Landing Issues

I'm experiencing difficulty with the whole approach and landing.  The plane simply will not descend and decelerate as expected when power is reduced and flaps and gear are deployed. Attempting to descend to pattern altitude, IAS remains very high even with the power pulled back to flight idle.  I can't get it below 200 knots in a 500 fpm descent.  I have to extend gear and flaps well above published speeds in order to slow down.  Once full flaps are out, the nose wants to pitch up dramatically.  Rather than slowing down, the plane simply starts climbing again.  It requires nearly full nose down trim in order to descend.  At flight idle, gear down, full flaps and following the normal glide path (VASI or PAPI - two red, two white) the plane will not go below 140 KIAS.  It simply won't slow down.  Pulling the nose up to flare just puts it back into a climb.  Forcing it onto the runway at such a high speed results in bouncing and wheel-barrowing down the runway.  Eventually it slows down enough to land, but it eats up most of a 10,000 foot runway.  Anything shorter and I end up running off the end of the runway.  It's like it either doesn't have any drag or the engines are producing way too much thrust at flight idle or both.  The issue of the extreme nose pitch up that occurs with flap deployment and full nose down trim required to counteract this exacerbates the problem.  I am an experienced X-Plane pilot as well as a real world pilot, so it's not that I don't understand how an approach and landing works.  Anyone else experiencing similar issues or know what the problem could be?

Hello Anthony,

I did not have this kind of issue. What I do usually is to descend to the IAF altitude at 2-3 nm short before. Then, in flight level and reducing the throttles, the speed will gently get down below 175 kts. I set flaps 5 before I am established on the ILS. On the glide, 6-8 nm before the threshold, I deploy the gear and when the speed slows down below 140 kts, I set flaps 20. Then, you should maintain a speed around 120 kts, with a torque about 40% (condition levers in TO position : it helps to decrease the speed of course). When the autopilot is disconnected, I have to trim up the plane and it's often necessary to advance the throttles a little bit.  When training on a circuit, I set gear and flaps 5 in rear wind and below 145 kts, I set flaps 20 to get a speed of around 120 kts when entering the base and descend. On the flare, speed decreases quite quickly. So, I reduce the throttles very slowly to idle after passing the threshold, or the plane would fall down in a hard landing.

Edited by danhenri

On 8/15/2022 at 10:15 PM, Anthony Clark said:

Anyone else experiencing similar issues or know what the problem could be

At the very least, you want to make sure you have the 2.0.2 update, which adjusted the engine torque at FI.   With the power levers pulled back to Flight Idle on descent, what are the torque-meters reading?  They should be approx 20% in 2.0.2.  

TK