SilverLining Crashing My Flights

cruster

We'll take a second look at the code your log is pointing at. There is no obvious cause for this happening in 1.3.2 so bear with us - especially given our inability to reproduce the error.

(For others reading this thread thinking "OMG SkyMaxx is going to crash on me" - probably not. This issue only affects MacOS and has only been observed while flying for many hours in one sitting while using the XSquawkBox add-on - sometimes.)

Edited by sundog

thank you very much for the support, I appreciate. hope you will find a fix.

We'll take a second look at the code your log is pointing at. There is no obvious cause for this happening in 1.3.2 so bear with us - especially given our inability to reproduce the error.

(For others reading this thread thinking "OMG SkyMaxx is going to crash on me" - probably not. This issue only affects MacOS and has only been observed while flying for many hours in one sitting while using the XSquawkBox add-on - sometimes.)

thank you very much for the support, I appreciate. hope you will find a fix.

vgmm009, can you please check what your overcast quality setting is at in the SMP configuration? Do you happen to remember if you were flying into overcast conditions when this happened?

If it is set to "low", I suspect setting it to medium or high instead will clear this up.

Edited by sundog

It could've hit you just as an overcast layer was about to be injected - I think this might be it still. It also explains why many other people reported that the 1.3.2 patch cleared this up - I bet they were running on medium or high. Look forward to hearing the results, and thanks for working with us on this.

• 2 weeks later...

Just purchased SMP yesterday and must say it is a vast improvement over the stock XP cloud renditions.  I have had 3 CTD scenarios out of 6 flights so far.  These have all happened on VATSIM through XSB.  Today I flew about halfway from RJAA to PANC before the CTD and then I removed XSB from the plugin folder and successfully made the same flight with the X-IvAp plugin.  I'm on a i7 iMac running Mt Lion (10.8.5) and XP 10.25

SMP is an awesome plugin that I wish I'd had earlier.  I'll continue to switch off between XSB and X-IvAp to see if this is my issue.

Thanks,

Nano

Edited by Nano

John,

I had another CTD today on a VATSIM flight using XSB.  The crash happened 3:12 into the flight at FL350 with scattered clouds below.  I was flying the FF B777 Worldliner and everything appeared to be going well.  Attached are the log files including the crash report that posted immediately after the CTD.

Hope this is valuable.

Nano

CTD.rtf

Log.txt

Yes Frank, the overcast quality was set to low.  Being a new SMP user and having only 512 MB of VRAM, I figured that was the best setting to start out at.  I'll try a flight today with it set to medium and see what happens.  Will report back.

Nano

Well, I successfully accomplished 2 long range flights today with no issues.  I varied all the settings on the configuration panel including the "overcast quality".  The second flight was 5 hours with overcast quality set to "low" for the entire flight.  No issues.  There were no segments of the flights that were overcast as the VATSIM weather was better than expected.  I will continue to watch this closely and forward any crash reports that result from a CTD.  

For now I'm enjoying the SMP product with what appears to be an improvement in frame rates on my 2009 i7 iMac.  

Thanks. Based on an analysis of the code, I think this error would only get triggered on MacOS when flying into overcast conditions with the overcast quality set to "low" - and even then it's a matter of chance as to whether it would happen. It seems like long-haul VATSIM flights are more likely to trigger it for some reason. My advice for MacOS users however is to avoid the "low" overcast quality setting until we issue an update to plug this rare problem.

Nano, that most recent crash was not caused by SkyMaxx Pro. Rather SASL got fingered for it in your logs, following what looks like a lost connection to a server. SilverLining (SkyMaxx's plugin name) doesn't show up at all in your crash log.

Ben's probably right. I think setting overcast quality to something other than "low" did actually prevent SkyMaxx Pro from crashing in response to whatever odd conditions were going on, but there is a source of CTD's outside of SkyMaxx Pro going on here.

Edited by sundog

I certainly don't doubt it that this is a problem with another plugin.  In fact, I believe XSB64 is a prime candidate.  I'm currently on a 6 hour leg using XSB with OQ set to "Med".  We'll see how it goes.  

BTW, the lost connection to server is a result of running XHSI on another computer on my network.  XHSI doesn't play well with B777 Worldliner FMS and I forgot to shut it down before the flight.

Nano.

• Upvote 1