New CRJ 200 *.acf file doesn't work with Gizmo

paulferg

I purchased the CRJ 200 at on or about September 6, so am pretty sure it's the latest - that there have been no mods since I purchased it.  Had the pitch oscillation problem severely enroute TJSJ - TNCM - about 30 minutes into the flight, at level flight at 15,000 ft.

I read that the install package included a new .acf file and that would eliminate the problem.

I backed up the old .acf file and inserted the new one from user modifications.  The next time I booted up the CRJ 200 I got a message titled "Activation" and text saying "Unknown Product This product cannot be activated"

Philipp suggested it might be the Gizmo plug in and sure enough, when I removed it from my X-Plane 10 folder the plane booted up fine.  I have no Gizmo conflicts with any of my other aircraft.  Any thoughts or suggestions?

Paul

iMac 27 with Fusion Drive

16RAM and 2VRAM

Xavion on iPad3

Philipp suggested it might be the Gizmo plug in and sure enough, when I removed it from my X-Plane 10 folder the plane booted up fine.  I have no Gizmo conflicts with any of my other aircraft.  Any thoughts or suggestions?

Philipp did NOT suggest removing the file. You did that on your own. He suggested you contact X-Aviation instead. 

By removing Gizmo you broke your aircraft in the process. Ever since Gizmo 64-bit, there are no conflict issues. The problem you're having is related to a modified aircraft not originally made for the activation system. You'll note now that because you have removed this plug-in, a number of your displays will no longer work.

An e-mail was sent to you with the proper aircraft file for the modification you seek.

Side Note:

The message:

"Unknown Product This product cannot be activated"

..was added because many people were fishing around in the Gizmo menus trying to activate SASL products.

Using Gizmo to activate a SASL product is obviously impossible and triggers an X-A system alert 

notifying us of a customer having trouble activating a product we don't even sell.

To stop people abusing the activation process out of frustration with the "SASL upgrade problem"

(and it IS a problem when you have to refer your customers to a fruit-salad spread sheet)

we made the Activator ignore products we do not publish, eg: User Mods.

Edit: Adding link to "fruit salad" spread sheet... anyone for watermelon and grapes?

Carenado Aircraft Compatibility Chart

Gizmo: Move one folder, in or out.

SASL: Hope pray and wait for your upgrades, eventually, then figure out yourself which version you need.

I know which I prefer, but I'm definitely biased.

Edited by Ben Russell

I've certainly learned a lot more than I thought I would today.  I have to remember to be more precise in my wording as well as my thought processing.

What Philipp actually said was "Yes, that sounds like a Gizmo message to me. So ask on X-Pilot forum for that please. I don't know enough about Gizmo to answer."

I jumped to a faulty conclusion and temporarily took Gizmo out of the loop.  The plane booted up (cold and dark) without a problem, and I jumped to a second faulty conclusion - that the plane should now operate correctly.  Having a bunch of errands to run, I left it there.

Upon my return I had messages that clarified the situation for me.

Most importantly Cameron advised me that there was a wrong parameter in the modified .acf file that I inserted in place of the stock one, he made it most clear that without Gizmo the plane will not work, and most importantly, he provided me with a corrected version of the modified .acf file.

So - I have placed the Gizmo file back where it belongs and I've plugged in the corrected .acf file and the aircraft boots up properly and so far all screens seem fine.  I'll do a test flight this evening and know for sure.

Thanks much Cameron, and thanks to Ben R. as well for some background info.

Paul

iMac 27 with Fusion Drive

16RAM and 2VRAM

Xavion on iPad3

• Upvote 1