I tried FSX again today

OlaHaldor

Due to the PMDG 737NG boom on all FS forums I've been to, I figured "what the heck, I'll install it again". I haven't touched FSX since they released it.. was it fall 2006? Well.. I've been an X-Plane guy since 2008 or so. Can't say I miss MSFS at all.

I must say - yes, the graphics do appeal to me. Even though they appear visually better or more detailed, I still think X-Plane looks more dynamic and "rounded" than FSX which looks kind of "square". I don't know how to give a better description.

First thing that hit me - "OMFG there's this wannabe majestic music in the menu". The menu was in general slow and sluggish. And selecting planes didn't appeal to me at all. I'm too used to X-Plane. But I don't think that's a bad thing.

In general, what hit me was that I wonder why so many use FSX. I didn't find it "real" or anything. It felt.. pre-calculated as if I was just sitting on a predefined path like a rollercoaster. I especially find it funny that a few cocky "I want it as real as possible" pilots swear to use MSFS only. They're like religious about it. And I'll leave them alone to worship the holy simulator. I'm far from being converted.

The one thing that I really like is the general scenery. There's buildings all over. They might not be correct, but at least there's something. But that's it. Thank God I quit MSFS and went to the dark side (they were out of cookies though).

Edited by OlaHaldor

Scenery...is probably the biggest thing of all though. Flight simulation is mostly a visual experience and the more visual stuff, the better. My favorite line over the years is..."if all things were visually equal, users would choose x-plane every time"...because of it's smoothness and rendering. X-Plane 10 is setting out to change the visual landscape..and from what I've seen, it's doing a darn good job! More and more users will come to x-plane after V10 ships....many will find things to complain about just because they don't want to see Austin make progress...and their arguments will be opinions, not facts. The x-plane landscape is changing...literally (pun intended). ..and after the ixeg guys get their 737 out, I think x-plane will take top crown in simulation visual richness and functional fidelity. There are also some awesome scenery things coming down the way and scenery creation in x-plane 10 will spawn a whole new "club" of developers . We're going to work to make x-pilot scenery creation central.

That PMDG has a lot of people curious Ola. Interesting that u felt that urge like I did. Ha, that music is very annoying! I switch it off very quickly. You're right, that launch menu is so ancient and sluggish, plus a few of us are having probs with crashes. Incredible for such an old game. I have bookmarked about 10 possible solutions, so it's NOT for the faint-hearted! But worth it I hope.

The PMDG is good, but is heavy on resources. Only 24 fps at Sydney, but does feel smooth, convincing handling. Up to 35fps in the air.

Tom, great to see your own impressions of 10, we'd all love to hear more, even if it's months away. I feel like I'm seeing a preview now with fsx, with some of the (non- dynamic) lighting and clouds, and that's all just with one core being used!

FSX is really a Vista game. It runs much more stable on vista than Win 7 I have found which is why I have a vista install just for flight sim. As per my PM, check out the uiautomation.dll issue with Win 7 which should fix your crash issue. http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?203306-FSX-Win-7-issue&p=1368158#post1368158

My opinion is that X-Plane is the better base sim, but FSX has more mature addons and the advantage of larger market size. I would be tempted by the PMDG if I didn't use PM, but the iFly is also a good plane.

I got a joystick today. Haven't flown with one since about a year ago as I sold it.

Let me say this. I like the subtle adjustments I can do in FSX much better than in X-Plane. X-Plane becomes so super sensitive in comparison, even when I've adjusted whatever I can adjust in XP.

I guess I'm not alone about that one. The REALISM feel is better in XP, but the controls are on drugs and over sensitive. Too bad..

I have to admit I'm currently smitten :-)

Ezdok camera is heaps better than default.

I think you have to be extremely selective for planes, a lot of dross. 3d pits not as good as you guys! Well, maybe the pmdg is the exception, for now..

Nicola, Heligirl- my god, the flight model of the Dodosim 206 is freaking amazing!! Freeware interior of sorts though.

Well with all these fsx articles i reinstalled it too.

But i don't care about orbx , pmdg and these stuff, i only have interest in flying GA around my local area.

So launched a quick fsearthTiles (=g2xpl) , and gave a look at scenery editing.

One hour after, osm2xp is compiling bgl files, i made a try on Montpellier area, France, 220'000 buildings, and here's the result:

osm2fs.jpg

link to full size screen : http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/1064/osm2fs.jpg

2.5 fps :D

Well that's just a quick and dirty test, proof of concept is here, it's a lot easyer than xplane (you got a library of nice objects, can play with size , scale etc, no need for geometry checks for facades etc), now i gotta look if the sim can handle such a big number of objects with a few tweaks, dunno.

With xplane i'm on 40+ fps on the same place with g2xpl+osm2xp+rex...

Edited by benny