General flightdeck lighting - too bright/glitches

Simmo W

Hi Javier, bought the plane, looks great! Looks a huge effort

Ever the night lighting lover, I found the below issues, read the manual and adjusted down all dome lighting but could not get the 'subtle' look like with the CRJ. This was in HDR, 64bit beta 5. I tried 32 bit but it keeps crashing.

When I use the snazzy control column lighting control, I get the weird patchwork lighting, with some lit textures missing and again, the rest still too bright.

Thanks

s0wK2.jpg

noTU0.jpg

As you can see the menus are JUMPING in front of you because all other is black. That is done by design. yes... I know that is not a good view looking.. but is viewable. The menus has to be seen everytime! (I have a bug there that must correct.. but is other thing).

About the illumination of the front panels. I divided in 3 parts as the real plane. In the CRJ200 is only 1 when it should be 2. To divide with LIT textures you have to choose which elements are LIT by a dataref and what others are lit by other. When you illuminate one the other is totally black. What I did was put one of the 3 internal lights in the middle.. so any illumination of any of the 3 panels will make this one illumiante the rest to have something like a reflection light.. so more natural.

The problem with this are 2:

1. That light cannot move... so it has to be in the center. If the sides are illuminted.. the more catched illumination will be the center one.. when it should be that 3D light more near the illuminated panel. BUT as said we have only 3 internal light.. and one was already pitch up for the flood and the other for the reflection produced by the cabin light (I considered that have a totally black cockpit when the cabin light is on.. is not acceptable. Something should affect).

2. When you use a 3D internal plane maker light.. there is a big problem. The LIT and 3D light fight each in between.. So If you put the instruments light OFF and the flood lights ON you will see the TXT labels black. I cannot do anything about this. 

Illuminate as other things in games industry is a matter of illusion. Lots of things are fake to not have a big impact in frames. If in future Ben gives me more internal lights and with shadows I will start not using the LIT textures. Meanwhile.. if I want to separate something...... I have to use them

About the intensity... yes.. well.. after a full night in the disco and a late going to sleep and someone put the blinds up when you just slept 2 hours all is soooooo bright!!!! hahaahahahah

No.. this is because the 3D light I am using for the panels..... it affects the LIT one (it should not) and that is the point where the LIT and 3D internal lights fight between them... but I need to use one to reflect the rest of the panels when they where off.

Even the panel ratio maximun is not 1.0... is 0.75. Imagine how it was at 1.0. Of course always the user has the possibility of set a lower ratio.

• Upvote 2

About the intensity... yes.. well.. after a full night in the disco and a late going to sleep and someone put the blinds up when you just slept 2 hours all is soooooo bright!!!! hahaahahahah

I don't know where you find all the energy, let alone the time to spend all night at the disco....AND. find time to produce fantastic aircraft like the BAE-32.... AND   answer all these forum posts!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

cessna729.

• Upvote 1

arggg!! going to see if I can end the spanish manual.. here in spain not so many people speaks english... and is bad a spanish don't write a manual in his language!

BUT is soooooo boring write!!! sooooo boring!!

Can't you just feed it into Google Translate? or doesn't Google Translate as well as they say?

¿No puedes darle de comer a Google Translate? o no es el Traductor de Google, así como dicen?

cessna729.

I think the aswer you have is in the translation you made.

translate from that to english: "Can't you give food to Google Translate? or is it not the google translater, as they say?

Well... it can be good for something.. but lot is lost.. and is my mother language!! :P

• Upvote 2

Javier, you did a tremendous job with the manual IMO and a spectacular job with the aircraft. With my settings (no HDR cause it stuffs my framerate) I have arguably the best cockpit of any of the planes I tend to fly in X-Plane (MU2, BK-117 & Q-400). The flightdeck lighting is just pretty much spot on for me as are most other aspects of the aircraft. I'm so enthusiastic about this plane!

Simmo old mate, I'm really looking forward to X-SimReviews treatment of this aircraft!

Edited by Kris Pryo

Thanks for the mega detailed explanation Javier. In English too! I hadn't thought of your own problem of being expected to produce a native Spanish version. Yes it would be boooooring! And no, Google Translate wouldn't be accurate enough.

Pity about the lighting. I'll stick to daytime, she's prettier then anyway.

I worked as a line engineer for many many years. You would be surprised how dark a cockpit was on a night arrival. Everything would be turned down to minimum, because as time went on the crews night vision improved. It is exactly the same in a sim, and I always find that the cockpit lighting is to bright if i fly a route that takes more that about twenty minutes. Full bright to zero is the only option that really works. 

I worked as a line engineer for many many years. You would be surprised how dark a cockpit was on a night arrival. Everything would be turned down to minimum, because as time went on the crews night vision improved. It is exactly the same in a sim, and I always find that the cockpit lighting is to bright if i fly a route that takes more that about twenty minutes. Full bright to zero is the only option that really works. 

Totally agree, interior lighting, esp. dome, is so distracting at night. How many people drive at night with their interior light on? Not many I think.

In real life there's a lot more tactile feedback when driving your car @ night  :)

Flying a monitor requires sight ... and a dark screen doesn't really provide the same type of light to simulate night vision imo.

I'm fairly well experienced in using my night vision from my infantry days and then later working security ... and a dark monitor just  doesn't come close imo.

Whats wrong with turning off the dome light, reading lights etc and using the rheostats to dim the remaining panels lights.  By the way these controls only work when the plugin works ie 32 bit.

As said before the plane still is not ready for 64bits.. so no lights, no engines.. no systems would work in 64bits. Only 32bits for now. When the beta comes to final AND Ben send me a template of how configure C++ to compile in 64bits, then there will be 64bits version. Now that everything is changing and what is working now next beta is not going to work I don't want to work on the 64bits.

As said before the plane still is not ready for 64bits.. so no lights, no engines.. no systems would work in 64bits. Only 32bits for now. When the beta comes to final AND Ben send me a template of how configure C++ to compile in 64bits, then there will be 64bits version. Now that everything is changing and what is working now next beta is not going to work I don't want to work on the 64bits.

100% agree Javier. My post was directed at the several posters above who complained about over bright panel lighting. The effects they were looking probably were the result of trying to incorrectly run the Jetstream in 64 bit where most of the plugin driven lighting switches and rheostats could not be expected to work.