Air Malaysia 777 Missing

Jim Kallinen

The Malacca Straits have featured because the Malaysian military have apparently reported tracking MH370's flight path right across the Malay peninsula - a 90 degree left turn from it's projected course.  Unfortunately conspiracy theories abound in circumstances such as these where there are limited facts.  I couldn't agree more that primary radar traces should be a starting point to shed some factual, if limited, light on the aircraft's trajectory and to guide the attempted rescue efforts.  This is an interesting theory based on factual information (the Airworthiness Directive) that appears to come from a voice of knowledge and experience and could explain the quirky cellular communications - but it's still conjecture.  However if the main communications antenna was lost and the plane deviated because of semi-conscious pilots making haphazard decisions due to the accumulative effects of hypoxia then it would be easy to lose track of a large aircraft with enough of fuel on board to fly for thousands of miles out into an ocean.  Either way it is all very tragic.

• Upvote 1

And the Malaysian military said last night in a release, that there was no tracking data that suggested that MH370 made a 90° turn towards Indonesia/Straight of Malacca.  So, there goes that.

Do remember that it took five days for searchers to find any debris from AF447, and they had a pretty good idea of where to look as well, with the ACARS data, etc.  But, that was the Atlantic Ocean, which is a much larger area than the Gulf of Thailand, et el.

We are fooling ourselves believing that, in 2014, we master everything and our technology allows us to do everything, to track everything, to know everything etc ...

We're humans and there will always be ( and hopefully ! ) things that slip through our fingers without any clues why. And we shouldn't put so blind trust in technology, computers etc, the day they fail, we fail :unsure:

My thoughts goes to the victims and their families

There's been a few comments in the media today about the engines sending data long after the plane went missing.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's a hijack.  How many islands around that area still have old WW2 runways on them?  Who would notice a few guys clearing an isolated one on an island somewhere?

That and the phones still ringing is really making me wonder if this is an accident or something more sinister.

Long shot, but the 777 can fly from China to San Fransisco, so it certainly has the range for a very very long flight, particularly to Africa and they do like to do piracy and hijackings there, especially as their usual marketplace has been blockaded by warships for months and they haven't been able to hijack many ships recently.

Could be wrong, but that's what I'm starting to wonder.  I think the lack of a crash site, no floating debris field, plus mobile phones that ring when they should be underwater is all the easy explanation, but not necessarily the right one.

PS  I'm with everyone else on the phones - if the phone is off/underwater/dead it goes straight to voicemail.  No rings, no ringtones, nothing.  Straight to voicemail.  Never had any phone do anything different.

Edited by Nicola_M

Remember that oil slick that they found? Today, they were talking about how the aircraft was flying specific waypoints that weren't filed in their flightplan. What if that oil slick that they found wasn't from the aircraft crashing, but from a fuel dump in preparation for an unauthorized landing? Just a shot in the dark though. 

This highlights what I said earlier  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2580815/Missing-MH370-jet-flown-Indias-Andaman-Islands-according-radar-data-claimed-inquiries-focus-increasingly-hijacking-theory.html

They're saying it was last "seen" 5-6 hours after the transponder was switched off, at 35K ft, 200miles NW of Malaysia, heading towards the Andaman Islands (572 uninhabited inhospitable) and thence to India/Pakistan via IGARI-VAMPI-GIVAL-IGREX.

Personally, turn left a bit more and you're outside radar tracking range, outside cellphone communication range, and en route to Somalia where no one but them will know it's arriving.

Question is, was it a terrorist effort to deny burials (crash in the deep Indian Ocean) or are we about to get a ransom demand in the coming days?

Maybe we shouldn't go that far ... Or Mulder and Scully will inform us in some days that the truth is out there, and they eventually had been abducted ...

I remember AF447, people also started to make unbelievable theories and we were all sad to learn the truth ..

I remember AF447, people also started to make unbelievable theories and we were all sad to learn the truth ..

That one didn't fly on for a number of hours, pinging all the way.  This one remained in the air (for hours) after the transponder was switched off.

It's either explosive decompression - but then why the transponder off?

Or hijack/terrorism.

If it was something as mundane as a technical accident, it would have been all over in seconds, no transponder trail of clues for hundreds of miles.

I can't think of anything, explainable or otherwise, that fits what's been released so far other than A and B above.

Don't want to get into a religious debate, but the current lot into terrorism atrocities regard everyone not in their religion as enemies.  And the last time I looked, China is not remotely Islamic.

Edited by Nicola_M

There has been way too much information released. and them promptly retracted. and then released again.

Frankly, I applauded Malaysian's methodical approach to releasing information, but now, I have my doubts about everything that gets released.  

I'm sick of even trying to wrap my head around what has taken place here.  In the early days, it looked like some sort of a bizarre repeat of AF447, now, this is bizarre.  

Rolls Royce refuted all claims, along with Boeing, that maintenance data was sent to them (at the normal 30 minute interval) after the transponder return, and radar/radio contact was lost).  Now, we are suddenly in the throws of the media telling us that the jet was sending information to Rolls, Boeing, and more, for FOUR HOURS.  

The fact of the matter is, an aircraft of this size does not just disappear.  We are not talking about a 172 in the Pacific, but it would appear that is what is being sought in the search.  If the aircraft did not suffer a catastrophic explosive decompression, was blown up, or was forced down into the Gulf of Thailand, it crashed into densely covered jungle, where it will be damn near impossible to find, until some poor bastard stumbles on the wreckage...

Still just speculation, but a good case that an electrical fire would cause a responsible pilot to do exactly what this flight apparently did - without involving conspiracies, aliens, meteors, etc.

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2014/03/mh370-electrical-fire/

Interesting news from the Maldives there Michael - I just don't know when to believe the media on this anymore.