Mixture levers not moving in cockpit when physical throttle quadrant levers moved ?

Matchstick

I've mapped the standard X-Plane Mixture controls onto levers 5 and 6 of my Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant and while the engine's fuel flow seems to be changing in response to the physical levers being moved the controls in the cockpit aren't moving so it's pretty much impossible to tell if the lever is actually in right detent.

Is this a bug or am I doing it wrong and there is a better way to map the levers ?

3 hours ago, Rhinozherous said:

I dont know if they are usable with axis - Because they have fixed positions (Auto Lean, Auto Rich...) you have to click the paddle on the lever and move it with the mouse (or axis - did not trie yet because of license problems) to the next position where the paddle should spring back again to fix the lever in postition.

Other planes have managed to do in cockpit levers where the level falls into the detent position that's the best match for the physical throttle position.

At the very least we need some information on the correct Datarefs/commands to map to if we can't directly use an axis

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Matchstick said:

I've mapped the standard X-Plane Mixture controls onto levers 5 and 6 of my Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant and while the engine's fuel flow seems to be changing in response to the physical levers being moved the controls in the cockpit aren't moving so it's pretty much impossible to tell if the lever is actually in right detent.

Is this a bug or am I doing it wrong and there is a better way to map the levers ?

We make sure for the initial release, mixture controls work as they should in the 3D cockpit. Because those controls are not supposed to used to much during flight, there is a luck of support for controls like Honeycomb Bravo, and supporting all the types of existing controls is in our TODO list.

I will come back to you with some info in a bit, but also I would like to have a bit co-operation from you side, on this specific issue. I think is easy to understand that is impossible to test all existing control set ups and support them from the get go. Is it possible to assign to the levers a custom dataref?

22 hours ago, airfighter said:

We make sure for the initial release, mixture controls work as they should in the 3D cockpit. Because those controls are not supposed to used to much during flight, there is a luck of support for controls like Honeycomb Bravo, and supporting all the types of existing controls is in our TODO list.

I will come back to you with some info in a bit, but also I would like to have a bit co-operation from you side, on this specific issue. I think is easy to understand that is impossible to test all existing control set ups and support them from the get go. Is it possible to assign to the levers a custom dataref?

Thanks for that.

I use Spad.next for advanced control setups so I should certainly be able to assign hardware axis to a custom dataref with that.

1 hour ago, Rhinozherous said:

Would be nice to be able to set the Mixture positions via a button assignment... Clicking and moving the lever with mouse is very unreliable and finicky. This is very annoying especially during engine start.

Working to finish an quick update for a few things, and I will do that for the next one. Updates will in come very fast.

If understand correctly, you would like something like up/down commands to move the lever through the 4 positions, cut off - auto lean - auto reach - emergency?

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, airfighter said:

Working to finish an quick update for a few things, and I will do that for the next one. Updates will in come very fast.

If understand correctly, you would like something like up/down commands to move the lever through the 4 positions, cut off - auto lean - auto reach - emergency?

Up/Down for the Mixture would be awesome! So when we push the Up button for example, the safety paddle is pushed and moves the lever to the next higher detent and releases the paddle.

Edited by Rhinozherous
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rhinozherous said:

Up/Down for the Mixture would be awesome! So when we push the Up button for example, the safety paddle is pushed and moves the lever to the next higher detent and releases the paddle.

Would it help with inadvertent activation by requiring the command to be held for X amount of time, and/or limit it to only ever one "notch" per use?

Edited by Pils

2 hours ago, airfighter said:

Left mixture:

1. Pad toggle dataref: les/dc3/engine/controls/L_mix_pad
  2. Mixture lever axis dataref: les/dc3/engine/controls/L_mix_lever

Right mixture:

1. Pad toggle dataref: les/dc3/engine/controls/R_mix_pad
  2. Mixture lever axis dataref: les/dc3/engine/controls/R_mix_lever

Thanks for those and I've used them to create a basic profile for Spad.Next that does the job pretty well.

If anyone else with the HC Bravo and Spad wants to try it out it's been published as snippet #9368 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pils said:

Would it help with inadvertent activation by requiring the command to be held for X amount of time, and limit it to only ever one "notch" per use?

I think one notch per use is sufficiant. As we have to move the lever at startup from cutoff to auto rich, we have to move over the auto lean notch. If we have to hold it for x amount of time it could be too late for the engine to start.

You guys are awesome by the way, asking a user what would be nice to use!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rhinozherous said:

You guys are awesome by the way, asking a user what would be nice to use!

Why not? How says than a user cannot have a good idea? Personally, I believe that I don't have the whole knowledge of the world, and I want to hear ideas. And I might be able to squeeze this into the first update.

• Like 2

@Rhinozherouslooking into adding the option into Options tab. You'll have to enable it to work with commands. The only culprit for this update is that this option will not be saved, and must be enabled for each flight. My thinking is to save some options into a separate file, so they are the same across all aircraft and airframes (liveries), and not be different for each one.

Working now on this to try squeeze it in the first update.

1108000300_DC3_Modern-2023-09-1009_36_17PM.thumb.png.85f61fffc0f3aeb3f3d1d76535976197.png

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, airfighter said:

@Rhinozherouslooking into adding the option into Options tab. You'll have to enable it to work with commands. The only culprit for this update is that this option will not be saved, and must be enabled for each flight. My thinking is to save some options into a separate file, so they are the same across all aircraft and airframes (liveries), and not be different for each one.

Working now on this to try squeeze it in the first update.

1108000300_DC3_Modern-2023-09-1009_36_17PM.thumb.png.85f61fffc0f3aeb3f3d1d76535976197.png

Looks fantastic!

I think it is a good idea to save it for all airframes, as most people would use the same controlls for different airframes.

Have come across this now when trying to set up my lowly Saitek X55, where I agree it would be great to enable appropriate data Refs to work either through keyboard or the joystick.

I think this is a great version but will put it back in the Hangar for now as I was/am very fond of the Persistence / three finger way to start the C47/DC3 as being very authentic.

I am member of the Danish DC3 club so I do love the aircraft.

Keep on trucking...

20 hours ago, Schaefer47 said:

Have come across this now when trying to set up my lowly Saitek X55, where I agree it would be great to enable appropriate data Refs to work either through keyboard or the joystick.

I think this is a great version but will put it back in the Hangar for now as I was/am very fond of the Persistence / three finger way to start the C47/DC3 as being very authentic.

I am member of the Danish DC3 club so I do love the aircraft.

Keep on trucking...

The required datarefs are listed in the pinned post so if you have Spad.next it's pretty simple to set up - I've publish a code snippet for the HC Bravo for the that presses the paddle and moves the mixture when you move the corresponding lever and should be easy enough to do that with another joystick.

It's probably also pretty simple to set up something in XLUA to do the same thing but that's outside my skillset so I can't really help with that.

Edited by Matchstick

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi All,

late to the party, but as they say, better late than never :-)

I am finding it really "complex" to assign proper controls to the mixture in this DC-3...

I was finally able to find a way to assign buttons in my T.16000 to Left and Right Mixture Lever Up/Down, but the Left and Right mixture pads I can't find them in the list of assignable functions?

Another two problems I am facing and couldn't yet find how to properly solve are the assignment of pitch tri to the default XP12 pitch trim datarefs, as well as tailwheel lock toggle command available in default Xp12 list of commands... When I use it it doesn't work in the DC-3 :-/

Any hints / suggestions really welcomed !

Edited by jcomm

2 hours ago, jcomm said:

Hi All,

late to the party, but as they say, better late than never :-)

I am finding it really "complex" to assign proper controls to the mixture in this DC-3...

I was finally able to find a way to assign buttons in my T.16000 to Left and Right Mixture Lever Up/Down, but the Left and Right mixture pads I can't find them in the list of assignable functions?

Another two problems I am facing and couldn't yet find how to properly solve are the assignment of pitch tri to the default XP12 pitch trim datarefs, as well as tailwheel lock toggle command available in default Xp12 list of commands... When I use it it doesn't work in the DC-3 :-/

Any hints / suggestions really welcomed !

Due to customizations needed to make systems work properly as in the real aircraft, some custom commands and datarefs are used... widely!

It is recommended to create a separate controller profile for DC3, since you need to assign some custom commands.

For example, for the tail lock you will find it here: https://airfightergr.github.io/les_dc3_docs/commands/#tail-wheel-lock.

For pitch trim you need to assign not the "default", which refers the elecrtical trim, but the mechanical:

sim/flight_controls/pitch_trim_up_mech             Pitch trim up - Mechanical, not servo.
sim/flight_controls/pitch_trim_down_mech           Pitch trim down - Mechanical, not servo.

Mixture levers' pads are designed to be operated in the 3D cockpit only. Mixture up/down commands circumvent the need to operate, so you don't need to be assigned.

• Like 1

Thank you for the clarification.

Strangely after assigning:

sim/flight_controls/pitch_trim_up_mech

sim/flight_controls/pitch_trim_down_mech 

Mechanical, not servo.

the default XP12 electric pitch trim controls also started to work :-)

Edited by jcomm

1 hour ago, jcomm said:

Thank you for the clarification.

Strangely after assigning:

sim/flight_controls/pitch_trim_up_mech

sim/flight_controls/pitch_trim_down_mech 

Mechanical, not servo.

the default XP12 electric pitch trim controls also started to work :-)

tumblr_orgi5rPMAP1v4nzkvo1_400.gif.3ae5cfd64e7d92daae7caf8609ec8ef2.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Yes I cant control pitch trim with either my Saitek panel or the keyboard, so I'll try above suggestion re mechanical setting.

I can control the flaps with either method as mentioned above before takeoff,, but once in the air, flaps don't operate at all! 

This aircraft doesn't have a normal takeoff, it floats off like a balloon!

I just purchased this model on 'special offer', is it the latest version, or am I missing a 'fix' update.

I'm using Win 10 32 RAM 

Log.txt Log.txt

7 hours ago, ChuckXpilot said:

Yes I cant control pitch trim with either my Saitek panel or the keyboard, so I'll try above suggestion re mechanical setting.

I can control the flaps with either method as mentioned above before takeoff,, but once in the air, flaps don't operate at all! 

This aircraft doesn't have a normal takeoff, it floats off like a balloon!

I just purchased this model on 'special offer', is it the latest version, or am I missing a 'fix' update.

I'm using Win 10 32 RAM 

See