Dash 8 Q400 - first autopilot flight

OlaHaldor

My first trip from one airport to another, with waypoints programmed with the FMC in the AirTrack app for iPad.

The flight was beautiful. I've never experienced anything like a long time.

Want what I used in this video?

- AirTrack plug-in / iPad app

- Dash 8 Q400

- REXPlane (Clouds and atmosphere)

- ENVA scenery (very outdated, but still better than nothing)

It's available in HD, 720 and 1080.

Very nice video, but the props look very weird.

Yeah, i read somewhere that it has to do with sync of fps and rotation of the blades, but it just look so ugly imho.

Just another "not gonna buy it"-point on my list, which is sad, because i really would like to give it a try, but not in its current state.

Maybe i'm got you wrong, but it just sounds like you where never able to fly a plane by using a fmc, or never had one, where the fmc worked. As if this was the first plane which does that right.  :-\

Or is this only related to the AirTrack?

Thanks, flyinhawaiian. I'm on a Windows computer. The specs are mentioned in my signature. I'm using Fraps to capture.

Nova, I agree with you. It's looking kind of bad, because the rest of the plane is looking so good! However, it's not a deal-breaker. How often are you going to look from the outside? If the funny looking propellers is what makes you spend money on something else that's completely up to you - but you don't know what you're missing. With all due respect I'd say that's a rather weak reason imho. :)

It's not the only reason, there are a few more things i miss.  ;)

And i looooove eye-candy ;) I use the circle view a lot when

i'm taking of, or landing and way more often while inflight.

And most of the time when taxiing.

Thats why i "hate" it, that the x737 has still a bug with its slats.

Looks so ugly. ::)

Btw, it might be the video (watched in 1080p) that still has some

reduction in it, but the textures look sometimes a bit blurry, like

in the last few minutes when taxiing on the nose.

There is a fix for the prop.

http://forums.armchairaviation.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=13&id=65&Itemid=2

The prop disc (imho looks much better) is included in the package. You just need to open the aircraft in planemaker, hop to misc objects, click on second page and add in the _propdisc.obj that is in the objects folder before saving.

Voila, blurred props that don't look so strange.

If, like me, you prefer that look, let Jack know so he may change the 'default' in an update.

The whole prop disc thing is a very interesting debate. the real pilots we talk to all love that they can see the prop pitching properly, from feather to disc to flight to reverse, and others really don't like it. As posted above you can swap the discs around to suit your own tastes, but from my own personal point of view, seeing the prop really WORK is so much more rewarding than a one pixel thick disc that blurs. Then again I like to see what effect my inputs are having on the plane, including flaps and landing gear performance. To each their own.

Video is lovely BTW :)

kesomir, I was referring to Nova's post. :) I just tried that prop object now. Looks good, but I'm not sure if I'm gonna use it. I'll try with it for a while now.

So, well. Let's talk video and bring this to another topic. ;) Anyway - Nova - you're in for a treat whenever you make the choice and purchase this bird. It's beautiful.

I like the approach you made. Being able to see the pitch of the blades is a cool feature,

but that it looks like someone made a video from it, just doesn't fit into a simulation.

In real life you wouldn't see the blades as clear as in the sim, that's the only thing thats

disturbing me.

Would it be possible to make some "prerenderings" of the blades, every 50rpm or so

to match the current pitch and then add this image to the prop, so you get at least a

more realistic look?

So lets say: until 100 rpm it is the 3D object spinning and then you transition into an

image until the 3D isn't there any more.  ???

Oh another question: does this plane have wingflex? For me, wingflex should be standard

by now.

I don't want to make it look bad, the exterior looks really nice, but that's not enough for

40 bucks. Damn the CRJ need to be out SOOOON or i will buy it, just because of eye-candy  :)

there's more to it like the eye candy: an amazing flight model. and btw, I like the prop animation.

I'll also buy the CRJ. But I wonder how often I will be able to fly it. It takes time. I quite like the Q400 for its rather straightforward handling. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the CRJ will be a great one. But I love to have a good mixture in my hangar and choose planes that fit to certain and differing circumstances.