NORCAL - Announcing RS Autogen!

Cameron

Hi Folks,

It's been quite a while since we've had an update in here, and it's been a long road to get to this point. NORCAL has gone through multiple iterations, transitions, and ideas. On top of this, over the last year we have entirely re-worked the backbone of our delivery system to be more robust and be able to handle a package the size of NORCAL.

One of the more common requests we have had over the years is for some form of autogen to be present with RealScenery products, and I'm happy to announce that starting with NORCAL we have a solution for this! RS Autogen utilizes our own autogen generating scripts and the X-Plane object library, combined with custom and default (depending on data matchup) autogen information to get it to line up properly over the imagery. This includes roads, buildings, and trees. Without a doubt, this adds a whole new level of immersion! I'm also happy to report that using this autogen with RealScenery allows for a better FPS value than with default X-Plane scenery. This ultimately allows you to crank up your autogen settings and enjoy the scenery to the fullest extent!

I typically add photos here that fit within the width of the forum, but this time I am going to provide links to fuller sized images so you can get a feel for the objects over the imagery.

The next steps now is our final upload and test of the files, as well as finishing up the organization and delivery of content to you as customers in how we will begin to now offer tiled areas instead of just the full package.

Click the image links below, and I hope you enjoy what you see! :)

Preview Image 1

Preview Image 2

Preview Image 3

Preview Image 4

• Upvote 5

These are fantastic images. The only thing hampering them is those damnable brown mid-rise Bronx style tenement apartment complexes everywhere. They stick out like a big sore thumb and generally ruin the beauty and realism of most of the world in X-plane. IMHO they should just be banished from the world entirely. Those really only work in certain areas of cities such as New York and Chicago anyway. Why Laminar decided on those art assets, I'll never know.

Otherwise, great work! Preview 2 looks to beat FSX even with expensive addons such as from Orbx. 

• Upvote 1

These are fantastic images. The only thing hampering them is those damnable brown mid-rise Bronx style tenement apartment complexes everywhere. They stick out like a big sore thumb and generally ruin the beauty and realism of most of the world in X-plane. IMHO they should just be banished from the world entirely. Those really only work in certain areas of cities such as New York and Chicago anyway. Why Laminar decided on those art assets, I'll never know.

Otherwise, great work! Preview 2 looks to beat FSX even with expensive addons such as from Orbx. 

There's a simple fix over at X-Plane.org, "Autogen projects building height temporary fix". It simply sinks the buildings into the ground, making their height more reasonable.

• 1 month later...

You will be waiting a long time, lol

Wow, harsh. Have you ever paved new ground in an field? I have, it takes time, often you start over, and start over, and start over...

To paraphrase Tim Cook: It's more important to be right than to be [fast].

I've been working on a pay-ware project for almost 4 years. While a lot of that was learning, much of it was clean-slate, I can do this better, start over. So where am I stuck? The ortho landscape. Looks great from the air, but looks like I need new glasses when taxing—this is a 50+ year old, highly landscaped, family owned airport.

My fear? NorCal is going to redefine XP scenery to an extent that I my have to cut my target price in half. 

Edited by gthomas