Beechcraft Hawker 4000

Goran_M

So long as they're quads and not triangles, don't worry about the poly count. I'm able to run upwards of 500K on my MBP with no problem. The issues begin to surface when you start stackin up the triangles, and the 2048^2 texture files. So, keep all the poly's you want, but limit the textures.

I changed the sofa in the back of the aircraft to look more like a sofa.  Happy with how it looks now.

Today I have a mission to create the entire interior and fix the front landing gear.  Hopefully I start UV mapping either today or tomorrow.

Goran

Err... I'm pretty sure (99%) that QUADS support went out the window when we got OBJ8... A quad is just two tris, blender might draw them prettier but that's about it.

Don't make me read the OBJ8 spec, it's too early in the morning. :D

Right, this is absolutely true...but not exactly what I was referring to. See, when you export with obj8, as you said, it "converts" it to two tri's...so what happens when you export a triange? I believe that is where the hit comes. Afterall, we have all heard and adhered to the modeling mantra, "Keep triangles to a minimum"

Small delay in the Project.

I found a much better, more efficient way to model the wheels and the holes that are cut into them.

Originally I boolean cut them but it was always bugging me that I had to do that.  Now I found a pretty good way so I'm starting them again.

Wireframe coming when I'm done.

Don't you just LOVE crunching numbers??!!

:-\

9 test flights in the last 3 days.

300nm@FL430@M0.84

600nm@FL430@M0.84

1000nm@FL430@M0.84

Then at M0.82

Then at M0.78

Next, Doing it all again at FL450.

All this to make sure it matches performance figures in the POH.

I actually had an issue with the landing gear.  Believe it or not, when outputting the flight model, the landing gear, which was slightly out of the wingbox, was producing drag!!??

So that was fixed.

At least I'm finally flying in X Plane!

grab159.th.jpg

BTW, Theo will be doing a custom panel for the freeware version.

The screenshot above is the freeware version with 2D panel.

obj version has NOT been exported yet.  But it soon will be.

;)

1 quick update.

I may have some very interesting, BIG news to share in the next few days but no details on that just yet.  

If/when it becomes final, I will definitely post back.

Put it this way.  Emails have been sent out and responses have been made.

;)

Also, 1st real full flight was done with the object model in X Plane.  YSSY-NZAA

400 000 polys and fps didn't drop below 21 at the major airports with max detail on.  Flying over landscape and ocean, I was able to get fps in the 60's-80's.  I'll do some more testing at a few other airports to see what kind of fps I get and depending on the results, I may increase or decrease detail in the cockpit.

I'm not going to bother too much with the cabin detail, because honestly, we don't fly from the cabin.

After I polish it a bit, I'll post some screenshots.

Goran

It's amazing what a little more detail can do.  I added more detail to the cockpit (chamfering more edges and rounding more corners using subsurf) and the sim grinds down to 19fps at the busy airports and then adds the customary fog to be able to cope. 

I was actually hoping to have the modeling done by now, but unfortunately, still more things to add/fix/modify.  But not much.

Goran

Please make yourself comfortable!

;)

They turned out better than I hoped.

grab171.th.jpg

The runway is visible because I haven't closed off the cabin and the normals for the fuse are facing outwards.  So the walls are transparent.  When I finish the cabin, I'll close off the rear and it will all be nice and cozy.

Windows are next.

I just noticed a Hawker 450XP on the Apron at city centre airport. If you would like, I could link you to Morning Star's page (Aircraft operator's company) with some details on the plane's interior.

Hmm, I thought he DIDN'T (I'm not yelling) know any body with a Hawker. My mistake.  ;)

On a second note, it's not a 450XP that I saw.  ??? My instructor told me it was a 4000, but the owner's site says they don't have a 4000. Plus, this plane has a strange "lip" or "keel" on the bottom of it. I can't seem to find any info or pictures.

Goran, since you've probably been through allot of info/pictures with the Hawker, did you recall ever seeing a small "lip" or some sort right underneath the wingbox?

I noticed the one parked on the Apron had the lip, it stretched about 3 meters, starting from the trailing edge of the wing, and ending half-way down the wingbox.

EDIT: It also had a bunch of probes sticking out, maybe 7 or 9 probes. I'm guessing sensors, met devices etc.

Thanks!

I'm not aware of any lip.  The only one I know of is the one at the rear.

The 4000 DOES have a section of wingbox that actually comes off at the position you are describing. 

Perhaps if you could provide a photo so I know exactly what you are referring to.

One thing about the 4000 is it is customizable.  I have a lot of photos and some of the interiors are different with the seating arrangements.

I'm not sure if anyone noticed, but that screenshot of the 4000 is at Heathrow airport and is getting 47fps.

Goran

Well,

I don't want to get too far ahead of my (your) self, but I'm going to send a quick email to see if morning star can let me take some pictures.

Apparently the private jet owners don't take too kindly to "strangers" looking at their planes.  :-\

I thought I might put up a wireframe for y'all to see.

There have been a few delays with the modeling side, but it's progressing nicely.

grab190.th.jpg

And the wings.

They are divided into 10 sections for high resolution and no segments are visible in object mode.  It's a nice smooth mesh.

grab192.th.jpg

grab191.th.jpg

Trying to get it done asap but I want it to be pretty.

:)

Goran

No need to rush--your countless revisions and attention to detail are really showing, the model is looking...really...good!  The hardest part about a detailed project like that is once you start making things look good then parts of it that aren't quite right show even more!  I'm working on a major scenery product and it seems that I have to keep going back and re-doing things I thought were finished, because as the project matures and progresses my earliest work stands out like a sore thumb, hehe.  So keep going at whatever pace the project needs, its looking fantastic!

Thanks for the comments, gentlemen.

Another small update.  I was able to get my hands on the airfoil data.

It has been added and she flies BEAUTIFULLY. 

I'm still tweaking the PM version and making sure everything is there. 

I'm anticipating release of the PM version this week sometime.

Goran