Track IR 5 and X-Plane

Hueyman

Hello

Been using this cool device with no problem on DCS, but never succeed to really make it works great in X-Plane ...

I tried PilotView plugin from lord Barbour, but never succeed to got great values ...

Anyone using this one with X-Plane 10 ( I use 10.22 64bits ) with good values to start tweaking from ? At least to be in the ballpark ?

Thanks !

Works a treat for me as well. Make sure Trueview is selected too ... and I use PilotView as well (Sandy's plugin).

Another thing to remember that catches some people out is that when using PilotView, you need to disable TrackIR in the X-Plane interface itself .. everything happens thru PilotView.

Ok thanks I'll give it a try !

But once, I had success with pilotview, but eachtime I went outside and then 3D cockpit again, I had to reactivate the plugin ... I hope it's a mistake from my side, as if it's like it should be used, it is not ergonomic at all !!

In default X-Plane Track IR management, I spend half my life outside the plane ... backseat or on the roof !

Thanks

But... that is totally dumb isn't it ?!!!

In all other sim, the Track IR only deactivate on ext.view then automatically re-enable when entering in the cockpit again ...

Any line to edit in this plugin to make it automatic ?

No it's not 'totally dumb' ... it's a manifestation of a perspective that doesn't match yours. :)

I use the work-around that I proscribed and it works well for me.

I'm also eminently grateful to Sandy Barbour for creating the plugin in the first place.

My suggestion to you is that you either;

1. Write your own plugin that suites your modus operandi, or
  2. Find a way to communicate with some sense of humility (i.e. lose your air of entitlement), with Sandy Barbour, or ...
  3. RTFM ... it's all in the manual, and you're exhibiting impatience and impetuosity ... both traits that can get a young pilot killed ... especially if they're thinking of a career in Army Aviation ... trust me I know.  ;)
Edited by Kris Pryo
  • Upvote 3

He he please do not talk about what you do not know thanks ;-)

Then, I took time to search here and there before actually post here to ask for help, as I'm using this little device for all over sims without problem. It just started to be sad not to be able to use it on my favorite simulator.

Also, if the man ( and trust I'm thankfully to him for doing such work ) decide only to fullfill his wishes, then why release it to the public ?

I mean, 95% of the Track IR supported games/sims do not require to re-activate that plugin each time you switch view that is really annoying. I have already the F12 re-centering control mapped to the Warthog, don't want to loose another button to frantically press it to enable what should be the default mode of operation.

Now, if you want to tell me how I must think, then we won't be OK man. Don't get me wrong, I have respect for everyone here and elsewhere but yes, I say what I have to say whever it satisfy the one or not. I am not in the Army like you said I'm on a friendly forum for a great civil flight simulator, you are not my immediate superior and so I have no particular attitude to get toward you, except politeness of course.

And finally, I will listen to the beginning of your 3rd comment, I'll take time to read the manual, and will see if it is possible to correct it ty my tastes. I think that if the plugin deactivate, there may be a reason : maybe if it's still active, it would also act in external view as X-Plane current view logic uses right mouse button + mouse movements to actuate view. Probably there is a tiny parameter that would allow it not to stop each time I change view.

Anyway, if he did this like that there is probably a constraint somewhere, because no, this is not a user-friendly way to look around. Some funny fact I could find to compare this would be :

Imagine in real life, being in a car looking around with my head ( normal ) then stop and go outside car ... then my head would be stuck in a direction, and I would need to hit the floor with my right foot one time to re-activate my ability to look around with my head ... and same when I enter again in the car ... think about it

Thanks

Thanks Cameron, I appreciate it!

@ Hueyman, live and learn my young friend. Just remember ... everything you do or say has an outcome (there're always consequences). You can either help to shape it to your benefit ... or get caught up in the current and wonder why things happen.

Everyone has exactly the same set of choices :).

Edited by Kris Pryo
  • Upvote 1

Things will surely get better as I become an old man

Will you tell me you were " behaving politically correct " when you were 18 ?

I don't think so, as it's normal ... probably only the life will " shape " a young man to become relativist in his statements .. maybe

A man of your outstanding abilities

What is the problem with you Pryo ? How can you say such things.

I know to do things that I know, and I do not know to do things that I don't know that sounds logic isn't it ?

And I do not want to learn how to use Gizmo for that, if you guys won't help then it's no problem, I just don't see the point of replying to this particular thread then ...

What is the problem with you Pryo ? How can you say such things.

I know to do things that I know, and I do not know to do things that I don't know that sounds logic isn't it ?

And I do not want to learn how to use Gizmo for that, if you guys won't help then it's no problem, I just don't see the point of replying to this particular thread then ...

Which brings us back to square one.

My impression Valentin, is that you demand for things to happen and readily criticize the effort that other people have made ... e.g. Sandy Barbour in this particular thread.

How do you think he would feel after he's shared his effort, to hear (or see) the opinion that his implementation is "totally dumb"?

You then go on to propose what should be done to 'fix it' .. again without regard to the effort and toil of another person.

This is not a case of being 'politically incorrect', it's a case of needing to understand some common sense and manners.

If you can do .. then do. If you can't do but criticize those that do .. you lose all credibility, and that takes a bit of work to recover.

Edited by Kris Pryo
  • Upvote 1

God knows I have nothing against him and even do not know who he is before looking for Track IR and X-Plane stuff.

I just said that because yes I find this implementation quite unusual and not user-friedly at all, and I saw on the other forum that I'm not the only one.

If you are pleased to click 50 buttons each time you want to change view that is nice, but personally I don't, and it is not a reason to learn how to code just for change that.

Anyway, all those posts probably for nothing as with that I still did not have the chance to read the manual, so I will go to do it right now.

And yes, " a bit of work to recover " ? I don't care about reputation, it is done for me since the early beginning :  people appreciate me, hates me, I really don't care I'm not member of those forums to find friends, I have a couple of in the real world, but to find support and interested people in this sim, where we can share our common love for virtual flying things. But sadly, 75% of time it's arguing and proving everyone is right like we are doing here 3/4 of this thread ...

I agree with you on the fact I should change my way to communicate, but you know, people are like they are, and very few things can actually change them, so it's not through a screen it will

Now, once again I have to say the matter closed, if you want to continue this game please let's go PM, thanks.

Valentin,

Kris is giving you some words of wisdom and you're becoming very defensive over it. He's not even being rude, but he is trying to let you know that your way of discussing this matter with people here is a lot of self-centered-like behavior.

Anyways, Ben is right. This is a perfect use for something fun and quick in Gizmo. Because of this thread I just went and challenged myself to a have a little fun and wrote a little program that will automatically enable Sandy's Pilot View whenever in the cockpit, even if you come from exterior back to interior. It was also a good excuse to get my TrackIR off the shelf. :) All in all this took about 30 minutes to write after going through Sandy's docs, using dataref editor, writing, and testing.

I bet you could have a lot of fun and enjoy the feeling of being rewarded visually with something that works if you just put your mind to it. Gizmo has freely available docs to accomplish what you need as well, so there's really no excuse unless you just don't want it that bad.

• Upvote 2

• 3 months later...

Any chance to get the Gizmo routine?

I'd like to start learning how to use editor, data ref and C++ but unfortunately with 3 kids all I can do on late evening is enjoy XPX freshly installed and barely anything else.

I hope Cameron can PM. I swear, not a byte will be sent to Hueyman  ;)

Edited by Leporello