Twisting knobs / dismissing popups

wadesworld

I just bought the CRJ-200 today and love the aircraft.

However, I'm going to kill someone - likely me.

My problem is dragging knobs.  I'm using PilotView to operate with "2D views" as suggested in the tutorial.  

However, change something like the heading knob, it moves so slowly on a drag I have to do multiple drags to get it where I wanted.  When I wanted to change about 145 degrees today, I counted 11 drags it took me.  Now, granted, 3 of those were because I accidentally clicked the knob and reset it.

I suppose when you have a Track IR and are farther away from the knob, it's easier to get it to move more in a single drag.  However, when you're up close to the knob, it takes multiple drags to get it anywhere.

Is there any way we could have an option for the standard X-plane behavior of left click with the turn indicator displayed to turn the knob left, and right click to turn it right?

Or any other suggestions on how to effectively turn the knobs short of using key mappings for every knob?

My second issue is it's often difficult to navigate back to the proper portion of the cockpit to click on the empty display window to close a popup.  Any way we could click on a popup to return it to its display?  Even a close button would be fine.

Thanks - love the plane overall and looking forward to future versions!

In fact, to be comfortable and as close as possible to real, we need a second 23 inches multitouch display for pop up and panels. Here we could push, turn, twist with fingers as well with mouse on the main 3d screen. Secondly, we need to fly with a copilot thru the net.

Is it dream ? Or is it doable ?

Claude.

Wadesworld,

The solution to your HDG knob and those alike is relatively simple. For situations like that where you KNOW where the knob is, simply go into 3D cockpit mode (CTRL and O key at once) with your PFD already popped up. After doing so, use the 'Q' and 'E' key to move your head left or right.

Another tip and suggestion: In your rendering settings ensure your FOV setting is somewhere around 65 or higher assuming you have a standard PC setup.

Cameron,

Thanks for the reply.  Increasing the FOV has definitely made it more tolerable.  However, I still think it would be useful to give the user's a choice.  Please consider these requests for a future release.

Not likely to happen. I can, however, appreciate your concern.

In all honesty, it's plenty easy to operate this aircraft even in a stressful VATSIM environment WITHOUT Track IR. I do not use one. I get along A-Ok, and I'm sure once you begin to explore and get used to the Pilot View settings you will too.

Many of the aircraft developed these days are done in this instance, and they are NOT made with TrackIR in mind as you attempt to suggest. As far as I'm aware, Javier is the only developer at X-Aviation who even has it.