2D instrument panel creation tool: Air Manager

LNRalph

Some of the X-Plane.Org users will probably already be familiar with this software. I realize its a bit of commercial spam. But because the instruments are downloadable for free, we like to expand the number of users, so this expands the number of free downloadable instruments.

Me and a friend of mine created a program called Air Manager. It allows you to create your own 2D panel with ready made instruments which you can download for free, but more important, it also allows you to create your own instruments.

Creating instrument is very easy, all it takes are the graphics, PNG's, and a little bit of Lua code which you can create with the help of Notepad++. The only code you need for creating a compass for example is this:

-- Load and display text and images-- Note that the Z order is chosen hereimg_background   = img_add_fullscreen("background.png")img_needle = img_add_fullscreen("needle.png")img_add_fullscreen("backgroundblack.png")img_rotate(img_needle, 270)-- Callback functions (handles data received from X-plane)function new_vspeed_callback(verticalspeed)    verticalspeed = var_cap(verticalspeed, -2000, 2000)    rotation = verticalspeed * (168 / 2000)  img_rotate(img_needle, rotation -90)end-- subscribe functions on the AirBusbus_subscribe("sim/flightmodel/position/vh_ind_fpm", new_vspeed_callback)

The data comes directly from X-Plane, it uses the standard X-Plane datarefs. You can also run Air Manager on a separate computer and send the data from the X-Plane computer through TCP/IP. When possible it is rendered by the GPU, it is even is possible to run one instrument on a Raspberry Pi.

A short demonstration video:

Release 1.1 is almost ready, we're busy beta testing. All 1.0 buyers will receive a free upgrade to 1.1. It will be released next month.

1.1 has some new features and bug fixes, the main new feature is a moving map based on OpenStreetMaps, with the possibility of displaying X-Plane's world data as a layer on top.

1.0 is compatible with Windows and OSX, 1.1 will also be compatible with Linux (also on the Raspberry Pi).

You can see www.airrietveld.nl for more information. There's also a wiki which contains all the information you need to create your own instruments.

Edited by LNRalph
  • Upvote 2

SASL is designed from the word Go with both remote and local capabilities.

There is a LOT of existing SASL content out there already.

Scriptable avionics modeling suite for flight simulators.

SASL features scriptable component model and flight simulation abstraction layer. Simulated avionics can be connected to virtually any flight simulator. Current version has networked X-Plane connector and X-Plane plugin which integrates SASL avionics and X-Plane aircrafts.

Development snapshot builds consists of following components:

1. xap: X-Plane plugin for aircrafts authors. If you are not author it is not necessary to download it.
  2. slava: Stand-Alone Avionics Application. slava connects to flight simulator and shows stand-alone panels. It is lacks GUI at this stage of development so users have to edit launch scripts to specify parameters like simulator host address and password. Example launch scripts for Windows and Linux as well as sample navigator panel provided within slava package.

Personally I think SASL is an incredibly limiting choice, but if all you want is a gauge engine then it'll do the job.

Edited by Ben Russell
  • Upvote 1

Air Manager has almost no limits and is very user friendly, we also offer support and the program is still in development, so it gets better every time. I think that features as OSM map integration, automatic and dynamic caution/warning lists, moving text, etc... really add up, plus a very good user manual/wiki.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

We released a new version 1.3. Right now we're working on 2.0. The 2.0 release is going to have a lot of new features, like FSX and Prepar3D support, but also the possibility to create groups of instruments which you can start all at once or even let them start automatically if you link them to a specific aircraft.

We have been working on the 2.0 GUI last week, this is a sneak preview, but of course not the final design.

post-15139-0-22055500-1409484381_thumb.p

This is the 1.3 promotional video. The latest release (1.3.1) holds the aspect ratio of a instrument when you scale it.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
On 21/01/2014 at 10:40 AM, Ben Russell said:

SASL is designed from the word Go with both remote and local capabilities.

There is a LOT of existing SASL content out there already.

Personally I think SASL is an incredibly limiting choice, but if all you want is a gauge engine then it'll do the job.

Hi Ben,

Can you help me with a SASL and SLAVA version to run in xplane 10 64bit?

My slava can not connect with SASL server.... and some guys told me it is version problem..... please...

thanks..

• 1 month later...

thanks Ben...

Community,
I bought an Air Manager copy and it is a grate application.... A very easy and interesting feature is a database of instruments where lot of instruments are shared and can be downloaded directly from the app... easy to share, easy to download and easy to install.... and you can modify the aspect ratio easily too, so you can adjust your project to virtually any monitor screen size...

Edited by thiengo