Near collision between two planes at Spanish airport captured on video

HarryCYUL

The plane landing was a russian 767. One of the pilots had an interview. He said they were watching closely the Airbus anticipating it was likely to cross the runway so they performed a safe go around. There was no risk of collision due to clear skies and long visibility.

He was worried that the ATC remained completely silent until the go around was completed and they contacted the ATC to inform the airbus crossed the runway. The ATC said sorry for that.

An investigation is open and in progress

The issue at hand is whether or not the Airbus had been given a taxi clearance to cross the runway the second time, with or without a hold short instruction.  If the Airbus was told to hold short, and they did not, the crew will have some explaining to do.  If the Airbus was cleared to cross the active runway twice, with no hold short clearance, this is then on ATC.

Of course, the be all and end all, is if ATC had issued a crossing clearance with a "please expedite", then everyone is more or less covered.  And of course, it is the PICs responsibility, in the end, to make sure what you are doing is safe, if you've accepted a clearance, you are required to carry out that clearance, but if need be you can deviate from it to ensure safety, etc.  

This happens more frequently than most of the flying public is aware.  If you go on Transport Canada's CADORS site (Civil Aviation Daily Occurrence Reporting System), you can bring up a record of over 5000 go-around reports.  Now, some will be GA related go-around events (which is quite common as well), and some will be airliner related, and there are plenty where the narrative will be that an aircraft was slow to cross a runway, or slow to exit, leading to a go-around.

Not all that long ago, I had to initiate an overshoot at CYPK when I was approaching the runway on final for a low and over (low pass).  I was on final, number three for the runway, I had extended my downwind leg to give additional spacing to the two aircraft ahead of myself.  So, I am on final, the first aircraft landed and cleared the runway, the second was an aircraft doing 500' low level circuits, and they were clear.  So, I begin accelerating the aircraft in a shallow dive up to 140MPH indicated.  At around a mile final, ATC instructed an ultralight, who was holding short for departure, to taxi out and takeoff.  Now, I correctly anticipated that this was going to be very tight spacing wise, and knowing that ultralights are slower aircraft, I reduced power somewhat to try and compensate for this.  Needless to say, ATC had to then issue an expedite instruction to the ultralight, which was now on the runway. At around 500' I initiated an overshoot, with a tight climbing left hand turn (the circuit was clear enough for me to perform this manoeuvre safely), and levelled off at 500', and was able to perform the low and over a minute or two later.  Shit happens.

• Upvote 1

Just a video from my Youtube Channel, me and my dad flying in Montreal and performing a go-around because of a blocked runway(If you understand german you can hear the shout-out "Durchstarten"(meaning go-around) just before ;))