Concorde

Johnspa

Do you think these guys should make a concorde project  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think these guys should make a concorde project

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

The concorde is one of the greatest planes of all time and gary hunters plane wasnt hard core enough for me i thinks these guys should do it. Whos With Me!

I think you might need some more more words than "these guys" to help us know who exactly you are talking about ...

Funny, i was actually looking over the concorde's Wikipedia page yesterday.

I wouldn't make one though, and i double anyone really will. it is far to complicated with not as much interest to people as say a 767 or 747. I think xplane needs some real jets be made instead of the concorde.

Couldn't agree more. It had a very short production run, with a small number of airlines operating it. I do think it is an amazing aircraft, and all safety problems aside it was a technological marvel of aviation.

Simulating the analog fly-by-wire and other advanced systems of the era wouldn't be impossible, but I think other more widely operated aircraft that are missing from the X-Plane market deserve more development attention.

If I could afford the monster cables I'd have some, but first up is getting a new set of monitors.... Sigh so much sound/other equipment to buy and so little money...

Don't waste money on Monster Cables: they're a rip off. All you need is decent speaker cable from your local stereo store.

i meant leading edge simulations

IF we decide to do one, it won't be for a while.  We haven't ruled it out as Theo is currently getting some code together for the INS in the 747-200.  Once it's done, we do want to make other projects that use the same INS and analogue gauges.  In saying that, if we go ahead with a concorde, I can safely say it won't be done until some time in the next 2-3 years.

• 10 months later...

I don't see why people don't want you to make a concorde. Its my personal favorite airplane and is probably one of the greatest commercial aviation achievements of all time.

It might not be that. Since this is goran's full time job it would make more sense do work on projects that more people will pay for. While I am sure the Concorde would sell well it is a question of would it sell as much as a DC-3 or 747-200?

all safety problems aside

Concorde did not any more "safety problems" than other aircraft. It had a good safety record until 25 July 2000, and that crash was attributed to debris on the runway. It is certainly not the only aircraft to have crashed because of foreign object damage. There was a suggestion that over-fuelling, incorrect CG, and poor maintenance of that particular aircraft could be to blame, but this was not upheld in court.

Obviously, because of relatively low flying hours, it only took one tragedy to raise the ratio of fatalities to flying hours. Not to mention the publicity and those agonising, nightmarish images caught by the amateur cameraman. I am sure they are seared into the brains of all aircraft enthusiasts. Nevertheless, I am certain that Concorde was "safe". Preventative maintenance was under constant review at British Airways and it could have remained in service much longer.

I think xplane needs some real jets be made instead of the concorde.

I think it's more to do with what simulators do well or badly. Neither X-Plane nor FSX give a good realistic sensation of speed; you can't expect them to. Therefore getting one's "kicks" in desktop sims tends to work better with more aerobatic aircraft, or trying to navigate accurately, or follow demanding procedures. Puddle-jumping gives one more to do than LHR to JFK at 60,000 feet.

Of course, that's ignoring the fact that Concorde was a highly demanding aircraft to fly, and that the flight engineer, in particular, had his work cut out in managing the CG by pumping fuel. If a Concorde for X-Plane could simulate the very specific issues of CG and navigation (especially navigation before GPS), then it would become truly demanding to fly, and therefore interesting.

Guy.

To make a concorde for ANY sim is not as simple as some might think. Systems are one thing...and with the exception of the fly-by-wire, they are pretty straight forward when compared to the real challenge in a supersonic aircraft. Engine performance!

X Plane can do an excellent job of simulating an engine travelling at subsonic speeds. But, in the real world, when you approach the speed of sound, very unusual things start happening to the engines. Jet engines perform most efficiently at somewhere around Mach 0.7. Each engine of a Concorde has 2 ramps, which are fully automatic, inside the intakes to slow the air down and create a shock wave as the air goes into the engine. X Plane, as far as I know, does not simulate this. Can a developer do this with plug ins? Most likely. But, coupled with the systems, to make an accurate simulation of a Concorde in X Plane would take quite some time (years).

I'd still love to do one, and after the 747-200, it's a definite possibility because we can recycle some of the 747-200 code. But the engine modeling for a supersonic aircraft in X Plane is completely uncharted territory, and we would be, in a sense, "flying blind" when it comes to a time estimate for finishing it. And unfortunately, I don't think any developer has the resources ($$$'s) to dedicate all their time to make an accurate, or decently accurate representation of it.

I'll probably start modeling it in my spare time and then cross the programming bridge when I come to it. Who knows what surprises X Plane 11 will have. Supersonic engine performance would be a HUGE plus!

Edited by Goran_M