Really Poor Performance in VR

B738

I upgraded tonight to 5.0.4 now the FPS issue is resolved however I can’t get this version performing for me. Whenever there are visible clouds my performance in VR drops to 10-15 FPS and it’s unusable.  

ive turned off anti aliasing. Cloud draw distance is 10,000 or less and all other slymaxxpro settings are off. 

im using real world weather and active sky along with xplane vulkan. 

I have a reasonable system i9 9900k 1080ti and 32gb ram. 

xplane settings:

Visual effects High (HDR)

Texture quality High

World objects low 

reflection detail low

Vulkan on

Also most of the time at 10000 ft cloud draw I always seems to have clear skies despite the weather being fairly bad.  When the skies are clear performance.  Sometimes if I turn up cloud draw distance it draws clouds even those near by  but FPS performance halfs

Any ideas?

If not I would like to progress a refund and go back to version 4 please.  How do I do this if needed?

Edited by B738

You can simply switch the overcast and cumulus representation settings in SkyMaxx Pro to something other than volumetric when running VR on your GTX1080.

We do have some performance improvements for non-volumetric clouds in the works for the 5.x run, so you can still benefit from that.

1 hour ago, B738 said:

Thanks for the suggestion. 

I see 5.0.5 has been released. Does this include the performance improvements you mention or is this in a more major update?

I'm targeting 5.1 for that (again, to be clear, the performance improvements would be for non-volumetric clouds.)

On 1/25/2021 at 12:01 PM, sundog said:

You can simply switch the overcast and cumulus representation settings in SkyMaxx Pro to something other than volumetric when running VR on your GTX1080.

We do have some performance improvements for non-volumetric clouds in the works for the 5.x run, so you can still benefit from that.

I'm still struggling with performance when clouds are visible.

Ive since upgraded to a RTX 3090 and its not made a lot of difference.. Still only getting 14 FPS when flying through clouds.

I've select SOFT instead of VOLUMETRIC under cumulus and SOLID PROCEDURAL under Overcast.

Is there anything else I can try please?

2 hours ago, B738 said:

I'm still struggling with performance when clouds are visible.

Ive since upgraded to a RTX 3090 and its not made a lot of difference.. Still only getting 14 FPS when flying through clouds.

I've select SOFT instead of VOLUMETRIC under cumulus and SOLID PROCEDURAL under Overcast.

Is there anything else I can try please?

Hopefully other VR users will chime in with what has worked for them. I think it usually involves lowering your resolution or supersampling settings for your headset. Lowering the cloud draw area setting in Skymaxx Pro can also help.

We do still have some performance improvements coming for non-volumetric clouds, so if that doesn't work just hang on a bit...

• Like 1