Weight & Balance

KirkR

After some investigation I would like to summarize my understanding of the current status regarding the ability to perform the fundamental check that W&B is within the envelope before a flight.  My understanding is (please correct as appropriate):

-  While the Load vs CG chart (aka: W&B envelope) is not hard to find for the aircraft, we are unable to determine CG due to the absence (and sensitivity) of the "Weight & Balance Report" which is necessary to inform CG to locate the position on the X axis for the envelope.  This would include the pilots, cargo, position/weights of the passengers, and fuel weights in the various locations/tanks/saddles.

-  For now and potentially ongoing, just ensure we're within the various weight limitations (taxi, takeoff, landing) with a reasonable number of passengers and cargo, and then basically assume that if this is the case, we're within the envelope.

Given the level of emersion, it would seem like a tool for completing the W&B check would be available.  I could be missing something but have checked in with IRL Challenger pilots to try to crack this nut.

20 minutes ago, KirkR said:

Given the level of emersion, it would seem like a tool for completing the W&B check would be available.  I could be missing something but have checked in with IRL Challenger pilots to try to crack this nut.

At this time the CG is essentially fixed based on fuel load (IIRC), and payload has no effect on it. This is because a more complete simulation of passengers (and potentially a flight attendant) is still on the drawing board. X-Plane 12 provides a more sophisticated load station simulation so this feature will likely find its way up the priority list.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, KirkR said:

After some investigation I would like to summarize my understanding of the current status regarding the ability to perform the fundamental check that W&B is within the envelope before a flight.  My understanding is (please correct as appropriate):

-  While the Load vs CG chart (aka: W&B envelope) is not hard to find for the aircraft, we are unable to determine CG due to the absence (and sensitivity) of the "Weight & Balance Report" which is necessary to inform CG to locate the position on the X axis for the envelope.  This would include the pilots, cargo, position/weights of the passengers, and fuel weights in the various locations/tanks/saddles.

-  For now and potentially ongoing, just ensure we're within the various weight limitations (taxi, takeoff, landing) with a reasonable number of passengers and cargo, and then basically assume that if this is the case, we're within the envelope.

If you've got an ipad or iphone this works well for W&B

https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/pan-aero-weight-and-balance-cl600-cl604-cl605/id904328430