Night Textures!

RealScenery

Northern California has been on hold for a while because I have been working with X-Aviation and another developer on algorithms for creating night textures. After a few months of work, and lot of testing, I am happy to announce that night textures will be a part of the Northern California release!

Some screenshots of a small test area around Sacramento Executive Airport (KSAC) are shown below. I am still tweaking the lighting values, but this should give you a good idea of what to expect. These night textures are unique in X-Plane in that they are not generic textures. They are built from real daytime imagery and other data to provide lighting effects that you would expect to see when really flying. We have been able to simulate the relative lighting among different types of roads, from large, multi-lane interstate highways to small residential streets. Several categories of features are included in the lighting algorithms including several different categories of roads, stadiums, parks, schools, rural and urban areas, and many others.

With the lighting algorithms complete, we expect a release of Northern California by mid-January.

Several other high-resolution packages will also be released within the Northern California area. These include:

Sacramento

San Francisco and the East Bay

Napa Valley

Monterey

Fresno

Also, I will be releasing a high-resolution package for Reno, Nevada which will cover the greater Reno area including parts of Lake Tahoe and Carson City.

We hope to have all of these released about the same time.

We have also upgraded our imagery since we were able to access much nicer quality imagery than shown in this forum.

NorCal and all of the high-resolution packages will include night textures and edited airports that exactly match the underlying imagery.

Enjoy!

Looking east. Florin Road is on the right side of the image. Interstate 5 is the large freeway at the bottom of the image.

Night1.jpg

Looking west. Interstate 5 is the large highway on the far side of the image.

Night2.jpg

Looking north. Interstate 5 is on the west (left) side of the image. Freeport Blvd is runs along the west side of the airport with Florin Road running along the south side.

Night3.jpg

I forgot to mention in my previous post to please consider having an addon to your other sceneries with the night addition.  It would be well worth paying more to add those on.

Thanks for your consideration.

John

John,

Down the line we will be doing upgrades to our previous works. We have built the application we use to achieve this with that factor in mind.

Yeah, that would be awesome!!!:D X-Plane 9 really needs a scenery package just to improve some crucial things. If anything like that comes out, it should include 3D night lighting, all the real world roads with bridges, improved cars, improved weather, and improved terrain. That is something X-Plane really needs.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Looks great guys, I'd love to post some video of the crj 200 over thist night scenery! Tell me, will the textures for your other packs be improved too? I did not find the demos that amazing, but am hoping norcal will convince me to buy! Good luck, Simon