[SOLVED] Avionic black out

flydav

Guys..  we need to be as accurate as possible when reporting these things.  

First... the inverter switch cannot move by itself.  I double checked ALL the code.. you either flip the switch to "ON" or to "OFF" manually.. nothing else is controlling this but you.

Second... the main inverter switch has NOTHING to do with the EADI or EHSI screens. Those systems are not powered by the AC system. You can verify this by using Auto-Start and when it is done you can flip the main inverter switch all day long and the screens will remain "ON".  

This is a complex airplane in real life and a complex simulation in XP.  Please make sure you read the manual and understand ALL the systems. We need accurate information to diagnose problems. And, the more detail you can provide (exact steps taken and screenshots) will get us to solutions much faster.

Jim

Lead Programmer

LES Saab 340A

You're right Jim, it's not the inverter.

I can now easily reproduce the issue without even getting airborne:

1. Start up aircraft according to prodecures and taxy to rwy
  2. complete before-takeoff preps
  3. Apply t/o power and let roll until props revved up
  4. Move throttle lever fully aft (reverse) and apply wheel brakes
  5. Avionics will black out
  6. Reset generators, and wait for some seconds for power to come back
  7. If sufficient runway left start from 3., else perform u-turn first

Please let me know if you want to know any specific details, or to take screen shots from any specific part of the panels

You're right Jim, it's not the inverter.

I can now easily reproduce the issue without even getting airborne:

Start up aircraft according to prodecures and taxy to rwy

complete before-takeoff preps

Apply t/o power and let roll until props revved up

Move throttle lever fully aft (reverse) and apply wheel brakes

Avionics will black out

Reset generators, and wait for some seconds for power to come back

If sufficient runway left start from 3., else perform u-turn first

Thanks for the detailed report.  I have found the problem and made and adjustment that should take care of this.

If you're wondering why this doesn't happen to "everyone"... here's my best guess...

The Power Levers are really not meant to be "abruptly" moved from one position to another.  If you go from full power, to full reverse, and then quickly to ground idle the engines don't have enough time to respond... they are basically a jet after all and need time to spool up and spool down.  So, be a little more deliberate in your Power Lever movements... I'll bet the problem goes away.  In any event I have made a change to help get around those who treat the Power Levers like an F16 throttle :)

Edited by JGregory

I am not sure i understood...i have the same blackout-problem after each one of my landings. I use the reverser but not immediately the wheel-brakes. During my last flight i tried to push the engine-power very "gentle" from reverser to normal position but i had a blackout as well. Do we really have to handle it like "t5e" explained above? That means: having to live wit the blackout and then resetting the GEN to have electricity again? Hm...i am not sure. Can you please once again explain exactly how to avoid the blackout?

Edited by frankbyte

I am not sure i understood...i have the same blackout-problem after each one of my landings. I use the reverser but not immediately the wheel-brakes. During my last flight i tried to push the engine-power very "gentle" from reverser to normal position but i had a blackout as well. Do we really have to handle it like "t5e" explained above? That means: having to live wit the blackout and then resetting the GEN to have electricity again? Hm...i am not sure. Can you please once again explain exactly how to avoid the blackout?

There is no "guaranteed" method to avoid this.  I was simply suggesting that if you move the Power Levers a little slower, you might avoid the problem.  I have made some adjustments that will be in the next update, which should resolve the problem.  However, as I previously pointed out, you should always be "deliberate" in your movements of the Power Levers.

• 2 weeks later...

I can confirm, that the outage can be avoided by pulling back the throttle levers less violently after touchdown ....

I was reading forums since my coming back and I was wondering how we can achieve it?

There are many things that are discovered ( blackout is one of them) here by discussions but the pilots who do not visit this forum has no way of knowing about the workarounds.

Maybe there findings should be included as FAQ of sort in the upcoming update? just an idea. Cheers, AJ