FJS vs IXEG?

fffirefly

Once the 737-Classic is release I will spend a lot of time learning/flying this baby, but do like all the planes I have, and will take them for spins now and then. The 727 is one of my favourites and I intend to keep using it same way i still use the first x-plane 10 jet I bought, the CRJ 200 (actually bought for xp9)

Different taste of "flying" with those two birds. Both have the challanges to make difficult to fly not like a "point and shoot" video game.

I like FJS because it is still Boeing and the member of my favorite 737 family, and because it is the only available 3D cockpitted, well developed bird of this sort.

As it seems the new one - the classic -  will be another favorit in my personal fleet. I will see it after the first few flight. I hope that release date is not far beyond the horizon...

I am confident I will love both, and I already love the 732 and 727.   My only "concern" is that it will be really really awesome to find that the two 737's feel the same when flying approaches to land by hand, etc.   I think there is a bit of "voodoo" involved in going from the joystick control input in a simulator to the control deflections that are modeled in X-plane. (Perhaps it is better than the look up table based FSX world?)

But it will be so awesome to be able to feel like the two products from the same vendor have the same type rating and the aerodynamics are similar.  (I know in fact the wings and control surfaces were slightly redesigned in moving from the 732 to the 733, so seeing the slightly different approach and stall speeds would be unbelievable!)

Since there are in fact a few eyes in this forum who have had a chance to fly both... would be curious to hear.   But also totally understand if you all are busy with flying this plane or debugging. :-)

When I started flying the 737 in 1996 I just missed out on getting rated on the -200 as well. So I can´t make any general comparison about flying the real derivates, however many pilots I spoke to said that the characteristics were indeed quite different.

I can´t make any comparison about our model and the FJS one, since I don´t have any FJS aircraft.

Jan

I think there is a bit of "voodoo" involved in going from the joystick control input in a simulator to the control deflections that are modeled in X-plane.

No Voodoo :)

It is called reverse engineering.  We use information from many sources; Real FDR data, Performance engineering manuals

on both aircraft and engine (the real engineering stuff, not regular pilot operating manuals), and many hours in the  big full motion simulators

testing edge of the envelope situations.  Finally, we have our real 737CL pilots do quality assurance tests on the feel and numbers inside the envelope.  

We have also "tuned" XP's flightmodel in many areas to get where we want.  So we know (and can prove) that we are extremely close inside the envelope,

and very close on the edges.  Together with XP's superior flightmodel, this will give you a very unique experience handflying this aircraft.

And actually, it will also dramatically improve realistic operations on autopilot.  Your vertical profiles on climb and descend will be very realistic, engine performance

in the entire envelope etc.

So the "voodoo" is a combination of having the best information available, engineers that can understand it, programmers that can code it, and pilots that can test it,

and offcourse the best sim platform ;)

M

Edited by Morten
  • Upvote 5

So the "voodoo" is a combination of having the best information available, engineers that can understand it, programmers that can code it, and pilots that can test it,
and offcourse the best sim platform

M

Absolutely, and that is what we all love about the IXEG effort.  All I mean is that given that a joystick is different than a real yoke, and that the forces involved in holding it are so different, it is somewhat subjective (hence my word "voodoo") in how to map the deflection of the joystick into control deflections, isn't it?    Or do you just use a linear relationship that full deflection of the joystick is the same as full deflection of the controls and then test roll rate, etc. matches real life data?      

Or do you just use a linear relationship that full deflection of the joystick is the same as full deflection of the controls and then test roll rate, etc. matches real life data?      

Yes, more or less because thats how it is in real as well.  To take one example, the real 757 and 767 have about the same rollrates at full aileron deflection.

However (if I recall correct), the 757 yoke you can turn 180 deg left/right, and the 767 only 90 deg left/right.  So, the 767 will FEEL alot more sensitive than the 757...

And that is offcourse the same with different joysticks, they have different deflection angles, stick hight, spring force etc.  So the only thing we can really control is

that for the same % of deflection, everyone will have the same rollrates and pitchrates - like the real aircraft has.

When I started flying the 737 in 1996 I just missed out on getting rated on the -200 as well. So I can´t make any general comparison about flying the real derivates, however many pilots I spoke to said that the characteristics were indeed quite different.

I can´t make any comparison about our model and the FJS one, since I don´t have any FJS aircraft.

Jan

I'd call that almost criminal. Not to use your forum to advertise another developer - and you should probably stay far away from making a comparison in public to avoid drama - but do pick up Jack's two Boeings. They're an absolute joy and you're missing out, Jan! ;)

What I don't like about FJS and one reason I've never bought a FJS product, was one livestream where Jack said that the IXEG 737 would only be hype about nothing and so on. When I asked him, why he would say so, he answered "I know the devs". Since he afterwards said that consumers should support him and not other devs because he is doing flight sim development full time in contrast to others, to me it was clear that he actually feared that people wouldn't buy his products after the IXEG release.

It just disappoints me when people - sometimes devs - try to split this really small community of flight sim or - even smaller - X-Plane.

And therefore I really appreciate statements like Jan's, when the FF767 was released, that we should go buy this plane as well because it sounded quite promising.

But nevertheless I think I'm gonna buy a FJS plane in the near future as soon as I can afford it. Jack seems to be doing a great job developing completely on his own.

Edited by K4bel123

I'd call that almost criminal. Not to use your forum to advertise another developer - and you should probably stay far away from making a comparison in public to avoid drama - but do pick up Jack's two Boeings. They're an absolute joy and you're missing out, Jan! ;)

I think so, too - I have only heard good things about those aircraft... the truth is that I don´t really have the time to fly X-Plane for leisure, anymore :-(

Jan

• Downvote 1