Is FSX finished

Jordan P.

Does this mean they are discontinuing publication or just support ? If its just support no big deal as I don't think anyone uses microsoft support especialy since Aces studio no longer exists . If they do discontinue publication the big question would be would they consider dropping there DRM alowing FSX to live on as Freeware . If this was to happen the FSX community could live on forever . There was a hack writen for FS9 that allowed it to be run without a disk and FS9 is probably more popular than FSX , And you can bet Microsoft does not offer support for FS9 . Even if they where to stop publishing there are enough owners of FSX to keep it running and keep delvelopers improving it , alowing FSX to compete with Xplane for along time.

Edited by larjeet

Yep,,Goz is right, beware P3D, but frankly, FSX has still got 5yrs in it. But by then Xplane might have gone 128 bit and have better clouds!

I wonder if they'll stop selling fsx downloads? Seems silly to me, I might ask to do it for em! Then again, killing MS Flight was too. Hmm, I wonder what's going on?

Flightgear has been renamed into just about every flight sim made, They even Used X-plane for a while about 4 years ago and I notified Austin. They were

down in no time and I bought a CD of it to prove it was Flight gear. Stay away from any purchasing and just google Flight Gear and the free download. I still

don`t like it since the open source makes it a pain to learn.

Is FSX finished?
No, because, as we know full well with X-Plane, buying the basic app. is only the start of it. An awful lot of Microsoft Flight Simulator users have expanded it with add-ons and plug-ins, not to mention hardware, and are extremely happy with it. As Simmo W wrote, it will be some years before they really feel left behind. There is some concern that FSX might stop working if Windows goes completely 64-bit, but it seems more likely that dyed-in-the-wool FSX enthusiasts would pay for Prepar3d rather than jump ship to X-Plane.

P3d is still fsx based but modified, to a minor extent now but I believe v2 will be utilising the GPU far more. Just google prepar3d forums. But v1.4 sounds a big improvement already, 10fps better. I cant be stuffed trying it yet, maybe next update.

P3d is owned by Lockheed Martin. The ms announcement will only speed up the move over.

Technically it is illegal for the average user to use P3D. The odds are, Lockheed Martin won't do much of anything to stop users from purchasing the license and using it for entertainment purposes.

Of course, if they start losing a potful of money because there not selling the $500 licence, they might change there tune. The same would be true if Microsoft notices too many people are using P3D for entertainment, they may have legal grounds to sue Lockheed over the exploitation of the licence agreement that transferred FSX to Lockheed Martin.

P3D is aimed at the military and that's where their real clients are. They have in fact announced a move towards military simulations and that they have no interest in personal/consumer entertainment. In fact, according their EULA , you are not allowed to use it for entertainment purposes. They'll pull the plug some time in the future, when their software is ready for it's intended purposes.

I would not invest in P3D, stick with XPX.

EDIT: I almost forgot. How could anyone forget "The Worlds Most realistic Flight Simulator!"

http://www.virtualpilot3d.com/

;) First, test FlightGear. Virtual Pilot 3D is a scam: they are selling free software, without telling their customers where it comes from, and show videos or screen shots from other flight simulators.

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Category:FlightGear_vendors

FSX is not "finished" yet. Development has been stopped in 2009 but it's still a Beta 2 (called "SP2"), it needs more "service packs", and you'll still find many users and add-on developers. Support has been stopped in 2012.

Microsoft Flight development has also been stopped in 2012. So, Microsoft is finished in the flight simulation world.

Prepar3D by Lockheed Martin could become a X-Plane competitor if they'll be allowed to change their EULA: "only for purposes other than personal/consumer entertainment".

Edited by MdMax