[In Progress] Save Situation

Lawnmower

Instead of having to go through the whole engine start process each time (even with autostart) as it takes way too long, I tried saving the aircraft situation so could just start each time already in the air via "load situation", but the situation is loaded in the air without the engines started!  

Anyone else had the same problem?

Yep that would be an awesome update, I really do not want to sit through an engine startup every time I just want to practice a few approaches preferably from a saved position in the air with the donks running.

Even if that was not possible, maybe shorten the time to starter cut-out to a more realistic time. 

Also a bit frustrated that the CL's require assignment every time too...

Otherwise a top looking sim.

Even if that was not possible, maybe shorten the time to starter cut-out to a more realistic time. 

Come on Ben! A CT7 does not take that long to start. 

Agreed! 30 seconds would be realistic. 

I'm not sure if we have control over this, but we'll certainly investigate.

Guys,

We did extensive research on this.  The start time is approximately 55 seconds, which is dead-on accurate.

See this video...  

Changing this is NOT going to happen!

Jim

Lead Programmer

LES Saab 340A

• 6 months later...

The engine start in this video was obviously done using a battery cart (not a GPU as the second start was a cross gen), being a direct start says more than likely a cold engine possibly first start of the day, not sure why he guards the ignition switch before start (hot/hung start memory items require ignition switch OFF immediately), but this scenario would definately result in the longest possible start time (cold engine, battery cart).

Just saying.

The engine start in this video was obviously done using a battery cart (not a GPU as the second start was a cross gen), being a direct start says more than likely a cold engine possibly first start of the day, not sure why he guards the ignition switch before start (hot/hung start memory items require ignition switch OFF immediately), but this scenario would definately result in the longest possible start time (cold engine, battery cart).

Just saying.

A cross-gen start of the second engine DOES NOT guarantee that a GPU was not used.  There are many other examples on YouTube and elsewhere of Saab engine starts with GPU starting the first engine and cross-gen start of the second.

I'm glad you now realize that you were incorrect when you said...

Come on Ben! A CT7 does not take that long to start. 

Obviously (as per the video) the Saab can take that long to start.

Just saying :)

Edited by JGregory

Totally Jim!  Agree that a saab CAN sometimes take that long to start, but would more likely be worse case of a cold engine and/or poor external power output such as a battery cart as opposed to a GPU or even better/quicker start, aircraft batteries as this is a series start of 48V. 

Why wouldn't you trim the time down on the sim for minimal fuss on the ground?

As for the video, not sure why he would have done a cross-gen start with a serviceable GPU on the ground though, unless it had poor voltage output/recovery during the first start (which he didn't monitor).

Im not bitching.  Back when I originally made the comment of how long the LES Saab takes to get airborne I was just a bit frustrated in finding out that you couldn't save situation or reposition the aircraft (in the air) with the engines running.  For instance if all you wanted to do was practice multiple instrument approaches from a position, in practice for say a check coming up (thats the only reason I purchased Xplane and the Saab add-on, not for leisure), its not possible, you need to go through the whole start sequence each time you want to position to a different airport.

Again the LES team has put together a state of the art aircraft for xplane that is so close to the real thing, its extremely impressive.  Im not having a dig, just putting my thoughts on the forum.

Thanks.

Standard ramp procedure when working Mesaba's Saab fleet was to GPU start 2, disconnect the GPU, then start 1. Lot safer to play chicken with one turning prop than with two!

That has been my experience as well. Thanks.

Why wouldn't you trim the time down on the sim for minimal fuss on the ground?

It's just not as easy as you make it seem.