New scenery project

I started this project last December while waiting on some NorCal data to be completed. I'm now working on this full time. I'll release the location later, :D but wanted to show you some new technology that is going into this scenery package. This new scenery will use very high-resolution elevation data and also a very detailed coastline.

I've included two sample images which illustrate the level of detail in the elevation model.

This image shows the elevation used by the X-Plane global scenery. This elevation data provides a good general approximation of the earth's topography, however, many subtle terrain features are just not possible to show at this resolution. Lowest elevations are shown in blue and highest elevations are shown in red.

This image shows the high-resolution elevation data that I am using in this new project. Notice how many more terrain features are visible at this resolution.  Preliminary flights in X-Plane show an amazing difference in detail.

post-136-131369578848_thumb.jpg

post-136-131369578864_thumb.jpg

All clouds have been removed - spent almost a week hand editing lots of imagery! Here's a sample of what you'll find in this new scenery.

Warning - this image is 4096 wide! :D

You can right-click the image below and save the image to your computer if you don't wish to view it in your Web browser.

Note: This image has not undergone final processing yet...

Enjoy!

post-136-131369579866_thumb.jpg

WOW, that image looks awesome.

and i just found out i may be going to the island next year to visit my cousin who lives there full time.

i wonder what plane rental costs are out there cause i would love to fly around the island.

may i ask, is this project here gonna take a long time or did you pick this island to do cause it can be a jumping board to bigger and better things and probably wont take as long to finish? Not sure how long or how much work you put into this, but i can see this type of scenery becoming popular for sure.

All clouds have been removed - spent almost a week hand editing lots of imagery! Here's a sample of what you'll find in this new scenery.

Warning - this image is 4096 wide! :D

You can right-click the image below and save the image to your computer if you don't wish to view it in your Web browser.

Note: This image has not undergone final processing yet...

Enjoy!

Is that the airport of Dillingham?

Amazing photo terxture!

This project will be include night textures, 3D objects(townes, airport buildings, etc) and trees? Or it only phototerrain?

WOW, that image looks awesome.

and i just found out i may be going to the island next year to visit my cousin who lives there full time.

i wonder what plane rental costs are out there cause i would love to fly around the island.

may i ask, is this project here gonna take a long time or did you pick this island to do cause it can be a jumping board to bigger and better things and probably wont take as long to finish? Not sure how long or how much work you put into this, but i can see this type of scenery becoming popular for sure.

Hope you can find an instructor and plane to rent - I'm sure that would be a blast!

I've spent several weeks developing a lot of the new technology that is going into this release. This will be the new standard for the high-resolution (HR) scenery. Just like NorCal, it will feature:

- Full airport edits to runways/taxiways/ramp areas match the underlying imagery

- Night textures

- Transparent roads so the X-Plane auto traffic travels on the actual roads in the imagery

- High-resolution hydrography (coastline/lakes/rivers and other water-ways)

It will feature higher-resolution imagery than NorCal. It will also feature new transitional water effects and a higher-resolution elevation model.

This will be done very soon (I'm hoping within the next week, as all the major work is now finished -although you never know when you'll run into an unforeseen problem! :() - I would anticipate this being released ahead of NorCal due to the new distribution system that is currently being developed by X-Aviation to handle that release.

The sure way to know I'm done with a project: The release of the official gallery on RealScenery.com. :D

I'll announce the gallery here when it is complete and ready for viewing.

Thought you may be interested to see the difference between the default elevation and the enhanced elevation used in the Island of Oahu scenery.

Note: The imagery you see is not the final processed imagery. It's in a pretty raw form just for testing purposes.

Enjoy!

Default from X-Plane Global Scenery:  :-[

Enhanced elevation with test imagery:  ( yes, this is really the same area! ;D )

post-136-131369580058_thumb.jpg

post-136-131369580074_thumb.jpg