Ready for 64 bit?

C47

The DC-3 uses Gizmo 11 for various systems...particularly, the engine ignition system.

Gizmo is not 64 bit yet, however, Ben Russell has been working very hard to get the next version of Gizmo to 64 bit compatibility. If you start the DC-3 under 64 bit X Plane half the systems and gauges won't work.

There is no timeline as to when Gizmo will be ready, seeing as the latest X Plane beta is primarily for developers to start working to bring their plug ins up to 64 bit.

For now, select the 32 bit X Plane icon if you want to fly the DC-3.

This is a minor (expected) hiccup for all of us. Having a 64 bit Flight sim is a huge step in the right direction for everyone. And a very welcome one.

There are pro's and cons for everything, however, in this case, the only con is a short wait for Gizmo to be upgraded.

In the meantime, you can still enjoy add ons that have plug ins by simply double clicking the 32 bit X Plane icon in the root folder. Everything runs perfectly under the new 32 bit beta.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Everything runs perfectly under the new 32 bit beta.

Except X-Plane it self. I am a OSX user and I believe the out of memory issue in 32bit affects Mac users the most. I can't run 32 bit XP, at least not without turning all the nice rendering settings down to a minimum. CRJ is starting to rust sitting on the ramp collecting dust, my online flying has been delayed indefinitely , perhaps I should keep an installation of XP9 just for flying online with decent rendering settings.

I understand that the leap into 64 bits is not a simple one and I know from experience that trying to get some work when a new member of the family is on the way is difficult. But not as difficult as when the baby finally arrives, then forget about a good night sleep for a while. I kind of feel sorry for Ben, with the priority rearrangement and everybody bitching about their planes that don't work in 64 bits cuz they need Gizmo. I wish I could help but that is definitely out of my league.

Except X-Plane it self. I am a OSX user and I believe the out of memory issue in 32bit affects Mac users the most.

You realize you're replying to a quote made in November of 2012, close to when 64-bit first came out, right? :)

my online flying has been delayed indefinitely

Aside from PilotEdge, are there even ANY online flying plug-ins for VATSIM or IVAO that are even 64-bit? I'm not aware of any.

I understand that the leap into 64 bits is not a simple one and I know from experience that trying to get some work when a new member of the family is on the way is difficult. But not as difficult as when the baby finally arrives, then forget about a good night sleep for a while.

The baby arrived weeks ago. Ben has a ton of drive and continues to work on Gizmo daily, which is rather impressive given the circumstances.

• Upvote 2

I know about the beta release and I am sure Ben is working hard on it inspired with his baby, and that there will be a stable release when is ready and not a day before. But  the crashing of the 32-bit application persists for me, so I am just patiently waiting for de updates to the products that I already have that use it or consider buying new ones. 

I have never tried Pilot's Edge mainly because I almost never fly in the Continental US and there is no coverage in the areas that I like to fly in. I have been for may years member of IVAO and use VATSIM occasionally, and in neither of them seems to be a X-Plane 10 64-bit  friendly solution in sight. So the option of a simplified XP9 installation for this purpose is not such a bad idea after all, to me it sounds better that going Microsoft.