Work Continues------- SkyMAXX Pro WIP Shots

JohnMAXX

Ok folks a very early, early, early look at what we have been up to with SkyMAXX.  Keep in mind this isn't even an Alpha.......I just want to share our progress so far....

What you are looking at in this early preview:

• Lens Flair
  • More detailed cloud textures
  • Reworked shaders
  • Towering cloud formations

WE still have a lot of work to do,  but even this early we are very excited with how things are shaping up.....

I hope you enjoy :D

6YLr1E3.jpg

GGA9Nts.jpg

xCzoSib.jpg

rBqAgVs.jpg

ZNaxF3B.jpg

2Zk8IF2.jpg

Vu5InR9.jpg

TRWXtvK.jpg

qUUKs3N.jpg

PXOoXTw.jpg

Edited by JohnMAXX
  • Upvote 11

Looks very promising.  Has me curious about a few things:

Lens flare is an interesting idea.  Would it be possible to reference some sort of views dataref so that the effect only shows from an internal view?

What criteria would you use to generate towering clouds (cloud layer thickness or clouds at multiple layers or random)?

Are the color variations in the clouds part of the shader tweaks or MAXX FX?

That's really starting to look very nice, John. Your work is one of the key pieces to the X-plane puzzle necessary to push the sim beyond it's tipping point and into mainstream exceptance and success. The haze in the 2nd and 3rd images from the top coupled with the light streaming through is certainly atmospheric. Hopefully with continued refinement, we can start to see more defined shapes within large formations of towering billowy cumulous clouds. That's really the main reason why REX in FSX looks so good, at least from a distance that is. Of course plastering high res picture billboards against the sky is FAR easier than accomplishing realism with true 3D procedual particles. FSX is great for screenshots, but when you're flying through the clouds, the illusion breaks down as the flat 2D images reveal themselves.

True 3D clouds are much more interesting. If you can start to pick out even more nicely defined shapes within the formations through light and shadow techniques, the X-plane skies will be truly breathtaking.

P.S. Do you think there is a way for you to work on changing the white out look? Or is that something hard-coded that only Laminar can fix. The uninspiring solid grey color that you get when flying through a cloud layer is a well known problem. Seeing your clouds as they pass right outside the window would be SO much more immersive.           

P.S. Do you think there is a way for you to work on changing the white out look? Or is that something hard-coded that only Laminar can fix. The uninspiring solid grey color that you get when flying through a cloud layer is a well known problem. Seeing your clouds as they pass right outside the window would be SO much more immersive.           

The white out never existed in Skymaxx.

In XP you can eliminate the white out via art controls/ lua script.

I guess that XP10.30 will do that for you by default.

Flo

Thanks for the kind words and suggestions guys,  in brief if you look at the images you can see some more defined cloud textures.....

My goal is to bring more contrast to the new textures and I am working on that now......But I am very keen on keeping the spirit of SkMAXX intact, so don't expect a REX clone....

Looks absolutely fabulous. The clouds in Sky Maxx are to my mind much more real than REX and with all the continuous improvements going on across X plane I really do believe it should become the sim of choice.

I have FSX with tons of add ons and also P3D v2 but X plane, which I only came to at the beginning of this year, is the only one I fly now. So disappointed with P3D and it cost $200! Interesting looking at their forum today that one of their developers even agree that the flight model is awful an they will rely on TPs to build decent flight models into the products. X Plane feels so much more real in flight (and I know that a lot of additional work is done by the TPs, but just compare a product available to both sims and there is no doubt which one feels right - IMHO).

John love your work - every time I fly up through your clouds them I am grinning from ear to ear. These enhancements will make it even more fun and realistic. Thank you - can't wait.

• Upvote 1

Looks absolutely fabulous. The clouds in Sky Maxx are to my mind much more real than REX and with all the continuous improvements going on across X plane I really do believe it should become the sim of choice.

I have FSX with tons of add ons and also P3D v2 but X plane, which I only came to at the beginning of this year, is the only one I fly now. So disappointed with P3D and it cost $200! Interesting looking at their forum today that one of their developers even agree that the flight model is awful an they will rely on TPs to build decent flight models into the products. X Plane feels so much more real in flight (and I know that a lot of additional work is done by the TPs, but just compare a product available to both sims and there is no doubt which one feels right - IMHO).

John love your work - every time I fly up through your clouds them I am grinning from ear to ear. These enhancements will make it even more fun and realistic. Thank you - can't wait.

Thank for the kind words I am glad you are enjoying our efforts........

:D

just got the skymaxx 1.3.3 update email..........Wow!  amazing dude   love it.

Just to be clear, what you see in the above screenshots from John is not a part of the recently released update today. This stuff is slated for a forthcoming update, but enjoy the new stuff anyhow! :)

• Upvote 1

Hi John,

Just got the SkyMaxx Pro update installed.  NOW I owe you TWO lunches. :D

Excellent, it is scary to think what you are going to come up next, I might stop flying and just start looking at the clouds. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, great job and constant improvement, love it.

Thank you SkyMaxx Pro Team.

Cheers, AJ ;)

Hi John,

Just got the SkyMaxx Pro update installed.  NOW I owe you TWO lunches. :D

Excellent, it is scary to think what you are going to come up next, I might stop flying and just start looking at the clouds. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, great job and constant improvement, love it.

Thank you SkyMaxx Pro Team.

Cheers, AJ ;)

Maybe in 1.3.4 John can release a Cloud with a VC and FMC ;)  :D

Im still contemplating whether I should buy skymaxx pro or not. I am afraid that if I do, i might get little fps because my hardware may not be good enough,  however I think its fine. Im just really unsure how my computer will handle it. Those screenshots looked fantastic though. Want! 

Edited by captainamerican

Im still contemplating whether I should buy skymaxx pro or not. I am afraid that if I do, i might get little fps because my hardware may not be good enough,  however I think its fine. Im just really unsure how my computer will handle it. Those screenshots looked fantastic though. Want! 

buy it, 1.3.3 really boosted my fps through the roof :)   i'm getting like 500fps :D  jk..........buy it, you'll love it.

Edited by HarryCYUL
  • Upvote 1