SkyMaxx Pro 2.0 and FPS

SkyCaptainA320

Understand that the amount of clouds we have to draw increases with the square of the cloud draw distance. Depending on how much free video memory you have, there will be a tipping point where performance gets hit. We chose the default setting for cloud draw distance to provide great performance on most machines. You just need to stick with the defaults, or find the point where your system can't handle it and don't go past that. It's already as optimized as it's going to get.

If you've been messing with other settings, such as the cloud detail, minimum, and maximum sizes - these can also affect performance. We chose to give the end user a lot of control with these settings so future hardware and high-end systems can take full advantage of what SkyMaxx Pro can do, but it is definitely possible to set up bad situations for your system if you're not careful. If you want to go back to a blank slate with default settings, delete the resources/plugins/silverlining/settings.dat file prior to running X-Plane.

• Upvote 1

Hey, I do realize there are a lot of settings to play around with. I did just that (reverted back to the default settings). IMO, Cloud draw distance seems to hit my fps the most though. I even managed to keep cloud reflections enabled which are amazing by the way! My frame rates are back to the high 20s so that's where ill keep it   :) . Thanks for the advice.

• Upvote 1

I would say, open up 1.3.3 again and all is good, because the default Settings are by far not as good as the last Version. Cloud draw distance was open to the limit, also Cloud size,rays and Cloud rotation, my iMac runs with 20 Frames if it runs low.

Now it runs with 8 Frames, no Cloud, no distance no rays, no Shadows, no Size, it's not an upgrade for me. You may say i'm rude, but it's the truth. I see a lot of window dressing here.You should upgrade Your Advertising for the Software also, because it say's it has a framerate friendly cloud engine.

This may be true for the next Generation of Computers. That open's the question why You are so kind and give this upgrade for free?! I upgraded, which was my fault, and now i cannot go back. You say, my inability to listen to some established people in the community is causing my frustrations right now.  You suggest me, to take a breath and try and understand how to configure my X-Plane for better performance. You must be some Jedi Knight, You mean I should go down with my rendering settings in X-Plane itself or buy a new Computer, ( We chose to give the end user a lot of control with these settings, so future hardware and high-end systems can take full advantage of what SkyMaxx Pro can do, definitely possible to set up bad situations for your system, if you're not careful ) That's Your own words. Really i took my hat off if i had one! Well this is real Suggestion how it stand's in the book. You are fit for politics man. Setting my rendering option's in XP to default for runnin SMP with kindness.

It's like if Boeing says, we upgrade Your 747 with external tank's for better distance performance, but You never get off the runway.

Yeah man, i blow 40$ to the wind.

So i suggest! Many greetings to Apple and Microsoft.

Have a nice day

The established grumpy old Saynday

I noticed too a loss of fps, but not "steady"...

Instead it seems the fps goes up and down, but I suspect it is not only SMP v2 problem; I think there could be something wrong with the latest beta of x-plane 10.30 (b8). May be we have to wait a bit more for bug fixing in both products to be completely happy. Other than that, to me seems the performances are still acceptable with most hi res settings.

I'm using a i7 3770K @4.7Ghz and a GTX680 4Gb (I'm mostly convinced the high VRAM is the best solution to improve performances in x-plane, together with some FSB overclock of the system bus).

• Upvote 1

I would say, open up 1.3.3 again and all is good, because the default Settings are by far not as good as the last Version. Cloud draw distance was open to the limit, also Cloud size,rays and Cloud rotation, my iMac runs with 20 Frames if it runs low.

Now it runs with 8 Frames, no Cloud, no distance no rays, no Shadows, no Size, it's not an upgrade for me. You may say i'm rude, but it's the truth. I see a lot of window dressing here.You should upgrade Your Advertising for the Software also, because it say's it has a framerate friendly cloud engine.

This may be true for the next Generation of Computers. That open's the question why You are so kind and give this upgrade for free?! I upgraded, which was my fault, and now i cannot go back. You say, my inability to listen to some established people in the community is causing my frustrations right now.  You suggest me, to take a breath and try and understand how to configure my X-Plane for better performance. You must be some Jedi Knight, You mean I should go down with my rendering settings in X-Plane itself or buy a new Computer, ( We chose to give the end user a lot of control with these settings, so future hardware and high-end systems can take full advantage of what SkyMaxx Pro can do, definitely possible to set up bad situations for your system, if you're not careful ) That's Your own words. Really i took my hat off if i had one! Well this is real Suggestion how it stand's in the book. You are fit for politics man. Setting my rendering option's in XP to default for runnin SMP with kindness.

It's like if Boeing says, we upgrade Your 747 with external tank's for better distance performance, but You never get off the runway.

Yeah man, i blow 40$ to the wind.

So i suggest! Many greetings to Apple and Microsoft.

Have a nice day

The established grumpy old Saynday

Im trying to listen and look for any attempt at giving V2 a go but all I ever see from you is a rant about how horrible our free upgrade was and speculation as to why we released it free.  FYI we decided to do this as a thank you to the community......

OK with that out of the way lets help you revert V2 back to V1 standards V1 still exsists inside V2 BTW.....

First turn off the Hi Rez cloud puffs, lens flare,  crepuscular rays, cloud shadows, water reflections and set your cloud details and draw distance to the minimal settings.....

Give it a go, test it out then you can slowly add features back by slowly adjusting the draw distance and some cloud details.......

You may even be able to use the cloud shadows and lens flare crepuscular rays and water reflections,  but be cautious you will run out of VRAM if you get overzealous with the options......my suggestion is to pick and choose a feature you would like to have and see if it runs.....

Sorry for coming off short with you but its frustrating reading your rants and sincerely I would like to work through your issues.  I cannot help if you are going to scream and yell whilst kicking your feet in every post........I have 3 kids that do that and tyically I put them in time out.....

Instead it seems the fps goes up and down, but I suspect it is not only SMP v2 problem; I think there could be something wrong with the latest beta of x-plane 10.30 (b8). May be we have to wait a bit more for bug fixing in both products to be completely happy. Other than that, to me seems the performances are still acceptable with most hi res settings.

I'm using a i7 3770K @4.7Ghz and a GTX680 4Gb (I'm mostly convinced the high VRAM is the best solution to improve performances in x-plane, together with some FSB overclock of the system bus).

It is possible to tweak SM for more consistant performance but some options will need to be overlooked.   You are 100% correct VRAM is the way to go with XPX in general for better performance. 

The older 512 VRAM macs out there need to understand that the hardware will not be able to hold up to the power of both the sim and SMP,  fortunally on our end the user has the ability to scale it to fit the system.  How many options do you have for the defaults?  Thats right one....

Our system:

http://forums.x-pilot.com/topic/7093-adjusting-skymaxx-pro-for-better-performance/

I would say, open up 1.3.3 again and all is good, because the default Settings are by far not as good as the last Version.

Gerhard,

Quit making a bunch of something out of nothing. Why don't you create a support ticket at X-Aviation and just request 1.3.3 if you want it so bad?

I really don't understand your behavior here. 2.0 only adds new features, not takes any away. Therefore, if you wanted to, you could essentially set the defaults that were present from 1.3.3 and be done with it. We have had a number of customers do this with success. Perhaps listening to what is being told to you by people like John about using the UI to adjust items to your liking would be the smart thing to do. No Jedi Knight included.

• Upvote 2

Instead it seems the fps goes up and down, but I suspect it is not only SMP v2 problem; I think there could be something wrong with the latest beta of x-plane 10.30 (b8).

+1 With clouds I am definitely seeing great FPS (better than V1) but with stuttering.

Rather active topic on the other side pointing the finger at beta 8 and Nvidia drivers. 

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showtopic=78714&page=1

Edited by X-Plane Australia

You may say i'm rude, but it's the truth. I see a lot of window dressing here.You should upgrade Your Advertising for the Software also, because it say's it has a framerate friendly cloud engine.

The 'truth'? The truth is presented factually and dispassionately.

Edited by Kris Pryo
  • Upvote 1

Hello chris k

Only because You cannot get along with the truth, You use insulting language, we just say what fact is and that's not bitching and whining.

The only thing that would be fair, give an option to download 1.3.3 again for Users running only 2,8 GHz Prozessors

all others are surely happy with the wonderful 2.0 upgrade.

By the way, if You are so Generous, You can send me 4000€ to buy me a (

• 12-Core Prozessor
  • Dual-AMD FirePro GPUs mit bis zu je 6 GB GDDR5 VRAM Mac
  • SMP then will run pretty smooth i think.

Don't worry, I have a 6 cores/12 thread i7 3970X CPU and the Titan 6GB GPU, with 32 GB of ram and all that goes well with ... Still see bad perfs in X-Plane. But that isn't specifically due to SMP but X-Plane is or very badly optimized or require way too much resources to run smoothly at high settings. With medium settings I run around 25/30 FPS on normal environment and with an up to date plane...

I have the feeling that even with four Titans in SLI, two CPUs on a Xeon MoBo etc I wouldn't see any improvements in X-Plane behavior regarding FPS... The funny fact is that my GPU use never go above 35-38 % and the CPU is constantly idling between 7 and 18-20 %... very frustrating for such an expensive gear, hope X-Plane 11 will only focus on stability, optimisation and stuff like that.

I have the feeling that even with four Titans in SLI, two CPUs on a Xeon MoBo etc I wouldn't see any improvements in X-Plane behavior regarding FPS...

I agree because this kind of equipment misses the core problem: X-Plane runs out of bus capacity or memory/cache capacities, while GPU and CPU have more than enough computing capacity at hand.

Hello chris k

Only because You cannot get along with the truth, You use insulting language, we just say what fact is and that's not bitching and whining.

The only thing that would be fair, give an option to download 1.3.3 again for Users running only 2,8 GHz Prozessors

all others are surely happy with the wonderful 2.0 upgrade.

By the way, if You are so Generous, You can send me 4000€ to buy me a (

• 12-Core Prozessor
  • Dual-AMD FirePro GPUs mit bis zu je 6 GB GDDR5 VRAM Mac
  • SMP then will run pretty smooth i think.

No. I will send you $40.

Send me your paypal.

And here I thought you were being generous for offering to send him $40... And then he demands a $4000 computer. Give them an inch and they take a mile!  :D

Rest assured Chris's "offer" was driven by the same motivation one would have to obtain a soothing ointment for a really bad case of hemorrhoids.  It was not generosity.

• Upvote 4

Rest assured Chris's "offer" was driven by the same motivation one would have to obtain a soothing ointment for a really bad case of hemorrhoids.  It was not generosity.

More generous than what my offer would have been... A simple "Quit your bitching or leave."  :P