Feathering prop

sd_flyer

The angle of the props when fully feathered is 81°. Because of this, they will sometimes continue to windmill.

Example:

Actually this video is a good example what happend after the mixture is being cut - remaining fuel still get pumped from the engine, so the engine spatter few times before quiting.

Anyway my original question was is that possible to feather the prop in X-plane? Since I know for the fact that feathered prop doesn't windmill because the whole point of feathered prop is remove drag produced by windmilling one

P.S. I have flown both PA-44 and Be-76

Actually this video is a good example what happend after the mixture is being cut - remaining fuel still get pumped from the engine, so the engine spatter few times before quiting.

Anyway my original question was is that possible to feather the prop in X-plane? Since I know for the fact that feathered prop doesn't windmill because the whole point of feathered prop is remove drag produced by windmilling one

P.S. I have flown both PA-44 and Be-76

If you're talking about "fully feathered to 90°", then yes, it is possible. It's possible to feather props to any amount.

The Beech Duchess prop feathering limit is 80° to 82°. I set it to feather at 81°.

Taken from the Beech Duchess TCDS:

"Pitch setting at 30 in. station:

low 12.1° +- 0.01°, high 17° to 20°, feather 80° to 82°"

Pulling the prop levers on the throttle console all the way back will set the props to a feathering position of (what I set it as) 81°. Because of this, there will occasionally be some amount of windmilling.

Edited by Goran_M

• 3 weeks later...

Happy New Year Goran!

Actually technically it's not "Duchess prop" it's Hartzell two bladed prop

If RPM is above 950 (which is typically windmilling prop) and the prop leverage is moved in feathered position the propeller must feather and stop. In the feathered state not only the blades go to high AoA, but also the spring will prvent prop from windmilling. In turn if RPM is less 950 (which is typically on the ground) start lock latch would prevent prop from autofeathering.

Prop_Hartzell_S2.jpg

As I mentioned above I have flown both Sminole and Duchess and have done quite a bit of actual engine shut during the flight. Furtunatelly, they were all part of my training (commercial multi-engine addon) not a consequence of actual failure :) So with all do respect the feathered prop has never windmilled in my experience. Another question if it's possible to implement in X-plane or not. I'm not an expert in this field

I would just add, with my humble experience.

It's totally possible without plugins.

For the might B-17, I changed the default values in the cockpit.obj file from 89.9 ° ( wrong, the props windmilled ) to 80,4 and then, no more windmilling.

Just have to find the good value..