Weird cloud formation

dscott3984

In aviation pilots refer to them as -CBs- for Cumulus Nimbus from the meteorology, no pilot under it normal senses will enter there no matter being on a big jet. You round them. They have huge ascending/descending flows than can be thousand ft tall, lot of precipitation, icing, lot of turbulence. They are highly dangerous.

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/photo/cumulus-nimbus-cloud-mojave-desert-royalty-free-image/457995793

you can google images for cumulus nimbus too see more.

Edited by mmerelles

We've touched on this a million times, our interpretation of -cb- it's obviously one of the most polar topics with SMP...

Frank has tried other approaches and settled on this for performance and visual appeal...

Important to appriciate that it's actually modeled into the engine for the purpose of similation.

• Upvote 1

Like them Cumulus Nimbus or not, I want to note that they require too much fillrate in the current version and thus need further optimization. Even on a perfectly running setup that has been tested endlessly for bad weather (= many clouds) situations and stays above 30fps at all time, these clouds, when close and looking straight at them, can bring the framerate down to 20 (or by about 40%). Then picture whats going on when 5 of them are drawn next to each other. Please consider this for future versions, as the "rest" is performing super well and stable (FPS wise) when set to 10km draw area.

I dunno, any feature is going to require more resources, be it lens flare or crupuscular rays. If it's hitting your system too hard you might want to think about optimization again.

I'm only saying this because I don't see the same issue, yes they do impact but totally doable....

I might do more testing what exactly happens there, but considering I am running a conservative 10km draw and my 980ti is completely bored with 60% GPU load and 2 Gig's of VRAM to spare during ANY situation considering weather - it's really suspicious these fellas cause this HEAVY hit in terms of frames. Not all the time, but try flying towards one, it will get messy.

In all seriousness, I drove past about seven CB clouds the other day that looked just like this here in Florida. People have different expectations of what storms look like based on where they live, and what they've seen in other sims.

That said I won't say there isn't room for improvement - there always is, and we're always working on it.

21 hours ago, sundog said:

In all seriousness, I drove past about seven CB clouds the other day that looked just like this here in Florida. People have different expectations of what storms look like based on where they live, and what they've seen in other sims.

That said I won't say there isn't room for improvement - there always is, and we're always working on it.

How was your framerate :D ?

• Upvote 1

Britannic weather encyclopedia "Characteristics of thunderstorm" : Thunderstorm can be many tens of kilometres in diameter with a top that extends to altitudes above 18 km (10 miles).

This is thunderstorm? :huh:

LES_Douglas DC-3(Wheels)_10 (1280x678).jpg

These are thuderstorms!

Chaparral_Supercell_2.JPG

Anvil_shaped_cumulus_panorama_edit_crop.

Cumulonimbus_incus_cloud_Jan2008.jpg

And this is the comparison of a real thunderstorm and Skymaxx thuderstorm:

cm6PSPo.jpg

Is this "visual appeal"?

Micro-Thuderstom... is visual appeal?

Is good?

Is real?

The simmers do not ask "Pixar Studio thurdestorm graphic"!

But at least the correct size to satisfy the visual appeal.

• Upvote 1

Our thunderstorms range from 5-7 km in height. Look at the cloud's size relative to the trees it is over, not relative to your plane in the foreground.

They are small by cumulonimbus standards but not physically implausible. We need to keep them on the small side in order to guarantee acceptable performance.