MU-2 progress towards update

tkyler

Tom,

The MU2 doesn't have such an FMC. It's a rather simple aircraft, even the autopilot. I am not looking at doing a reality XP version yet. My last dealings with RXP raised some "caveats"with regards to user interaction in 3D and I simply left it alone. I might look into it after everything else is working to my satisfaction as I agree that X-Plane's lack of a decent GPS is bothersome to many.

The KLN90B is indeed a great piece of work by Dennis, though I will not forgo Gizmo usage in favor of it. As much as I'd like to have such a GPS in the MU2, Gizmo, I believe is the stronger platform for the future. It may lack products because all competent users are using it for other things, but it is my belief that in the near future, we will see a lot more products like the KLN90B being done in Gizmo. I have other very intensive projects on my plate in addition to the MU2 and I really don't know at what point in time I will look to improve the GPS. X-Plane has so many need s right now and few to fill them that the "waiting game" is the only game in town for users. Such is the way it is going "out west" before everybody else I guess. But we are working constantly to improve whatever we can. One thing is for sure, x-plane has more and more every year.

Good news. I think I just finished the last functional programming for the update...meaning that everything works like I think it should pending testing by some beta testers and whatever they find. I am working on getting the hardware consistent with the animations....but because the MU2 is so customized, it's a bit of a challenge and I if I encounter some unforseen issues...then I think I might release it anyhow. So far, there is only one real problem and that is the throttles do not animate when hardware throttles are moved...this is what I'm currently working on. X-Plane's throttle and joystick datarefs are relatively generic and do not match the functionality of the MU2 power levers at all and a good portion of my headaches are trying to make it all work consistently.

I will warn some though that I have had to choose between a lesser of two evils and I have chosen the path that is most accurate. The real MU2 has two detents in the power lever. These detents keep you from going into reverse when you pull the levers back...you have to lift "up" to go into reverse. Joystick hardware, of course, has no detents....so when you pull back your hardware throttle paddle on the MU2, you'll go into reverse. The conventional option was to go with the default setup of using the period key to go into reverse, but that is too generic and doesn't apply to many of the subtlties that the Mu2 has, like controlling prop pitch and prop locks with the power lever also.

So what I am contemplating is some "lights" on the panel that will light up when you are at certain power lever positions. Because hardware users won't see the power lever onscreen as it's out of the camera view...they can watch for the lights and know where their throttle is. You can also watch the torque gauges and the beta indicator lights so that you have 3 inputs that, when used together, give you a good idea of when to stop pulling back on the throttle paddle. It's not ideal but we are sitting at a computer and if anybody knows me...the accuracy comes first and the convenience second. Nobody said the MU2 was easy! If I can get the hardware programmed today, then I'll start working on the documentation and organization and this thing should be out shortly after Christmas. fingers crossed. The video below shows the new mechanical flight director bars on the ADI (artificial horizon). Watch the ADI as I set various autopilot modes.

-Tom

http://www.youtube.c...#!v=9hqCUByZaoY

Edited by tkyler

I will warn some though that I have had to choose between a lesser of two evils and I have chosen the path that is most accurate. The real MU2 has two detents in the power lever. These detents keep you from going into reverse when you pull the levers back...you have to lift "up" to go into reverse. Joystick hardware, of course, has no detents....so when you pull back your hardware throttle paddle on the MU2, you'll go into reverse.

I struggled with that in the C90, it was barely controllable. I made the change in planmaker so that 0 on the hardware is 0 in the sim, not reverse already.

unfortunately, that won't be an option since the throttles are controlled by plugin. I've tried a few techniques to let the user know where the throttle is and it's not really that bad with some visual feedback. regarding V10...no major issues that I can see yet so it's running OK.

post-5-0-06854700-1324419065_thumb.jpg

Hi Tom,

I bought the MU-2 three days ago at x-aviation and I love it. I´m new with XP and it´s challenging to fly and a nicely done AC. I was looking for updates since my version number is 1.1.1 and I read about an (planned) update to v.1.5 - but couldn´t find it. Anyway, I will wait until your latest update is out and XP10 features are in. Especially some more insite lighting features and a few more crisp textures (esp. overhead panel) would be great. Looking forward to it.

So my question is: where will the update be available (found no dedicated update/download section at x-aviation and today I realised that the website of x-scenery.com is long gone - after trying to open it for hours :rolleyes:)?

Well, happy christmas and...go on!

Hey FloB.

Whenever an update is available to customers, a email newsletter will go out from x-aviation letting everybody know. The next update, 1.5, is pretty much ready to go sans documentation. I've worked on it the last 2 days sewing up the really major loose ends and though a few issues remain, they are really minor as to not be noticed by most. I will be working on the final details today and tomorrow and right after Christmas, we'll get it wrapped up and packaged and hopefully have it out before the New Year....and indeed as you may have seen, there is much better night lighting and crisper panel textures (and overhead) to be had. I expect a bit of tweaking once users get it and I can incorporate things...and any resulting changes and subsequent 'availability of updates' will result in notification emails to customers also. So as long as your x-aviation email is good to go, that is how we'll keep you informed.

RE: x-scenery. I have no idea what's going on. Every now and then I get paranoid someone sabotaged the site. I have backups though so no biggie there; however, I can't seem to load the web page to log in to my internet management portal so that somewhat implies the provider is having some issues. I'll be looking into it soon after the MU2 is out though...I'm sorry for the annoyance.

-Tom

I'm flying the MU-2 in XP10 right now. It's performing great! :)

I notice one thing though. The propellers are rendered a bit weird. As if the disc is opaque and disables the clouds or any other volumetric entity like clouds or haze.

Looking forward to the update, Tom.

And I gotta add, I'm flying with the AirTrack app on iPad. The MU-2 is taking commands from my iPad. It's a dream flying this way. FMC, MCP, gosh.. Just sit back and relax.

Edited by OlaHaldor

That's cool Ola! Re: the props...I've already addressed that for V10. Working on the update daily...mostly trying to make the hardware integrate in a natural way for the throttle (not particularly easy as you'd think). Everything else is done...so it shouldn't be too long.

TK

Hi Tom

I have just been flying the Mu-2 in XP10, and upon setting the aileron trim for takeoff, the guage doesn't move, meaning you can't tell how much trim you have applied. You may know this already and be fixing this in the soon-to-be released update?

Great plane though, flies really nice in XP10.

Cheers,

Simon

I do think the trim rates and/or settings have been altered from V9 to V10....but because I have only been working with the V1.5 update, I haven't really checked the current 1.1.1 version in V10. It would not surprise me if a few things were off. The V1.5 update trim seems to work fine in V10 though it seems to actuate slower. I will conduct more thorough tests after the update comes up for V9.

On another note, I've been in some discussions with 2 individuals about the throttle animation issue and I am not very optimistic about achieving my goals given the more "legacy" nature of how I've modeled the throttles. Using the mouse and manips, they work perfect. Though I am still going to try and find a workaround to the problem before the release, I might end up releasing the simulation as is with no throttle animation for hardware users and then go to work on a new engine management model that will better achieve my goals. The challenge is getting the throttles to both work and animate by manipulator, keystroke and joystick while simulating propellor locks and the engine start sequence, which "somewhat" is independent of lever position. The "old" solution I have is no solution at all and based on Austin's default engine control....whereas the best solution is to write my own. Given how much time has elapsed since the last update, I would rather put it out there now as it's still quite enjoyable rather than wait some unknown amount of time while I write my own engine management. If it does go out without hardware throttle animation support, then I will begin working on a solution immediately.

-Tom

Hi Tom, love you're MU2 ;)

Regarding your throttle issue of going into beta, maybe you could make an option during the install process or have access to a menu in the sim with regards to how beta is activated. For instance, I have the Saitek Pro-Flight Throttle quadrants, in XP10 I have the reverse detents (which is just a button really) set to Reverse Thrust "Hold" in XP10 and this works great in the MU2 as a reverse thrust, it basically mimics what is seen in the 3d cockpit.

Of course this doesn't help the majority of users who when they pull back there throttle leaver on their joystick there is no button below 0% throttle for them to assign to reverse thrust.

So how about an option in the sim menu, cockpit (hidden), or when installing the acf? This would hopefully keep everyone happy regarding beta/reverse thrust. :)

Just my thoughts.

Keep up the great work, eagerly awaiting V1.5

Regarding your throttle issue of going into beta, maybe you could.................

Thank you for the suggestions. I do have many ideas on how to go about it and indeed there are multiple solutions that, in my opinion, are all good and valid; however, they all take development time that goes beyond my desire to release the MU2 by end of year. I am looking for a "simplified solution", if one exists, that lets me get the MU2 out with all animations in tact in the next week, but I am not too optimistic at this point. If it goes out without hardware animated throttle; however, then at least folks can enjoy the other 95% of the improvements and then I'll start considering solutions for making hardware integration more robust. A dedicated configuration dialog is not out of the question either....so we'll see.

Edited by tkyler

I think someone resolved a throttle animation problem on a different aircraft by having the visual 3d throttle mesh, and a separate invisible mesh for manipulating the throttles. All you've said about the MU-2 has pretty much gone over my head so I have no idea if that's a technique that could be useful here!

[as I don't have internet on my own PC the release date is sadly moot for me - I look forward to flying the MU-2 v1.5 in February when I get home!]

Edited by Dozer

Hope the MU-2 update is out before the 1th of January.

Me too Michael, but probably not. I am moving from one office to another all weekend and family matters with the holidays has just taken more time than I hoped. As soon as I am settled into my new office, I'll get right back on it and it shouldn't be much longer. We really are just putting finishing touches on as much as we can.

-Tom

Ok here's the "low-down", the hits just keep coming. I just got my new office space ready and a family illness on my wife's saide has me traveling for 5 days now on really short notice. Of course my family will always come first and the best I can do is let you guys know what's happening. I am trying to get to a point where I can just sit and work and not have to travel....and between family holiday stuff, the office transition and this new development.....1 week is turning into about 3 where I can't even find the time to sit down. I'm really sorry guys, I myself am ready to put this thing out. So another 2 weeks maybe....1 for travel and 1 to get the MU2 set up for distribution.