757 series for X-Plane 10 by ramzzess&philipp

HarryCYUL

Let's sum it up: Ramzzess did a very good job on the exterior of the 757. I don't own a ramzzess plane yet but will have a closer look on this one.

BTW: You have to keep in mind that with the given (small and not-used-to-70-bucks-payware) user base of XP you can't expect PMDG quality for 70 dollars. It's simple math. IXEG might deliver anyway but they are no real company and the income won't pay for the efforts.

Flo

Everyone always bangs on about how small the user base is in XP - I'm not so sure and given the relative lack of high quality models, I imagine sales are not bad at all for a small team. Either way, I agree with Michael, the above are quick fixes which should be done. I will not purchase until the 777 cockpit textures and other visual issues have been fixed.

On an unrelated note, the night lighting in XP has taken a large step backwards for some reason...moving around airports with taxi lights off is like being in a dark field. How are we supposed to support the community buying sceneries/planes if the sim takes such retrograde steps...perhaps a fix is in the pipeline. Rant over. 

Tks

On an unrelated note, the night lighting in XP has taken a large step backwards for some reason...moving around airports with taxi lights off is like being in a dark field. How are we supposed to support the community buying sceneries/planes if the sim takes such retrograde steps...perhaps a fix is in the pipeline. Rant over.

Tks

Maybe I'm being ignorant here, but could you please elaborate?

I would think if you have HDR on at night as is intended by X-Plane then no such issues exist?

Hi Cameron, in setting up XP on my machine I have left HDR off as it was giving me a lot of flickering (or so I thought)...haven't seen anywhere that HDR is a requirement for good night lighting? I have always left it off and only noticed the darkened lighting recently - not just me as there are posts elsewhere and there is a file on the org which fixed the issue (from chrisk) although it doesn't work with the latest version of XP.

Thanks

Thy

Hi Cameron, in setting up XP on my machine I have left HDR off as it was giving me a lot of flickering (or so I thought)...haven't seen anywhere that HDR is a requirement for good night lighting?

The lighting is almost exclusively enhanced with HDR on only. This is particularly the case with aircraft taxi lights, landing lights, airport ramp lights, and road lights, as well as car lights and their light cone cast.

I would venture to say that as aircraft makers have started to update aircraft to the X-Plane 10 specifications, you are only just now coming to realize that HDR is required for the nice effects we desire. Doesn't hurt to turn it on and see what happens in a night scenario for you... :)

I have left HDR off as it was giving me a lot of flickering (or so I thought)...haven't seen anywhere that HDR is a requirement for good night lighting? I have always left it off and only noticed the darkened lighting recently - not just me as there are posts elsewhere and there is a file on the org which fixed the issue (from chrisk) although it doesn't work with the latest version of XP.

Thy,  I think you misunderstand x-plane's lighting engine and how it works.  Prior to x-plane 10, there was no "real lighting".  LIghting effects were faked through textures and there was no "real" lighting at all.  With HDR rendering on, x-plane can simulate "real lights" that cast glows on objects.  So while HDR isn't required for good night lighting, it is required for realistic looking lighting effects.    Texture based lighting effects require a lot more work but have the downside of never shining on anything.    If you taxi an airplane underneath a ramp light with no HDR on, the plane will remain dark...not real.  The best lighting work by a scenery author will combine both technologies but some authors choose to only use HDR light effects, which is limiting for those without HDR on like yourself.  You are mistaken for blaming x-plane for it though.

What has NOT moved forward as much are folks computer hardware, but such is the computer world.  Nobody uses rotary phones anymore and nobody complains now, but for a while they did.  Same here.  In the not too distant future, HDR capability by all video cards will be the norm.   I've tried my sceneries with the latest version of XP and HDR works fine, everything works like its designed to.  

TomK

Laminar

Edited by tkyler

Tom Knudsen: that is what I thought. TomK: thanks for the very useful explanation. I have a top of range iMac which runs everything very well at extreme textures etc. It's just that things look better with HDR off...I admit that I previously only played around with settings in 'day' scenarios. I see now with HDR on the night lighting is much better...but this is giving me a major performance hit. It looks like I will need to have two sets of settings, one for day (as I prefer HDR off) and one for night. Thanks all.

Edited by Thywillbedone

To bad xp looks way better with HDR turned off...

I have the same feelings. I feel like HDR is too high in contrast, but I really love the atmospheric scattering feature at the same time. It's a real shame that non HDR and regular HDR are so much different in appearance!

I agree too.  I like HDR on at night, but not during the day.      Not sure why though, haven't really thought about it, but if we can come up with the "why" in specific terms, we could at least make points to Ben Supnik about it.

TomK

• Upvote 1