• SkyMaxx Pro v4.9.1 Brings Vulkan Support

Cameron

SkyMaxx Pro v4.9.1 has been released and includes experimental support for Vulkan. Mac users may still enjoy the latest update while using OpenGL.

This update is free for all current v4 users of SkyMaxx, and includes numerous optimizations for better performance.

You can find more information about v4.9.1 in the release notes in this forum.

SMP4_2.jpg

Edited by Cameron

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

1 hour ago, kokkatepraanot said:

XP is crashing 11.50 b1

Log attached - SKYMAxx is the last thing - always its the same

Log.txt

It’s not indicating that SMP caused the crash and it appears you are running the beta in Vulkan....

I’d report this to LR and we will look into on our side, but expect crashes with the beta....

4 hours ago, dom said:

will there be an update soon, to get SkyMaxx Pro running with Metal on MacOs with XP 11.50?

X-Plane can be ran in two modes on Mac: OpenGL or Metal

When using OpenGL selected in rendering settings, you may fully enjoy SkyMaxx Pro v4.9.1.

There will not be a Metal version of SkyMaxx Pro v4 for Mac, sadly. The reason was clearly laid out by Laminar Research (developers of X-Plane) in the following words:

"...3-d drawing compatibility will be available for Vulkan, but not Metal. The technique we are using is not available on OS X, so running a cloud plugin on Mac will require the OpenGL driver, not Metal. This isn’t something we can fix with some future bit of cleverness – it’s a limitation of OS X’s APIs. (We would revisit this if Apple introduced a new API but I do not expect this to happen.)"

You can read more about that here:

https://developer.x-plane.com/2020/02/cloud-add-ons-and-vulkan-episode-iv-a-new-hope/

In other words, it's simply impossible to do.

On X-Plane 11 b6 in VR close-up overcast skies I'm getting a kind of double-vision--as though the eye convergence is wrong.  It is bad enough that I can't use overcast at all in VR.  Cirrus & cumulus seem better.

I use SkyMaxxPro, RWC and FSGRW since a long time and I like it very much. There are amazing and wonderfull moods with clouds, shadows etc. during flights. I don't want to do without this addon anymore.

Though I noticed in the last time, maybe since updating to X-Plane 11.50.b... (vulkan), that the cockpit is more or less completely dark if I set in SkyMaxxPro 4.9.2 cloud shadows intensity to 1.0 (s.picture), that is changing after a while, but unstable. Then I noticed especially during turns or other views changing directions sharp geometrical lines respectively areas (s.pictures). If I switch shodows intensity to off it's all "normal", but no shadows animation in the scenery and it's really a pitty. You can see the log.txt and my X-Plane settings in the attachment. The last picture shows a scenery with normal shadows intensity 1.0 setting and it looks beautifull, but it changed during flight as I described above.

b738 - 2020-05-04 16.52.39.png

Log.txt

b738 - 2020-05-04 15.33.29.png

b738 - 2020-05-04 16.44.08.png

b738 - 2020-05-04 16.44.33.png

Einstellungen X-Plane 11.png

b738 - 2020-05-04 16.37.16.png

b738 - 2020-05-04 16.36.21.png

Edited by Sky Cowboy
    Complete the problems