some questions

TOBS

hi out there, yes this looks like a very nice addon. I have some questions of which I do not find any answer in the manual:

1) when updating to a new clouds and sky clours theme - what happens to the textures of the previous installed theme - will they moved back, will they get exchanged with the new one, do the stay in xplane, are they lost - do I have to restore the initial BU before installing a new theme - or do I have just to install a new theme and not to worry about anything?

2) xplane is able to download and scan wheather every minute - if I am using REX and disable the dwonload of metar data in xplane - will REX update the weather automatically on my way to new locations during the flight that I get the weather of where I am actually am - or is the server only for choosing a location and downloading the metar of this location - with no update during fligh. simply said - what do I have to do to use REX (with a special theme) that the weahther will be updated automatically?

3) will REX work on the vastsim network? here the weather will be updated through the vatsim network connection.

thnx for answering my initial questions - and sorry for my complicate english

tom

1) The default textures are backed up on first start and can be restored if desired.

2) You enable the weather link in REX, then change weather settings to scan the weather file, but not download it. REX then updates the file. I believe this applies weather per your location, but cannot confirm this.

Need an online flyer to answer 3, sorry.

1) The default textures are backed up on first start and can be restored if desired.

Question was what happens to a previous installed theme

Set of textures if I install new textures - not about the initial back up.

2) You enable the weather link in REX, then change weather settings to scan the weather file, but not download it. REX then updates the file. I believe this applies weather per your location, but cannot confirm this.

Here the main question was what to do that Rex automatically updates weather during flight. That it is possible load weather of a certain location manually on the Rex weather page is clear.

Cheers Tom

Apologies tobs.

1) You overwrite each theme with the texture set you are installing - no need to revert back to defaults first. If you like a theme you create, you can save it to make it easier to load again in the future.

2) On 'Configuration & options manager' ensure that 'Enable weather sync with x-plane' is ticked and that in x-plane, the settings for weather have download METAR deselected, but scan METAR file selected. These instructions are in the user manual which loads when you select 'Help' from the top tabs on REXPlane.

3) Having thought about this a little more, REX installed textures will work regardless of the weather source, but I imagine that Vatsim weather updates the METAR file no? in which case, you'd want to deselect 'enable weather sync with x-plane' in REXPlane and just use the texture enhancements to avoid the two weather sources conflicting.

Hope that answers your questions better, but the question regarding how the weather is updated (does it load weather on updates depending on where you are) needs to come from an authoritative source. I can say that it does not update the textures during flight, and that from my flights it appears to give a range of weather which I would expect to match areas I was flying through (deserts were dry, storms were over wet areas).

Hi, there,

Everything Kesomir has stated is correct.

In regards to metar:

It will update and use the real wx during your entire flight. The initial texture set install is to determine the best theme and combination of textures for the wx in the specified area and and some surroundings.

I'm curious, what is the coverage of weather data in regards to X-Plane world? I assume, that all of the main airports and more important places are, but what about some remote areas? I ask about this, because I'm mostly GA and helo bush pilot and I tend to fly mostly in weird and uncommon places ;)

Also what happens to weather displayed while flying, when entering an area, that doesn't have weather data? I can think of three possible situations:

1) Current weather is maintained, until entering area that have metar file.

2) Closest weather is loaded instead of exact metar for a given area (the most reasonable, IMHO).

3) All weather is cleared or set to ISA+clear sky.

Another question is, would it be possible to link thermals to Cu clouds?

Hi, there,

Everything Kesomir has stated is correct.

In regards to metar:

It will update and use the real wx during your entire flight. The initial texture set install is to determine the best theme and combination of textures for the wx in the specified area and and some surroundings.

But how can it update the weather automatically - there is no otption to set - you can choose your airfield (if xplane is not running) rex will sent the best textures for these weather - you disengage download weahther in xplane. if you start xplane now you will have the weather for you choosen airfield - and then - I think if you disable download metar in xplane it will not change! cause rex does not update the weather during flight - I see it like this - maybe I am wrong - but if I fly I do not see any updating during flight unless I enable download and scan metar.

maybe the supporter will help us soon with this question

cheers tom

Hi, Tom,

Nothing will continue to load after you close REX if you choose to do so. If kept open it would replace the use of X-Plane downloading weather ona consistent basis and use the REX download data instead.

Remember that a weather file does NOT pertain to just one area, but rather the single file it grabs for weather pertains to the entire world.

So, with that said, if you download weather in REX, load up Los Angeles, and fly to New York the weather will change as per real data from the metar.

Thank you all for your questions - I hope I can cover them all well.

1.)  Question in regards to texture installs:  If you install textures and then install again, the current ones are overwritten within X-Plane, but if you saved the theme in REX you can recall you previous theme again.

2.) In regards to the weather and VATSIM.  We are using a new weather server that we have created for REXPLANE exclusively.  FSX/FS9 do not have access to this yet.  The data going into that server is from NOAA, which is where VATSIM gets their data.

3.) The weather engine for X-Plane is way different from FSX/FS9 - so we did the simpliest procedure at this moment and that was to use REX to modify the metar.rwx report.  We only tweak it a little for purposes of the texture process, but essentially it is the same metar.  It covers the whole world.  To be honest we are still kind of figuring it out and as we go I can say we will be adding more features or enhancements as we go.

Hi, Tom,

Nothing will continue to load after you close REX if you choose to do so. If kept open it would replace the use of X-Plane downloading weather ona consistent basis and use the REX download data instead.

Remember that a weather file does NOT pertain to just one area, but rather the single file it grabs for weather pertains to the entire world.

So, with that said, if you download weather in REX, load up Los Angeles, and fly to New York the weather will change as per real data from the metar.

hello cameron,

ok this is it like it works - but it will not update if the flight goes for several hours - it is using the file I downloaded at the beginning. right? and the weather will be the weather of some hours before...? sorry but this confuses me a bit - then why not using xplanes weather download? is REX more accurate and why REX cannot take then xplanes job of continues update? I understand that it can only work with the theme what I choosed at the beginning. but during 2 or 3 hours the weather can change dramatically sometimes even quicker...?

But it looks very nice and it is worth to buy it is a quite new view and with a highres photoscenrie and a big beamer screen it looks quite impressive. nice addon.

Tom

ok meanwhile there was an answer of rstough which covers my open questions - thnx

Tom,

More on metar scanning and updates later. It seems you may be misunderstanding what I have said, but I am on the road and have limited time to answer at the moment.

REX weather vs. XP's real weather: yes, the REX weather download is much more accurate than that of X-Plane's.

• 7 months later...

Hate to dig up an old topic, but after reading this topic looking for my answer I'm more confused than when I started.

1.Is this how my weather settings IN SIM should look like to be using REX weather?

5327705641_331b504037_o.jpg

2.If both boxes are checked is it NOT using REX?

Yes that's how it should look.

If both boxes are ticked then the metar data from REX may be overwritten by the downloaded data. The clouds and textures will still be rex though.