 2.8 GHz, 8 GB DDR3 Memory, with 512 MB ATI Radeon HD 4850. (purchased in Dec' 09). I run X Plane at nearly maxed out settings, and typically achieve 50+ FPS, but in severe weather over built up cities, will bog down to 19 FPS and fog. I am definitely, 100%, certifiable, committed, and not holding back in any way, on buying the CRJ when released. From what I've read I should see no difference when running the CRJ. I will definitely post my results for everyone on rendering settings and FPS issues, or lack thereof, when I get it going.

An i5-2500k (not overclocked) is euqal to, and sometimes beats an i7 6core.

Depends: for a plane like the CRJ, expressly designed to use multiple cores, the more cores the better. The same will likely be true for X-Plane 10, which is being designed to make use of as many cores are you have.

Depends: for a plane like the CRJ, expressly designed to use multiple cores, the more cores the better. The same will likely be true for X-Plane 10, which is being designed to make use of as many cores are you have.

I got this from tomshardware.de and .com.

They made a lot of cpu test with synthetic test and games.

The i7-2600K (4C/8T) beat the more than three times expansive i7-980X(6C/12T) even by being clocked slower.

So there is absolutely no need to buy a 880€ cpu, when you can get the same performance with a 240€ cpu.

If you really utilize all cores, then yes, a i7-2600K would then be it. HT gives you 15-25% higher scores in those

benchmark tools vs the i5-2500K. But you spend >41% more money, to get only 15-25% more performance.

The i5-2500K is currently available for about 170€. Always keep in mind, those are numbers from the german market,

could be different for you. But i guess you still get the idea :)

But keep in mind, those benefits of a HT cpu, are not really there when it comes to gaming. It's only worth for a lot

of en-/decoding and benchmarks.

They made a lot of cpu test with synthetic test and games.

The i7-2600K (4C/8T) beat the more than three times expansive i7-980X(6C/12T) even by being clocked slower.

So there is absolutely no need to buy a 880€ cpu, when you can get the same performance with a 240€ cpu.

If you really utilize all cores, then yes, a i7-2600K would then be it. HT gives you 15-25% higher scores in those

benchmark tools vs the i5-2500K. But you spend >41% more money, to get only 15-25% more performance.

The i5-2500K is currently available for about 170€. Always keep in mind, those are numbers from the german market,

could be different for you. But i guess you still get the idea :)

But keep in mind, those benefits of a HT cpu, are not really there when it comes to gaming. It's only worth for a lot

of en-/decoding and benchmarks.

Go read back earlier in the thread and you will see that, for the CRJ, performance scales linearly with core count. As I said, Phillip programmed the systems specifically to use multiple cores/threads. I have a feeling that HT will be used effectively as well.

I know that, but it sounds like you think, that HT makes a huge difference.

Just wanted to show you, that there is not such a huge difference between

4C/4T and 4C/8T. HT is used to minimize the idle times on the cpu, because

instructions need some time to be prepared for the cpu itself.

So while HT cpus give you more out of the same count of cores, they don't

scale that well, and even worst when comparing price/value.

That's all i wanted to say.  :)

Backing away from the 7500, I've now read the manuals several times and am very much looking forward to it even more. Lets hope that installer bug on the mac got worked out and that we will be seeing her very soon. (And from my own personal gain, I hope it's tonight, since I have Thu/FRI off but have to work Sat-Mon. Not that I expect that it will be ready quite that soon) It's kind of neat to enjoy the pre release tension, though not so much for the developers.

I know that, but it sounds like you think, that HT makes a huge difference.

Just wanted to show you, that there is not such a huge difference between

4C/4T and 4C/8T. HT is used to minimize the idle times on the cpu, because

instructions need some time to be prepared for the cpu itself.

So while HT cpus give you more out of the same count of cores, they don't

scale that well, and even worst when comparing price/value.

That's all i wanted to say.  :)

What I said was that we'll have to wait and see how well HT works with the CRJ. HT performance is highly dependent on what the CPU is doing, how  often the pipeline has to be cleared, how well the branch prediction is working, etc. The only way to find out will be to wait and see.