FD on manual ILS landing?

Is it normal in the Classic that the FD disappears when AP and AT are disconnected for a manual landing, even if ILS was established before? So no guidance?

Paul

PS: I could not find a key to disconnect the AP, by the way. I do it via the disconnect bar below the AP switches. And another one: What key would disconnect the A/T like the key on the thrust lever?

Edited by Morten

47 minutes ago, mga010 said:

Is it normal in the Classic that the FD disappears when AP and AT are disconnected for a manual landing, even if ILS was established before? So no guidance?

Paul

PS: I could not find a key to disconnect the AP, by the way. I do it via the disconnect bar below the AP switches. And another one: What key would disconnect the A/T like the key on the thrust lever?

if you use the disengage bar it will kill the FDs among other things. Do not use it.

you have to use the a/p disc button located on the aircraft yoke. map to custom command 'ixeg/733/autopilot/AP_disengage'. it requires 2 clic as per the real thing. First clic disconnect a/p and you get an aural warning to be sure this is not an accidental disconnect, second clic cancels the warning.

EDIT: i just realized you were also asking how to mimimic pressing the A/T DISC buttons on the throttles for a/t disconnection on final approach.

you have to map any key/button of your liking to 'ixeg/733/autopilot/at_disengage'

note: all custom commands available you can map are on the aircraft included documentation '2-interface guide.pdf'

Edited by mmerelles
  • Upvote 1

Hi mga010,

We provide these datarefs for the sake of completeness. In the real plane, the autothrottle disengage buttons (just like the AP disengage bar) are almost never used, so there is not a dire need to assign buttons to them. You can always use the mouse to operate these functions, too (if you find clicking the buttons on the thrust levers too cumbersome, just toggle the A/T switch on the MCP).

However: The correct procedure to revert from autothrottle control to manual control of thrust is to disengage the corresponding mode (by pushing the SPD button on the MCP control panel, for example). This will revert the A/T mode from MCP SPD to ARM and you can control thrust manually. It has the added benefit of still having the A/T in ARM, so it can engage automatically when needed (during Go-Around, for example!)

We can´t use the default XP datarefs for most of the AP stuff since the functions of the XP10 autopilot are very crude and our AP is fully custom-made.

I do understand that buttons are limited and that it is unfortunate if different aircraft require different buttons to set up - I run into the same problem on my computer.

Cheers, Jan

Oh, as long as I flew the PMDG 737 I never did it that way. But I am an Airbus pilot and probably not supposed to know this. Thanks for the hint. I tried it. Indeed, pressing the SPD button works flawlessly. Also, just pressing the AP buttons seems to be the easiest way to disengage in the simulator.

This is an awfully well done plane. It has also by far the best frame rates on my system (On X Plane 11, I have used the JD A320, the FF B757 and this B737.)

Paul

Edited by mga010
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, mga010 said:

Okay. I did assign these buttons now. I used the ones from X Plane, but they did not work. Why are there separate Datarefs? I do not have that many buttons to spare. The FlightFactor 757 has also different buttons for the same purpose.

:huh:

Most payware aircraft uses its own custom commands and datarefts to mimic its counterparts real life operation as much as possible.

I would suggest you use a per aircraft profiles basis configuration. To achieve this you can use a free app like x-assign or use a lua script that handles all your aircraft profiles. The idea is, when you select a different aircraft in xplane all your joystick/buttons, keys gets reconfigured automatically for that aircraft. i.e. you can use the same joystick button for a/p disc to any aircraft.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, mmerelles said:

I would suggest you use a per aircraft profiles basis configuration. To achieve this you can use a free app like x-assign or use a lua script that handles all your aircraft profiles. The idea is, when you select a different aircraft in xplane all your joystick/buttons, keys gets reconfigured automatically for that aircraft. i.e. you can use the same joystick button for a/p disc to any aircraft.

I know this is possible, and even downloaded a LUA script for this. But I was too lazy till now to go through the file and check if it meets my needs. Since the IXEG 737 now can be handled visually very well, I still defer this step. :-)

• 4 weeks later...
On 29.07.2017 at 10:17 AM, Litjan said:

However: The correct procedure to revert from autothrottle control to manual control of thrust is to disengage the corresponding mode (by pushing the SPD button on the MCP control panel, for example). This will revert the A/T mode from MCP SPD to ARM and you can control thrust manually. It has the added benefit of still having the A/T in ARM, so it can engage automatically when needed (during Go-Around, for example!)

Dear Litjan,

could you please comment this video 

There are A/P and A/T were obvioausly disengaged at 5:33 before landing. The same procedure I could see on other movies describing UTair landings on 737s...

I understand that there could be some different reguletions between air companies as well as different flight technicues are possible. Also I guess the method proposed by you is more safe than performed on a movie. 

The question from my side is which technique is more common in the World and recommended by manufacturer.

Sorry in advance for not reading Boeing documentation is this scope. But I think the experience of a real pilot is more iseful here))

Yes, there may be different regulations for different airlines.

The FO disconnected both autopilot and autothrust with the disconnect switches - like I said before, this robs him of the autothrottles automatic speed reversion (low-speed protection) and go-around N1 mode.

I think Boeing made a reversal in their recommendation for autothrottle use while flying FD a few years ago - they now say that it is ok to completely disconnect the autothrottle during manual FD flight (like the guy did in the movie), because the "automatic" mode changes of the autothrottle during FD pitch mode changes (i.e. going into MCP SPD mode when going to ALT ACQ) actually confuses pilots. I guess training people thoroughly is becoming too expensive, these days.

The captain twice interferes with the first-officers flight controls (adding thrust), this is debateable. The preferred method is to make a call-out. Just my opinion, other airlines and cultures may see this differently, and of course its better to interfere than to have an accident. Sometimes (especially in the landing phase) there is no time to invoke a reaction timely.

Cheers, Jan