Jump to content

engines cut off on take off?


Recommended Posts

Hi, there ... nice airplane. For some reason my engines are cutting off on initial climb out within a minute or two after take off. I am following checklist that came with the airplane. Am I missing something stupid? (the fuel pumps are still running when engines flame out). 

Thanks a bunch!

igor

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Igor,

That sounds like you are overtorquing the engine and they are failing. With turbine aircraft, going full throttle can easily break the engine. Make sure to look at the torque gauges and stay within limits.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have experienced exactly the same problem with both engines failing shortly after take off.  I will also try limiting the power, keeping an eye on the gauges.  Did this cure the problem for you Igor?

Also however, despite setting the pitch trim to zero before take off, the aircraft rotates and lifts off prematurely, without any stick input and I need massive amounts of pitch trim down (forward stick) to control this pitching up of the nose.  It is as if the CG is much to far aft, yet it it is fine, according to the balance sheet.  I am flying solo, with main tanks 3/4 full.

Edited by juxy
correction
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, juxy said:

I have experienced exactly the same problem with both engines failing shortly after take off.  I will also try limiting the power, keeping an eye on the gauges.  Did this cure the problem for you Igor?

Also however, despite setting the pitch trim to zero before take off, the aircraft rotates and lifts off prematurely, without any stick input and I need massive amounts of pitch trim down (forward stick) to control this pitching up of the nose.  It is as if the CG is much to far aft, yet it it is fine, according to the balance sheet.  I am flying solo, with main tanks 3/4 full.

The nose-up effect of the aircraft is much more pronounced at lower weights. I'd recommend putting a bit more weight up front in the aircraft and that behavior should subside. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Coop

I notice now, that on the update announcement, engine failure with over-torquing is specifically mentioned.

I'll try more load but never had this problem on the piston version, which is a delight to fly and easy to trim.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Coop said:

The nose-up effect of the aircraft is much more pronounced at lower weights. I'd recommend putting a bit more weight up front in the aircraft and that behavior should subside. 

Coop - I now read that many others are experiencing this problem, making the aircraft virtually un-flyable.

This needs to go to the top of your 'to-do' list please.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, juxy said:

Coop - I now read that many others are experiencing this problem, making the aircraft virtually un-flyable.

This needs to go to the top of your 'to-do' list please.

You're essentially having a CG issue. I don't know what you want him to "fix". He told you what to do.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just saw this, Cameron, and you know the subject of trim has been kind of done to death elsewhere.   It is a bit frustrating to have this problem, when the "pilot" has verified that the C of G is well within the envelope, but that does not necessarily mean the the plane can be flown with neutral trim.

However, there is another aspect to this.  It's the entertainment value of the plane in the sim.  At the end of the day, the number of customers who either have flown or aspire to fly a turbine Islander, in the real world, will be vanishingly small!

So, if Coop tweaks things to make it a bit easier to fly, even though it may be marginally less true to life (and I  have to assume that Coop has had input from RW Turbine Islander pilots, when he was adjusting these parameters), does it matter much?  I would venture that it doesn't.  99.9999% of the customers who buy this plane will be happy if it trims a bit more neutrally.  OK, let it need more down trim when lightly loaded, but it's obviously upsetting quite a few customers.

I remember, many years ago, flying in a Seneca, where we had to put a sandbag in the back to make it usable!  So, sticking some extra weight here and there is a viable solution :D

Coop's latest tweak certainly improved things a lot, but this "problem" is obviously still catching the punters out!

Enjoy your day.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi, I am glad this thread exists in here, as I have had both these problems too. I suppose I am also in the 99%+ of punters who would really like it if this plane had a bit more of a neutral CG. Oh, and I will have to learn to rev up more gently at takeoff, as I have also had the problem with the engines cutting out. Flying the turbine Islander has been a bit frustrating so far, especially compared with the piston version, which I have found very pleasant to fly.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...