SoundMaxx Questions

Tom Knudsen

Sounds good John.. But...

1. Can you mute those sounds you do not like or even replace them?

2. Can you level the sound?

Airport ambient sound was awesome, some other too like the default sound for B58 etc. 

My question is however, how come you hear bird like sounds in the midle of the ocean, sounds like you are walking in the forrest lol.

3. Do you hear ambient sound inside the cockpit?

4. Seems you do not have any doppler effect or do you?

And here's where we ask ourselves a question...do we want to sell to Mr. Knudsen, or na...decisions, decisions.  :ph34r:

When it comes to add-ons (or maybe X-Plane even), you are insatiable, Tom. And that's without questions answered, regardless of whether the answers are positive or not.  :D

Oh fine, I'll bite.

> 1. Can you mute those sounds you do not like or even replace them?

Have a close look at the picture of the SoundMaxx control panel on the product page: http://www.x-aviation.com/catalog/soundmaxx-p-112.html

You can disable classes of sounds (ie, improved default sounds, airport ambient sounds, nature ambient sounds, etc.) But we chose not to expose a UI for individual sound effects. There are far too many of them and it would get too complicated. It would be possible to hack SoundMaxx's internal sound files to do what you want, but I'm not going to go there...

> 2. Can you level the sound?

Again, look at the control panel. There are volume sliders for pretty much everything.

> My question is however, how come you hear bird like sounds in the midle of the ocean, sounds like you are walking in the forrest lol.

You'll hear birds if you're near the shoreline. SoundMaxx actually issues terrain probes to X-Plane sampling the area around you to try and figure out if you're in open ocean, near a coastline, or near a lake. And it then chooses the appropriate ambient sound, after also taking into consideration the season and time of day.

> 3. Do you hear ambient sound inside the cockpit?

Only if the engines are off, and the canopy or door is open.

> 4. Seems you do not have any doppler effect or do you?

Any SFX that X-Plane applies doppler effects to with default sounds will also be applied to our replacement sounds.

Oh fine, I'll bite.

> 1. Can you mute those sounds you do not like or even replace them?

Have a close look at the picture of the SoundMaxx control panel on the product page: http://www.x-aviation.com/catalog/soundmaxx-p-112.html

You can disable classes of sounds (ie, improved default sounds, airport ambient sounds, nature ambient sounds, etc.) But we chose not to expose a UI for individual sound effects. There are far too many of them and it would get too complicated. It would be possible to hack SoundMaxx's internal sound files to do what you want, but I'm not going to go there...

> 2. Can you level the sound?

Again, look at the control panel. There are volume sliders for pretty much everything.

> My question is however, how come you hear bird like sounds in the midle of the ocean, sounds like you are walking in the forrest lol.

You'll hear birds if you're near the shoreline. SoundMaxx actually issues terrain probes to X-Plane sampling the area around you to try and figure out if you're in open ocean, near a coastline, or near a lake. And it then chooses the appropriate ambient sound, after also taking into consideration the season and time of day.

> 3. Do you hear ambient sound inside the cockpit?

Only if the engines are off, and the canopy or door is open.

> 4. Seems you do not have any doppler effect or do you?

Any SFX that X-Plane applies doppler effects to with default sounds will also be applied to our replacement sounds.

Thanks Frank, I will buy it and

Tell Us What You Think!

Tell us what you think about this product. It will help us provide you with better products in the future and help your fellow X-Aviation shoppers make better purchase

Edited by Tom Knudsen

• 3 weeks later...

Bought it today and I must confess it is ok. Just something I do hope you will fix later on.

1. In cockpit, it is silent which is good, but you should hear airport ambience when you open a window or a door. That would have been cool

2. There is some bugs in the "location" algorithm for sound, where things switches between the different sound classes. 

I will post a video on this matter soon showing my point.

3. It seems to have no effect on FPS, so that is just excellent.

Congratulations on an excellent idea and package!

1. In cockpit, it is silent which is good, but you should hear airport ambience when you open a window or a door. That would have been cool

It already does this. It's up to the aircraft developer to set the proper datarefs. One of the guys here made a script for his aircraft to properly set the aircraft dataref so he could hear the sounds with doors open just as SoundMaxx is designed to do.

Cool, but why not with the default aircrafts in XP?

I suppose for the same reasons I listed above? The functionality is there. If whomever Laminar hired/contracted to create an aircraft used the available datarefs then it will work as it should. More on that here: http://forums.x-pilot.com/topic/8078-inconsistent-ambiance-sounds/?p=86916

[universal Door Open]

new_command=flight_prep/door_open
dataref=sim/cockpit2/switches/canopy_open
values=1

[universal Door Close]
new_command=flight_prep/door_close
dataref=sim/cockpit2/switches/canopy_open
values=0

[C17 Open All Doors]
new_command=flight_prep/door_open
dataref=sim/cockpit2/switches/custom_slider_on[0:4]
values=1