Climb & Takeoff Power

Emirates380

The manual says not to advance the throttles from this position but its climbing very slowly.

This would be when CTOT is active. After you've disengaged the "airplane is yours".

Maybe Im not doing the climb settings properly? Start with 180 H.. then 160 M?

This will maintain speed based on angle of attack (or adjusting it). You still need throttle power to achieve optimal configuration. 

Ahh ok, thanks for the clarification :D   That makes much more sense.  It climbs beautiful when I advance the throttles and keep everything within the limits.

This part of the manual confused me:

Please Note: When turning off the CTOT, DO NOT increase power to maintain your 
climb. This is now your CLIMB power. 

I was told by the F/O on Saab 340B  to do it this way.

At 1000 AGL CTOT switches off, PL reduce to 80% or 820 ITT, condition levers to 1230, prop sync on, bleed valves reset/auto, taxi light off, verify climb power on the chart.

From there climb 160.

I was practicing it quite a few times and it worked pretty well for me. Cheers, AJ 

I was told by the F/O on Saab 340B  to do it this way.

At 1000 AGL CTOT switches off, PL reduce to 80% or 820 ITT, condition levers to 1230, prop sync on, bleed valves reset/auto, taxi light off, verify climb power on the chart.

From there climb 160.

I was practicing it quite a few times and it worked pretty well for me. Cheers, AJ 

AJ,

That procedure is very close to what I use, and it works very well.

Good to hear that , Tsetsoh. :)

Quick question, very close means it is a bit different, what exactly is the difference? Just curious.  We know that there are many possible acceptable variants but I am trying to fly LES Saab 340A as close to real life as possible.

Cheers, AJ  ;)

AJ,

The reason I said it was "close" is because I am not always as precise at doing things as you are -- and that is not a criticism of your technique.  After takeoff, and when it appears to me that the aircraft is climbing appropriately (at about 1000 ft), I do a quick check of systems and gauge readings, make any corrections, and then turn off the CTOT.  I then set PL and condition levers, complete remaining checklist items, and clean up for the climb out to cruise.

So, although what I am doing is not exactly what you are doing it is "close."  I meant my original statement to you to be a compliment because you make a good effort to do things correctly (just as you did when we were both at CAL Air).  ;)

Cheers,

Chuck Williams

Edited by Tsetsoh

Chuck !!!!  :D   That is YOU, I remember now.

Well, thank you for the compliment, I did not take your response as a criticism anyway.

As far as criticism, it is always welcome because we learn  by hearing from others what we do wrong, I am always open to it and never get mad unless there is a personal "stab" present, you know exactly what I mean.

Are you a member of the VPA  https://www.virtualpilots.org/   ?

I started a thread there about LES Saab 340A where I am experimenting, talking to the real life F/O on SAAB ( version B but it is close enough) and having lots of fun.

LES SAAB is so well developed that it is a pleasure to learn things and find out that what you learned is actually modeled.

I will  ask few things here in the future because I am determined to learn LES Saab 340A inside out. :D

Good to "see" you Chuck.  :)   Cheers, AJ 

• 4 weeks later...

Vinny,

You're wrong.  The TCDS indicates the Maximum Operating Altitude for the Saab to be 25,000 ft.

The aircraft is certified to 31000' but can only be operated to 25000' with passengers as it has no drop down oxygen masks, ferry flights up to 31000'.

They can be fitted to the corporate version and the 31000' is then applicable with passengers.

The aircraft is certified to 31000' but can only be operated to 25000' with passengers as it has no drop down oxygen masks, ferry flights up to 31000'.

They can be fitted to the corporate version and the 31000' is then applicable with passengers.

The type certificate, as Jim has pointed out, indicates a max operating alt of 25000.