How to map AP Disconnect to either joystick of keyboard on Saab 304a

Noel Murray

My usual (for other x plane aircraft) joystick button to disconnect the AP does not work for the Saab 304a. I have tried several other mapping option in X Plane settings but have been unable to find an option that works.  Moving view to the centre pedestal at a critical time of landing is not ideal (to turn off using AP switch) which leaves only landing with AP connected which is just not right. I have almost mastered this aircraft apart from this aspect (and Rev Thrust) and really like it (maybe VS selection is a little cumbersome).  Any hints / tips on what x plane setting option should be used to map AP disconnect would be appreciated.

Thank you.  I was aware of the red button on the yoke but this only provides half the answer - it does not engage the AP ( yes I accept I probably didn’t cover engaging the AP in my initial question).  During take off, taking your eyes away from your attitude is not great - in fact I find that my aircraft invariably enters a left role when I am trying to engage.  I can set a wide field of view to see everything but then my building look really odd.  So my basic question was what x plane settings command can be set to engage the AP (and disconnect).

I note the command line of information you provided but I really don’t know what to do with that ( I am using iMac)

4 hours ago, Noel Murray said:

Thank you.  I was aware of the red button on the yoke but this only provides half the answer - it does not engage the AP ( yes I accept I probably didn’t cover engaging the AP in my initial question).  During take off, taking your eyes away from your attitude is not great - in fact I find that my aircraft invariably enters a left role when I am trying to engage.  I can set a wide field of view to see everything but then my building look really odd.  So my basic question was what x plane settings command can be set to engage the AP (and disconnect).

I note the command line of information you provided but I really don’t know what to do with that ( I am using iMac)

You can bind the following to engage/disengage the autopilot.  

Screen Shot 2022-06-19 at 11.06.39 AM.png

Note that in order to silence the disco alarm you will need to use the red button on the yoke. 

• Upvote 1