The Immortal DHC-2 Beaver

Pete_SMS

Yes ! We're really interested in it cause it's like the DC-3, for me, those planes are from the golden age of aviation, beautiful mechanic and shape, legendary sound etc...

It'll be a masterpiece...

Yes indeed. Very much interested and looking forward to it! Looks amazing as well!

sorry to be picky (its the Illustrator in me coming out.....), but would it be possible to drop the specular to something a little more matte? I think there seats are a little to brand new.....even for reality! :)

If not just kick me now :)

Reaaaaaalllllyyyyyyyyyy want this now!!!!!!

Slainte,

Andy

NZCH

sorry to be picky (its the Illustrator in me coming out.....), but would it be possible to drop the specular to something a little more matte? I think there seats are a little to brand new.....even for reality! :)

If not just kick me now :)

Reaaaaaalllllyyyyyyyyyy want this now!!!!!!

Slainte,

Andy

NZCH

My guess is the rendering is showing more specular than you'll really see in sim, Andy.

Cameron is right. The specular level in the sim will be lower.

However, some specular highlights are baked into the texture to make it look like real leather. If the overall specularity is too high in the sim, it will be reduced of course. That is no problem.

...But since this is a modernized Beaver, new looking seats are not out of place. :)

• 2 weeks later...

First of all I would like to wish you all a Happy New Year, and take the opportunity to show you some progress on the cockpit texturing. There is still work left, but I thought you might be interested to see what the Beaver office looks like so far.

Beside the modelling and texturing, I continued to work on my plugin framework code, which makes it very easy now to add modules for systems and physics simulations and I can almost treat it as a standalone simulation, which is pretty cool, because it gives me lots of freedom.

OK, here are some WIP shots of the Beaver cockpit. Enjoy! :)

wip268.jpg

wip267.jpg

• Upvote 2

Great work.

I really hope it replicate the real Beaver to the core.

The texture and modelling looks great and I hope it will show flight characteristic very close to the real one.

I think what makes the MU-2 still the best selling aircraft is that Tom did indeed flow it many times and got the feel for it and replicated it in his project. He also pointing to perfection and the new updates will show the love he has for the MU-2.

Many developers, although produce the great models and some even accurate systems, did not fly the real things and they lack the inner understanding of how the aircraft feels.

Keep up the excellent work !

Michael

Many developers, although produce the great models and some even accurate systems, did not fly the real things and they lack the inner understanding of how the aircraft feels.

Keep up the excellent work !

Michael

Don't worry Michael. I am a professional flight simulation engineer and real world pilot and replicating real aircraft behaviour and systems is key for me.

Like I said before, great artwork and technology have to coexist in harmony. If you have a great looking aircraft, but bad technology, it will kill all the immersion and fun. If you have great technology, but a bad looking aircraft, it will kill the immersion as well, because your mind will be constantly reminded that you are flying a 3d model.

Same is true for sound. Bad sound can kill a lot of the immersion factor, while great sound can add tremendously to the feeling of being there. I am not a big fan of the X-Plane default sound, but fortunately there are ways to improve sound by using plugins.

Nice panel texturing! Definitely a must have!

Don't worry Michael. I am a professional flight simulation engineer and real world pilot and replicating real aircraft behaviour and systems is key for me.

Like I said before, great artwork and technology have to coexist in harmony. If you have a great looking aircraft, but bad technology, it will kill all the immersion and fun. If you have great technology, but a bad looking aircraft, it will kill the immersion as well, because your mind will be constantly reminded that you are flying a 3d model.

Same is true for sound. Bad sound can kill a lot of the immersion factor, while great sound can add tremendously to the feeling of being there. I am not a big fan of the X-Plane default sound, but fortunately there are ways to improve sound by using plugins.

I like to hear devs say that for sure! You have the mind of some of the greatest devs out there. Keep up the good work!

Happy New Year!

-NR