Carenado Beechcraft A36 Bonanza is here!!

steven winslow

So does this have the true Asped EFD1000 features, or is this the standard X-Plane stuff super imposed on the popup? It looks like the latter, but perhaps you just didn't have the color map on?

Cameron,

You're referring to Aspen's Multi Function Display.  The A36 comes with the Aspen Primary Function Display, not the Multi Function Display.  From what I have experimented with so far, it has most of the functionality of the PFD, but does not emulate the Multi Function Display.  

I'm attaching the real world Aspen EFD1000 user's manual.  Pages 1-2 and 1-3 describe how you can install multiple EFD1000's and configure them as MFD's.

EFD1000_PFD_Pilots_Guide_V1.1.pdf.zip

So does this have the true Asped EFD1000 features, or is this the standard X-Plane stuff super imposed on the popup? It looks like the latter, but perhaps you just didn't have the color map on?

attachicon.gif0309 EFD1000ATP_hires.jpg  <----- Click to see bigger.

It does have a map. It is pretty much X-Plane's default but with improved icons. http://www.carenado.com/CarSite/Portal/image/productos/XBE700/5.jpg

If using the GPS or Airtrack, your route line does get drawn on the map. It can also be changed to arc mode. I do not see a terrain map, seems to be what you see in the picture but hey, it's a start! I really do enjoy this aircraft. 

Edited by PWJT8D

Cameron,

You're referring to Aspen's Multi Function Display. The A36 comes with the Aspen Primary Function Display, not the Multi Function Display. From what I have experimented with so far, it has most of the functionality of the PFD, but does not emulate the Multi Function Display.

I'm attaching the real world Aspen EFD1000 user's manual. Pages 1-2 and 1-3 describe how you can install multiple EFD1000's and configure them as MFD's.

Okay, so do you know the answer? Is this OpenGL custom code or is it default X-Plane data imposed as an Aspen? Based on the way the map is laid out it looks like X-Plane's default.

So I sent a private message on the .org to inquire about the Aspen and this is the response I got.

"The Aspen PFD has about the same functionality as the one published for FSX.  It is completely programmed from scratch.  (Otherwise, the 2D pop-up window wouldn't work).  It is highly functional, including running on battery power, which slowly depletes, when there's no power to the unit, multiple settings, including speed bugs, moving map preferences, and other settings that get saved to file, and get called up at next aircraft load.  The position and size of the 2D pop-up window also gets saved.  

There's very little this EFD1000 does not do in this simulation; the real one is able to interact with other units, to display stuff in reversionary mode, and to complement the other displays.  The way this one's used in the Bonanza is pretty much as functional as it would be in a similar real-life installation. "

I am still on the fence about purchasing the aircraft but if I do I will post a video with the functionality included on youtube.

I am skeptical on this information about the moving map and how it's drawn. Yes, I agree the plug-in would be used for the 2D portion of it. That said, the look of some of that map and how it's drawn looks strikingly familiar to X-Plane (and not because X-Plane is crazy accurate, either).

Steven, can you confirm if it's created with SASL or a custom plug-in (C/C++) outside of that?

I'm considering purchasing this myself. If it IS an Aspen simulated to the real one then this is a great step and something I'd happily recommend against our already existing catalog should someone ask about whether we have certain products that fit their needs. It would not be the first time I have happily recommended Carenado/Dan's efforts.

Based on the way the map is laid out it looks like X-Plane's default.

Well, I was not yet able to buy this, because Carenado does not accept PayPal, and I'm really desperately waiting for their resellers to offer that plane.

Anyway, my impression is that the GRAPHICS of the Aspen are all drawn by the plugin and thus probably look better than XP's default. I think this is clearly visible from the screenshots.

But I am not expecting any FUNCTIONAL features that go beyond X-Plane's standard capabilities.

On the other hand: The Aspen PFD seems to be a pretty basic thing anyway, so despite the colorful moving map, XP's standard features drawn pretty and attached on a realistic user interface should be enough to make it plausible.

Anyway, my impression is that the GRAPHICS of the Aspen are all drawn by the plugin and thus probably look better than XP's default. I think this is clearly visible from the screenshots.

But I am not expecting any FUNCTIONAL features that go beyond X-Plane's standard capabilities.

From a technical standpoint this somewhat contradicts.

Are you suggesting that this is custom coded OpenGL, or are you suggesting that this is a default X-Plane functionality prettied up with graphical changes (which is possible)? That would just be custom art assets making the default EFIS appear more like an Aspen setup.

Hoping Steven will get the clarification on that, and weather this apparent OpenGL is done with SASL or another plug-in, as well as how much of the systems actual functionality is plugin driven.

From a technical standpoint this somewhat contradicts.

Are you suggesting that this is custom coded OpenGL, or are you suggesting that this is a default X-Plane functionality prettied up with graphical changes (which is possible)? That would just be custom art assets making the default EFIS appear more like an Aspen setup.

I am suggesting that this works similar to some other payware in the past that have pretty looking PFDs, with crispy-clear vector graphics, but do not implement any special features the PFDs of the original planes have.

Like the Challenger 300, for example. Its PFD uses both clear-looking vector graphics, but combines it with standard stuff, like in the following screenshot:

http://xsimreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/c300-panel-2.jpg

There, the compass, speedtape, artificial horizon and the fonts are vector-based, but the icons on the compass and the distance shown in the upper left of the compass are standard-XP.

I suppose the A36 goes a little bit further (such as the replacement of standard FIX icons with better ones) and I think it will DRAW most of the stuff vector-based (i.e. with a plugin), but it does not mean that the simulated Aspen would include all the functionality the real one has (except, as I also suppose, the real one's is limited anyway).

However, I consider this A36 are very important step for Carenado.It's their first glass-cockpit approach for X-Plane, and I really hope that one day they will be able to port their Cirrus SR22. Which has a G1000.

Edited by mariodonick

Okay, so what you're saying is really nothing more than a generic instrument with custom vector graphics. That's just a pretty GUI for what X-Plane already provides by default.

Anyone can do that without a plugin already (that's one cool thing about X-Plane).

That said, I'm hoping there's more to this than just a pretty costume on a generic instrument.

Okay, after some playing around and experimentation, here's what I have discovered:

Without SASL, NONE of the Aspen works. Neither the graphics, nor the logic, nor the pop-up window, nor its interaction with the autopilot, nor the knobs, nor the click zones, etc.  

It appears the way it's programmed, it makes use of some pixel graphics, some fonts, and some vector graphics.  

Functionality seems to be all programmed from scratch, tapping into some X-Plane datarefs, but most of the datarefs are custom.  There's NOTHING "X-Plane default" about this Aspen.  Not the graphics (ALL graphics are high-quality, high-resolution custom graphics), not the logic, not the pop-up functionality.  Only some datarefs used to display stuff like artificial horizon are X-Plane's and even these datarefs are subject to custom plugin commands to reflect the real EFD1000's functionality.  Even the database used to show the moving map is custom-compiled and calling in this database is done with SASL.  Drawing the stuff on the map is done with SASL as well.  X-Plane's datarefs are used also to interact with the Aspen, so that things like Moving Map de-cluttering and zoom functionality or barometer settings or speed, altitude, and heading bugs are in sync with X-Plane's commands.  

The source files are not locked. It's all there:  the graphics, the code, even SASL as a plugin is open-source, so you can feel free to look under the hood all you want. 

I'm attaching some screenies of the EFD1000 popup showing the menu pages.

EFD1000_screenies.zip

• Upvote 2

Great step forward and one more thing to show off to those who doubt X-Plane's capabilities. :)

Indeed!  Pretty exciting stuff!

But its in need of some Winslow liveries... hint hint :)

I was thinking the same thing!   :rolleyes:   That and I still need to finish up some Caravan liveries....and the Skymaster is begging for some love, too.  So much to do....so little time!

Hey, thanks Steve.

I wasn't going to add yet another Beechcraft to the stable, but your rather exhaustive research and the outcomes got me excited.

This may be an indicator that Dan's getting closer to the holy grail... terrain! Then the Kodiak will get some attention again.

So, I'm off to clean up the hangar to fit my new Beech (after it lands where my PayPal can get it)   :)

Cheers,

Joel

Well, I take back some of my comments here. It's not entirely what was expected.

OpenGL is not present, though it's definitely driven by SASL. It's primarily a work of images drawn similar to generic instruments in X-Plane.

I can't comment on full functionality (primary commentary comes from a known programmer), but after I have enough time to do so I'll report back.

So no OpenGL probably means that the way how these lines which connect waypoints on the map is using the XP standard red lines, and curves are not rounded? I also suppose your initial question regarding a colored map is answered with no.

Is there a manual or a list where one can see which features are, and which are not, simulated?

On the other hand, the 2 years old FSX version of this plane did not have such functions either. I think for the rest of functions, the used approach might be okay (and certainly the visual quality is much much better than default.)

A really awesome step forward would be a more-functional GNS430. In the F33. With the A36 glass panel. :D

Regarding X-Plane standard instruments, the first step should be to make them more readable. The GNS430 works okay, albeit lacking important features, but it looks plain ugly when used in a 3D cockpit in 1920x1080 resolution. When used in planes like the Carenado planes which have very realistic looking cockpits, the standard GNS spoils everything.

I wonder why Laminar does not do something about this.

• Upvote 1