Gizmo and the TBM

diamonddriller

Hi.

On an iMac, running Catalina.  X-Plane 11.51.   Tried to run the TBM today (and I hadn't for a while), and it crashed X-Plane virtually as soon as the plane opened.  Undaunted, I rebooted.  Same.  So, I re-installed (v1.1.12), and it worked just fine.  However, I noticed that the installer had replaced my beta of Gizmo 20 with the older version (18?).  I replaced the Gizmo with v20 and it crashed the TBM.  BTW,  that beta has given me no trouble with the SR20, 22, and numerous other X-Aviation planes!   BTW, the TBM also crashed in OpenGL with the beta of Gizmo, so it isn't just a Metal problem.

Anyway, I re-installed the TBM, and accepted the older Gizmo.  The installation does not ask whether I want the 20 beta, which other planes have.  So, I'll stay with the older version for now, but am interested as to why this should be happening.

Also, Gizmo 18 hung on redoing my authorisations, and I rebooted X-Plane again, and then Gizmo did the authorisations in  couple of seconds!  Most odd.

However, the Gizmo log does show some errors, and I'd appreciate it if they could be explained - particularly the reference to a file "outside the X-Plane folder".

Thanks.

Screenshot 2021-01-06 at 18.01.35.png

Screenshot 2021-01-06 at 18.01.12.png

Edited by diamonddriller

Sorry Ben.  I thought maybe Goran would know why v20 (or the option to use it) wasn't in the installer, as in most of the newer installations.  I even, later, had a few further problems with the plane, in that it would seemingly load OK, but the "Crash Bar" would not stay up, there was no way I could access the Gizmo option bar from the right of the screen (it wasn't there at all), and all view keys - the arrow keys and the numeric pad - would not work!  Thinking this might be an activation problem, I immediately loaded another of my X-Aviation fleet, to see that it (the just loaded) was activated.  Yes, it was , and the Gizmo bar was there.  Also, I could then check my licenses, and the TBM (and all others) were shown to be activated.  All view keys worke as normal - and all of this , without restarting X-Plane.  However, after another X-Plane reboot, I got the TBM working normally, but it seemed to be a bit hit or miss.  I'll try all this again, later.

I thought, perhaps, my extracts from the console, would give you a clue, but obviously not.  Unfortunately, when one has these sort of problems, it is easy to overlook saving the logs each time, as the efforts to clear things up are foremost in the mind.  I suppose I could reinstall v20 of Gizmo later, and (if this all happens again!), save and post the logs.

In the meantime, I wonder whether Goran is aware of any problem with v20 and the TBM.  Or, is it just that Cameron hasn't modified the installer yet, as he is expecting another update soon, and that would include the Gizmo option?

I don't think it's related to Apple's security, as I had authorised any mac.xpl files after going through the fleet when I was forced to use Catalina, because my new iMac came with it!  I did not see any warnings from Gatekeeper yesterday, but there seems to be a reference to it in the red text.

Edited by diamonddriller

Hi Goran,

I was not quite sure whether to post under Ben's GIzmo forum or here, because it appeared that the crash was a clash with v20 - but, if you have not had any other complaint on this, maybe it is just a particular problem with me.  However, it's also possible that many others are still on v18 of Gizmo, without either realising it, or not taking the option to try the v20 beta when buying or updating a newer product, when Cameron has added the beta option.

I'll substitute the v20 beta again later, and submit the logs (if it's a problem once more - you never know, it may just work), both for you and Ben.

Edited by diamonddriller

This is now stranger.  I put in the latest Gizmo from Ben's website, and everything seemed OK.  I didn't have to renew any licenses. I ran the Pocket Rocket to see if it was OK, then loaded up the TBM.  No trouble!   All seemed perfectly normal.

So, I came out of X-Plane and had another try, and got the TBM loaded up immediately, working OK but the console message popped up on its own, as per the screen shot.

I tried again, and this time, the TBM crashed X-Plane.  In all these cases, even when there was no crash, I got the Apple message that X-Plane had quit unexpectedly......

Unfortunately, the Gizmo log has not updated at all, since I was using v18.  This seems strange to me, but maybe not to Ben.

Here's the log.txt - minus all my scenery entries!  

P.S.   I thought I'd have another reload (using "resume a flight"), and the TBM did load normally, but I got the same console message immediately.  Again,  quit X-Plane - which it did with no fuss, but I got the Apple message again, and the GizmoLog.txt was not updated from what is below.   Also, log3.txt does not show a shut-down......

Screenshot 2021-01-07 at 16.01.31.png

Log 2.txt GizmoLog.txt Gizmo64_ImGui.ini Log 3.txt