737 without FMC????

Hi everybody,

I know the answer is probably in the manual, but I'm so busy, it will be some time before I can read it all! (Unless you can point me to the page number!!!)

I graduated over from Microsoft FSX and my preference has always been to fly the 737 VOR to VOR, the old way!

Is there any way I can do this in the IXEG 737. I've tried, but if I just start up and put in my settings to the MCP,  I just can't get the autopilot to engage.

Is it a lost cause, or am I missing a step.

Any advice welcome! Many thanks and best wishes

yes you can

General tips:

-set your nav displays to VOR mode

-use VORLOC mode on the MCP to track a VOR radial for lateral navigation

-use FLCH or V/S for climbing/descending. FLCH would be a better option for climb not to stall when trying to reach your cuize altitude.

-You set VOR frequencies on the pedestal, you set the COURSE on the glareshield

If you are not familiar with the 737-300CL systems, you may search a VOR to VOR navigation example on youtube, there are many available.

The 737-300 is very good for flying "conventional IFR", with sole reference to terrestrial radio aids, more so than other more modern aircraft which will not intercept and track a VOR radial directly. It has two EHSIs, two RMIs and two DMEs. You can navigate without using the FMC at all (although I still use it for the performance calculations when flying "pure" IFR, not the lateral navigation).

Tip: You can use the FIX page of the FMC to "draw" radials and arcs. It's very useful when flying procedures if you want to use the MAP mode without a magenta line; particularly the arc function to fly those dreaded DME arcs. Also very useful for drawing holds where you can setup the inbound radial for reference and the abeam to start the timer.

Edited by Alpha Floor
  • Like 2

Hi guys!

Many many thanks for taking the time to give your advice.

For  some reason I just couldn't get past the FMC.

Funny thing is, I spent some time flying the B737-200 series, (when they were steam driven!) long before FMC!

All I've ever known is VOR hopping, but somehow the I became so focused on the FMC, I lost sight of what to do!

Many thanks again for shining the light guys!

Very kind wishes

Jim

• Like 1

For what it´s worth: When I was a young FO on the 737 I was flying along on a Captain´s candidate checkride. One flight was from EDDS Stuttgart to EDDF Frankfurt, and this was the one and only time when the FMC on that aircraft was INOP! Imagine his joy :lol:. Nevertheless, the FMC is a MEL item and can be inop (just like the autopilot or autothrottle...) - with some caveats, of course.

We flew that flight (at least the whole SID) with conventional nav - but then soon were given vectors. But we often flew SID´s "conventional", just to stay proficient.

Cheers, Jan

• Like 1