Activating V/S or Approach modes

Vantskruv

I noticed when trying to activate approach or V/S mode, the LED does not get lit (so the mode does not work).

I noticed if apply some elevator trim, I'm able to actviate the modes.

Is it so the elevator trim must be in the green area for the modes to be activated, or is just some type of quittance?

If I don't get dragged to work tomorrow I'll try to duplicate the thing and get a more detailed description. This happened for me three times in a row at ILS approaches.

First approach didn't work, could only get lateral navigation to work. So I tried to use the V/S, I didn't work also. So I turned of the AP and did a manual approach (nothing wrong in that :) ).

Next two times, I tried with some trim, and after that I could activate the modes.

I'll check and repost my findings here.

I think it may be shit behind the wheels, though I found some discontinuity with the X-Plane default pitch trim dataref and the aircraft (see last bread text).

This is what happens.

I.e. while climbing in climb mode to a set altitude i.e. FL150. Reaching the altitude the EADI will show ALTS. In this mode it is not possible to engage V/S or ALT modes. I think I remembered it incorrectly I was not able to activate approach mode, as I wrote in the first post, sorry for that.

Though when in ALTS, I need to rotate the altitude select wheel to get the V/S end CLIMB modes enabled. So that problem solved (if it is not a bug).

The problem with the approach mode was that it did not follow G/S. I guess, even if you have G/S established, you need to engage APP mode when below G/S. If APP mode is engaged when slightly above G/S, AP will not follow it.

The other thing which did confuse all of this. I've assigned the X-Plane default pitch trim to my joystick. If you are pressing the pitch trim levers with the mouse on the radio panel, AP is disengaged. Though when trimming with the assigned buttons on the joystick, AP will not be disengaged. Instead, if in ALTS mode, the green ALTS text on the EADI will disappear and a smaller font of white ALTS text below the previous text will begin to flash. I think the programming code algorithms gets confused when using the X-Plane pitch trim dataref. Is their any custom datarefs for pitchtrim for this aircraft?

Reaching the altitude the EADI will show ALTS. In this mode it is not possible to engage V/S or ALT modes. I think I remembered it incorrectly I was not able to activate approach mode, as I wrote in the first post, sorry for that.
Though when in ALTS, I need to rotate the altitude select wheel to get the V/S end CLIMB modes enabled. So that problem solved (if it is not a bug).
That is correct behavior.

The problem with the approach mode was that it did not follow G/S. I guess, even if you have G/S established, you need to engage APP mode when below G/S. If APP mode is engaged when slightly above G/S, AP will not follow it.
Yes, GS will only engage when approached from below.

Is their any custom datarefs for pitchtrim for this aircraft?
Yes, there are.  And you should always use the custom commands for the aircraft if available.
  • Upvote 1