New Helicopter game/sim

woweezowee

I just hope they don't base it on SAR, as others on their forum are asking. I had SAR 3 or 4 for the PS, and the controls are all wrong (left-hand cyclic, right hand throttle!). ugh

As said, it's a game, so it'll be more about the missions than the heli or the flight realism.  Anyway, round that time we should all have our noses buried in XP10.

Saw that a month or so ago, when I was exploring their ArmaII game. Now that is one nice looking game! But my DS has a better flight model, up/down, left/right..This one looks very promising though, a specific world/sim environment that might speed up the development.

Nicola - I loved all those PS helo rescue games! great fun, and about as realistic as a CONSOLE could get, not that I've flown a real one..

Nicola - I loved all those PS helo rescue games! great fun, and about as realistic as a CONSOLE could get, not that I've flown a real one..

SAR was a good game, but absolutely impossible to play when the controls are reversed from everything else - rc helicopters, real helicopters, simulators. If they had made it with the controls round the right way, ie cyclic on right side, throttle/rudder on left side, then it would have been great.  As it was I spent more time fighting the controller than playing it.

It went in the bin long before I got anywhere close to finishing the missions....

It was a perfect example of how NOT to do something.

I see at SimHQ someone is working on a hi-res mod for SAR4, and it is about to go live sometime soon.

Take On Helo's is done by one of my favorite studios of all time, Bohemia Interactive, and builds on their existing technology that is probably older than 10 years now. Their helicopters in Arma and Arma II was always a blast to fly (simplified model and all), but does offer chopper newbies a great learning platform to achieve synergy between rudder, collective and cyclic without suffering the wrath of vrs etc etc. Not to be compared with Black Shark, the flight model will probably pass for a good one, without too much systems modeling and focusing more on gameplay (without going Ace Combat or HAWX).

Nothing beats the feeling of playing Arma II Arrowhead online with a squad a guys in the back, dropping them off in a hot lz, and then returning to base to patch the holes and pick up the next squad.

If they had made it with the controls round the right way, ie cyclic on right side, throttle/rudder on left side, then it would have been great.  As it was I spent more time fighting the controller than playing it.

Sorry if i'm OT, but as i own a RC heli myself i have it configured this way.

Cyclic left

Throttle/Pitch (depends on the heli i fly) + Rudder in the right

I know someone, who uses

Up/Down + Rudder left

Pitch/Throttle + Roll right  ;)