Why so few aircraft?

derekking

Yes, my thoughts exactly sundog. The re-sellers provide a valueable service for a reasonable percentage of the sales. Not only do they add value by providing a place for individual addon creators to market their products to a wide network of flight sim ethusiasts, they also give a person trying to sell their creations more credibility. Think about it, would you rather give your credit card information online to a reputable re-seller like X-Aviation or to some unknown individual on JoeBlowCreations.com.

I started buying addons for X-plane 9 3 or 4 years ago. Back then the selection was pretty slim. I took a chance and bought my first plane, which was the superlative MU-2, even though I wasn't entirely comfortable with putting my information out on the site I bought it from. Not everyone would take a possible risk like that however. Most would rather stick to where they feel comfortable. Xplane products are now listed on traditionally MS Flight Sim  sites like Aerosoft, Just Flight, and Carenado, but for a while it was a bit wild wild west seeming.

When I bought Javier Rollons' Beechcraft Mentor, I purchased it on his own website store. Everything was fine until I had a problem getting one of the updates to work correctly. I emailed him, but it took some time and back and forth correspondence before the issue was finally resolved. I was patient through the whole thing as I understood how hard it was for him to check his website and all the other forums everyday and his email inbox for customer questions or concerns. Then he was having to deal with every problem or question by himself. I never blamed him or got upset with the delay in addressing my problem, but not all people would be that understanding. Since his products have been added to X-Aviation, I have had a much smoother experience with my purchases. The CRJ-200 has had numerous updates since I bought it and I've had a few hiccups along the way which were dealt with promptly by the professional staff of X-Aviation.          

Yes, my thoughts exactly sundog. The re-sellers provide a valueable service for a reasonable percentage of the sales. Not only do they add value by providing a place for individual addon creators to market their products to a wide network of flight sim ethusiasts, they also give a person trying to sell their creations more credibility. Think about it, would you rather give your credit card information online to a reputable re-seller like X-Aviation or to some unknown individual on JoeBlowCreations.com.

This actually happened a little while ago.  I won't mention any names, but a developer decided to sell his own add ons and publish for a small handful of other developers.  There were problems with the add on and soon after, the developer just up and disappeared.  People left with "broken aircraft" and no channels of communication.  Publishers who's sole responsibility is publishing aircraft are very much needed.  Developers have enough on their plate without having to answer support emails.  We'd never get any work done.

• Upvote 2

This actually happened a little while ago.  I won't mention any names, but a developer decided to sell his own add ons and publish for a small handful of other developers.  There were problems with the add on and soon after, the developer just up and disappeared.  People left with "broken aircraft" and no channels of communication.  Publishers who's sole responsibility is publishing aircraft are very much needed.  Developers have enough on their plate without having to answer support emails.  We'd never get any work done.

I never knew that was the reason. Makes sense now. 

As stated by others, I feel much more comfortable releasing my information to one trusted company (X-Aviation) vs. releasing it to countless different companies. It also allows for smoother and more expedient service.

• 1 month later...