v2.01 Various Bugs/Requests

Here are some findings after some more flights in this airplane:

BUGS

1. No takeoff green line in pitch trim window
  2. No click sound for pitch trim MOVING (Useful audio feedback in v2.00)
  3. If XP's avionics dataref value is 0, GNSs don't turn ON when flipping Radio switches (must be turned on manually by the avionics XP command or manually changing dataref to 1)
  4. Strobe lights stays ON when the switch is turned OFF coincidently when they are flashing
  5. Taxi lights stays ON despite switch is turned OFF
  6. Should Trim UP and DN annunciators in AP pedestal panel turn on when pitch trim is in use/activated?
  7. Ground roll sound "loud thump" when repeating loop
  8. Already reported: Throttle 4 not moving when "Auto stop power levers at detent" preference is not selected
  9. Can't turn OFF engines with R-C-S switches
  10. Show/hide Avitab command does not work
  11. Cabin pressure rate indicator not working

REQUESTS

1. Add a HOLD parking brake command (or one command to turn on and another to turn off to assign to a roc)
  2. Add commands to change AP Altitude Selector up & down
  3. Throttle gate/detent sound could be moved just a little "up or fwd" of detent stop because when "Auto stop throttle" feature is enabled it sounds only AFTER the levers are lifted causing potentially that your real levers are way past the detent and then abruptly XP catches up throttle position when you activate the lift levers command.
  4. If you could add a command to control the radios power switches 1, 2 and 1&2

Keep enjoying Oshkosh!,

Jerry C.

Edited by gercarst
Added request #4
  • Upvote 1

I'm going to add to this one to try and keep notes for Tom in the same spot.

I'm noticing a thrust / Power Control Lever (PCL) discrepancy in the MU...  Engine 2 (right) is developing significantly more power than Engine 1 (left) at all PCL positions.

Here's some data for you.  This is on a Honeycomb Bravo throttle, freshly calibrated (via joy.cpl, then X Plane internal calibration).

Assignments:

Lever A - Prop1         (Left Condition Lever, linear 0-100)
Lever B - Throttle3   (Left PCL, linear 0-100)
Lever C - Throttle 4  (Right PCL, linear 0-100)
Lever D - Prop2         (Right Condition Lever, linear 0-100)
Lever E - <none>
Lever F - Flaps

Test 01 - Condition levers @ TAXI

Lever             XP Raw Position        Thrust             3D Cockpit PCL Position
Throttle3       1.000                          -252.82           Full Reverse
Throttle4       1.000                          -154.83           Full Reverse

Throttle3       0.1124                         -71.95             Beta / Reverse cutover
Throttle4       0.1124                        -31.07              Beta / Reverse cutover

Throttle3       0.00                            274.90           Alpha / Beta cutover (just prior to the "Gate")
Throttle4       0.00                            488.50           Alpha / Beta cutover (just prior to the "Gate")

Throttle3       1.000                          1697.0            Alpha Max (Full Forward)
Throttle4       1.000                          1758.7            Alpha Max (Full Forward)

Test 02 - Condition Levers @ Take Off / Land

Throttle3      1.000                          1901.3             Alpha Max (Full Forward)
Throttle4      1.000                         2805.2             Alpha Max (Full Forward)

NOTE: Due to assumed plugin manipulation, XP Raw values are not "raw".

Raw range should 1.00 (lever min) to 0.00 (lever max)(Lever B & C are reversed).

Hoping this might be of assistance - are others seeing the same thing?

Ed

Adding 1 more...  Please allow the setting item "time to brake" or whatever it is... to go to zero (current lowest value is 1) for those of us who have calibrated toe brakes so we can disable it entirely.

Even with it set to 1, it is really messing up my ability to modulate the toe brakes.

On 7/28/2022 at 1:18 PM, gercarst said:

No click sound for pitch trim MOVING (Useful audio feedback in v2.00)

From what I have seen, there really isn't audible feedback of this in the real aircraft either. It's much like a typical GA aircraft trim wheel where a servo is moving it in near silence.

Thanks for your inputs Jerry.

No takeoff green line in pitch trim window

Not seeing one in any of my reference pics, but I could have missed it OR it could have been added in differing models

No click sound for pitch trim MOVING (Useful audio feedback in v2.00)

Can't say I ever noticed the sound in my flying the MU2.  Its reasonably slow and quiet.  Are you advocating for "click of switch"?  or some kind of looping "clicking" while the wheel turns?

If XP's avionics dataref value is 0, GNSs don't turn ON when flipping Radio switches (must be turned on manually by the avionics XP command or manually changing dataref to 1)

I'll see what I can do here. ...seems first time around the 'avionics_on' turned on both GPS and was giving me headaches trying to isolate the units to the differing radio busses.  I did talk to Austin at Oshkosh about this for V12 and he's amicable to expanding the bus isolation systems and admits is "light"...but there may be a way around it.  Its on my list now.

Strobe lights stays ON when the switch is turned OFF coincidently when they are flashing

Thx, on the list

Should Trim UP and DN annunciators in AP pedestal panel turn on when pitch trim is in use/activated?

They should illuminate only at "trim limits".  They indicate "no more trim available"

Ground roll sound "loud thump" when repeating loop

This is to simulate repeatability of concrete / runway casting seams.  I know this is subjective.  Are you advocating eliminating it?  or reducing its amplitude or frequency?  I'll hear arguments for amplitude or frequency, but not removal.

Can't turn OFF engines with R-C-S switches

Have never seen this one.  Are you using the manip regions under the switches? (down arrow cursor)

Show/hide Avitab command does not work

Fixed.  simple togges the Avitab as if by mouse.

Cabin pressure rate indicator not working

Known issue.  fixed

• Add a HOLD parking brake command (or one command to turn on and another to turn off to assign to a roc)
  •  

roc?   not familiar with that acronym.  Will expand the commands for ON/OFF.  unsure hold...that's an odd operation with the real parking brake.

• Add commands to change AP Altitude Selector up & down

Can do

Throttle gate/detent sound could be moved just a little "up or fwd" of detent stop because when "Auto stop throttle" feature is enabled it sounds only AFTER the levers are lifted causing potentially that your real levers are way past the detent and then abruptly XP catches up throttle position when you activate the lift levers command.

This is a bit subjective IMO Jerry, mostly because of the diverse array of hardware and their own sensitivities.  I got into a real MU2 at Oshkosh to play with the levers.  There is a light click when pulling the levers up, depending on how hard you do it.  The more audible click is when you push them forward over detent and the metal restraining pin "snaps down" under spring pressure...metal on metal.  With auto stop, indeed there should be no sound when auto stopping..they are simple "at the limit".  however, perhaps you're advocating for a sound here though?   My sound is "For the lift itself" and so will not play until they are lifted.   All that being said, I am about to start a new forum discussion on an alternative method of throttle actuation that discusses your concern above.  I met with the CEO of Honeycomb while at Oshkosh and their Bravo hardware is a bit "weird" IMO when it comes to their detent and lever travel range...and even the salesman said they get a lot of confusion about it.  I'll discuss it more in a bit, after getting these initial responses out of the way.

1. If you could add a command to control the radios power switches 1, 2 and 1&2

Can do.  Was saving a comprehensive "commands for everything pass" until the really obvious stuff was taken care of, but easy enough to add these in for the next update.

-TomK

On 7/29/2022 at 10:47 PM, CDN 791M said:

When native XP Avionics dref is manually set to 1

I'm simply going to have to test this more....because the GPS units are "Laminar's" and not mine...they respond to datarefs in ways I can't always control or unware of and indeed this has been a pain in the past.  I'll try to get a bit more creative to get these behaviors more consistent.  At the least, Austin is super supportive of my observations for XP12 and I'm due to "give him a list" of any concerns that require changes on his end.

-TomK

On 8/2/2022 at 11:38 AM, CDN 791M said:

Even with it set to 1, it is really messing up my ability to modulate the toe brakes.

This was simply my consolidating code to avoid divide by zero (rather than simple test).  The lowest value should go down to 0.01 (0.01 works on my end)... I'd think that 1/100th of a second is enough to stay out of the way of your pedal feel?  Have you tried values below 1?  If you set it to 0.01 and it still feels weird, let me know.  My testing felt "instant" with my pedals with that low value.

Edited by tkyler

On 7/31/2022 at 12:47 PM, CDN 791M said:

I'm going to add to this one to try and keep notes for Tom in the same spot.

Comprehensive performance analysis/tweaks is coming.  I am tweaking the engine thrust at flight idle, which is a bit high and .   I made contact with a Moo owner who will be getting me charts and such for performance tweaks.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2022 at 10:57 AM, tkyler said:

Not seeing one in any of my reference pics, but I could have missed it OR it could have been added in differing models

1.- At first I thought… "I read somewhere about a green line in the takeoff trim" so searching in the AFM appeared this… so just to double check it I found this video.

Mitsubishi Makes Airplanes? MU-2 with Record Pilot Barrington Irving

image.png.394b12149fcc8f9451800926e3081280.png

Can't say I ever noticed the sound in my flying the MU2.  Its reasonably slow and quiet.  Are you advocating for "click of switch"?  or some kind of looping "clicking" while the wheel turns?

2.- Sorry, I think I wasn't clear with my phrasing… I'm not referring to a real sound. The same click sound EFFECT that you still get when you press the aileron trim, you could hear it when using the yoke's pitch trim on v2.0.0. It's missing in this release (I don't know if it's on purpose) and I just thought IMHO that it was a nice "confirmation" sound EFFECT that the Pitch trim was activated. Kind of a helper for a desktop simulator (like the throttles GUIs that are used on other planes)

They should illuminate only at "trim limits".  They indicate "no more trim available"

Thanks for clarification.

This is to simulate repeatability of concrete / runway casting seams.  I know this is subjective.  Are you advocating eliminating it?  or reducing its amplitude or frequency?  I'll hear arguments for amplitude or frequency, but not removal.

Definitely not removal at all, neither amplitude or frequency change... most precisely it's looping point. Sounds like a cracked "pop" or "thump" just like when you loop a sound at non zero-crossing samples. I hope it's clearer now.

Have never seen this one.  Are you using the manip regions under the switches? (down arrow cursor)

My bad. I was just trying to pull even further down the switch and never tried that.

roc?   not familiar with that acronym.  Will expand the commands for ON/OFF.  unsure hold...that's an odd operation with the real parking brake.

roc* typo for rocker switch. That separate ON/OFF commands will do I think. Just to assign the parking brake to a toggle switch with 2 positions.

Thanks in advance Tom,

Jerry C.

Hey Tom, first of all thank you for adding all the new commands. They help a lot when trying to couple many functions with physical switches for our home cockpits.

After reading the Updated custom command list, if I may ask for the radio switches also for a BOTH (L and R Radio switches) command toggle and ON/OFF (just like the Landing Lights Switches) so we have the option to use only 1 switch for a function and later as we grow and get more switches assign the dedicated real L & R switches.

Not a priority at all but that would be nice maybe for a later release!

As always, Thanks for your great support to our suggestions,

Jerry C.