CRJ-200 light version

Nova

Hi,

i converted a few sceneries the last 2 days and noticed, that i really have a lack of good aircrafts.

The x737 is nice, but the fuselage and cockpit are really a pain in the ass and i don't think that it will get better within the next few months.

The A346 from Petersaircraft is just too big for flights that only last for 200-300NM, and has only few animations.

The MU-2B has a cool 3D Cockpit, beautiful animations and a top fuselage but...yeah its slow. The perfect plane for distances between 60-150NM but anything above just takes so damn long.

So here comes the CRJ-200 ;)

It fits perfectly my needs, since i nearly don't fly more than 350NM and this jet is fast and not too big for those distances.

So here comes my question: Have you ever thought about a light version?

This light version will be the animated plane with standard FMS and Autopilot, plus XP standard functions. This would people get an inside view what this plane is capable of but for a lower price.

Later in a few months, when you have finished the aircraft with all the cool stuff, you sell only the top model (or maybe both) but giving people that have bought the light version the chance to upgrade to the "full version".

Why?

Because i want to fly it asap :)

But beside of this you would get some/more attention to the project (don't know if its already widely known). People will be able to get the plane for 15$ and get a really cool plane, that still out stands most of the current available products on the market, but without custom ap, fms etc.

You will have some money to work with, and will release a plane with high detail for everyone for a "mid-price". Those who want more system depth and better autopilot, fms and so on, will pay another 15$ to upgrade (if the finished plane will cost 30$ alone).

Thats just a suggestion, i don't know if its interesting for you.

Pro:

- more attention

- fully animated plane for low/mid-pricing

- getting some money while still developing

- getting an overview how good this plane may sell

- serving my need of this plane :)

Con:

- having to get the upgrading process to work

- maybe loose some money, because people don't want to spend another 15 bugs for features they are not so interested in, but would have paid the full price when having only the choice between nothing and the "full version" plane

Of corse, the pricing is just an example.

Please give this thought a chance :D

Greetings

Nova

The x737 is nice, but the fuselage and cockpit are really a pain in the ass and i don't think that it will get better within the next few months.

If i may, what are your concerns with the x737? The cockpit, if you actually read and take the time to understand the manual, is a work of art and the most complex system in XP i have ever had the chance to try. As per the fuselage, have you seen the wings and engines? the engines spin, the wings flex, and they are of high detail using objects. If you were to invest some time into learning the x737, you may be pleasantly surprised in finding your new favorite plane. Not to say that this CRJ-200 isn't going to be excellent, we can't disregard the hard work of countless other developers in the X-Plane community. In time with future releases, the actual fuselage will be just as beautiful.

Nils

No reason why DRM can't be implemented? ???

Jason,

DRM isn't an easy implementation, and it's not been investigated for non-plug-in driven aircraft. Therefore, as of now, it would not work for a "lite" version.

The short answer to this is "no," we will not be releasing a lite version of the CRJ200. The main reasoning is due to quality control and our beliefs as developers for the release of products at X-Aviation.

I understand this is a project that is long awaited by many, however, we can't let this be justification for a mediocre release set apart from our original intentions and standards.

With that said, we really appreciate your enthusiasm you share in your want for this project. It's all the more motivation to keep it going!

If i may, what are your concerns with the x737? The cockpit, if you actually read and take the time to understand the manual, is a work of art and the most complex system in XP i have ever had the chance to try. As per the fuselage, have you seen the wings and engines? the engines spin, the wings flex, and they are of high detail using objects. If you were to invest some time into learning the x737, you may be pleasantly surprised in finding your new favorite plane. Not to say that this CRJ-200 isn't going to be excellent, we can't disregard the hard work of countless other developers in the X-Plane community. In time with future releases, the actual fuselage will be just as beautiful.

Nils

I have a 22" widescreen display with 1680*1050 resolution and you just can't enjoy the x737. Since 9.3 the cockpit scales, so no more free space on the sides if you have a widescreen. Its a nice feature but it has one major drawback: important things like localizer indicator, heading, moving map etc are not in sight any more. Most of the time i have to look down, to see if i'm catching the localizer or what the next waypoint is, when i will be there and so on...the cockpit is cut into pieces...

The fuselage is total crap...the back has a hole, where you can see through, the nose has so few polygons, that it just look ridiculous when the sun light down on it and you see all the shapes of the wireframe.

The flex wings...they are nice and ich like the animated slats/flaps/spoilers/speedbrakes but that said, have you ever looked more into it? The flap track fairings don't even touch the wings...they are floating in the air. The left Krueger flap is bugged, the texture is not shown properly ( the left when you look forward through the cockpit window ) and the engine nacelles are swinging completely ridiculous when you have stronger winds and gust. Engines have 2 or more points where they are connected to the wing, but its like they have only one fix point...

Oh and the blades of the engines are made out of 4 sections each...when you use 9.3 then you have some really bad lighting on them :D

And if you look closely, then you will notice, that the slats are made out of 4 sections. On night the edges of them shine lighter than anything else. Same with the point wher the wings merge with the fuselage...

The wings and engines are cool, especially the engines, not a single edge, but that doesn't weight up all the minuses on the list. It's a nice plane, but nothing special, not until these issues are solved. Thats my opinion.

By the way: The MU has one tiny bug too :) The tyres look through the door, even its only very little. Tried to correct that in planemaker, but....no chances since its a 3D model, so changing something on the gear doesn't make any difference :)

Jason,

DRM isn't an easy implementation, and it's not been investigated for non-plug-in driven aircraft. Therefore, as of now, it would not work for a "lite" version.

The short answer to this is "no," we will not be releasing a lite version of the CRJ200. The main reasoning is due to quality control and our beliefs as developers for the release of products at X-Aviation.

I understand this is a project that is long awaited by many, however, we can't let this be justification for a mediocre release set apart from our original intentions and standards.

With that said, we really appreciate your enthusiasm you share in your want for this project. It's all the more motivation to keep it going!

Hmm ok, thought since you already got the DRM plugin for the MU it would be easy to get it work with another plane too.

However thanks for your reply. Hopefully months pass by fast ;)

Nova,

The X737 was not made for eye candy. It's like Peter hagers Airbus models, it's made for functionality and realism. Although I do agree that a few minor things could be touched up on the plane, (including a widescreen panel) it is still a great and realistic simulation. If you are looking for eye candy, try XPFW's 757. That plane has both realism and eye candy. As for the CRJ 200, a "lite" version would (IMO) be a waste of time. One reason being, there is more work in creating 2 planes, and the other being that very few people would actually buy a lite version. Correct me if I'm wrong.  :)

Happy landings - Jason

I'd probably not get a "lite version". For instance, I wouldn't get a PMDG plane, as I'm not really that much into flightsims. I fly because I enjoy the view, and enjoy being in charge of the plane, and gotta bring it down safely. The MU-2 is perfect for that matter. And I guess I'll be buying the complete version of this CRJ-200.

What's crucial for me, and killing any other payware or freeware aircraft today is: textures that suck - no shading, no anything. And the lack of a 3D cockpit. I can be more forgiving about the quality of the 3D cockpit than the fuselage and textures. But if I can't look freely around in a 3D cockpit, I feel claustrophobic and feel like I'm gonna choke, as I got the instruments stamped into my face. No 3D cockpit - no go from me.

I sent an email to the guy behind x737 with a request of a 3D cockpit, but I only got some reply where he thought I was being disrespectful.. So I guess that's not gonna happen anytime soon.

Hello all!!

I return from my weekend vacactions with my 30 members family!!! (woooww!!! hehehe).

Well..

It fits perfectly my needs, since i nearly don't fly more than 350NM and this jet is fast and not too big for those distances.

First of all I would make a little of publicity to myself. You have the Javelin. Fast not too big and really really really good to make VFR because the cockpit is full class around. I don't know what do you think but I have a lot of costummers happy with it (not all because all people are not 100% happy with anything you do.. so this is not my intention. I just wanted to make a really good plane for 20$ or so and there it is.

Now, the CRJ... Well.. I just don't want to release a beautifull face but without a good plane inside. I know it can be expensive to have a good plane. Imagine program an FMS like the real one. Systems like the real one, flight dynamics like the real one, and failures system like the real one. Still we don't know the final price. First we have to end it, see how is it done, and the price it worth. But for sure, if it would be expensive, for sure, we would discuss ways of making cheaper options to have it. Don't know. Don't be afraid still of it.. Just see how far we can work on this plane (it is going very very very good) and then lets talk about money, etc... etc.. etc... I am not making this because money for sure. My first important thing is having fun making planes the way I like. I asked to my normal job a time reduction of 2 hours less. I earn less money, and the Javelin still haven't paid the 4 months of hard work (and the patches). Of course I am not stupid and I like money like other people do, but for letting me live, pay my house, travel a little (important) ... and the purpose of this is to leave my "normal" job and do what I like by myself (well with help of people, but at the same level).

And with this, I can say the animations on the plane are almost finished (90%) and I am going to start with the cabin stuff. Parallel with systems programming etc.. etc.. etc..

WIP.. you know!!.. hehe

best!!

• 2 weeks later...

I would like you to know that as part of the X737-800 team that we are working our asses off day and night to bring a new milestone of aircraft to X-plane We are curenttly working on one of the best to date fuselages known to man for x-plane where every animation we take so much time to do. Also A 3d cockpit is in progress. I cannot reveal further but do not talk bad about the bird as for you will be stunned when the next one comes out around July with new 3d elements.

Out of respect for Javier, let's not talk about any other aircraft round these parts m'kay? This is his show, and I don't think it's appropriate to try and steal the spotlight. I suggest we take the bashing and bragging alike elsewhere...Javier, back to you :)

-Nick

Thanks Gilbenl.. hehe..

Well, the thing is lots of poeple comes behing pushing hard, and in the next months you will see projects very very very good that will make x-plane, bigger and bigger, and of course the cake is too big, so everyone will have their piece of it. Free ones and vendors ones.

Concerning me, starting in building planes and selling a product, I have a weak point. Programming. So X-Aviation will do that part for me, but in the future I would like to learn to program (I think never would say that  ;D) because I think is very interesting for me. But that takes time.