Strong glide of the nose landing gear

disidd

I noticed a strong glide of the nose landing gear when cornering, even with a dry coating.  Gliding occurs already at a speed of about 10 knots or more.  Compared to version 1.21, this sliding effect is very pronounced.  Everything is logical when wet, but in cavok it even annoys sometimes. I control the nose gear using the joystick, I don’t have a separate axis for the tiller, maybe this gives such an effect.  Or is it a new feature of the aircraft realized? I’m not in a hurry to write down this effect in the model’s bug, there is no mention of this on the forum and maybe this is not a bug.  Has anyone else noticed this behavior of an airplane? I have Ixeg from version 1.2 and I spent many pleasant hours flying on it, but I never noticed such a strong effect

X-Plane 11.41, Ixeg 1.31

Edited by disidd

When using the nosewheel there is an effect that is similar to a "stall" of a wing. The wheel will put out force corresponding to it´s "slippage" - until you pass the critical angle and it starts "gliding".

This effect is real - try driving a car on ice or snow and see how gentle movements of the wheel help in keeping in control - once the car starts sliding, it is very hard to get it back under control.

The problem in X-Plane is that the force put out by the wheel under a certain "slippage angle" is way too low. So people tend to naturally increase the steering angle to compensate, entering the range of free gliding (stall) where the actual angle becomes irrevalent.

Try to use small movements, like jaguado points out. Try to steer smoothly and deliberately and control your speed to be less than 10kts in turns. I will keep pushing Laminar to make this more realistic.

Cheers, Jan

• Like 3